Spanish Smells

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Inspired by Morerosado's deodorant thread I wanted to ask you which smells you identify with Spain? You know the ones that hit you as soon as you enter the country. For me its:

coffee (although not quite so much as Italy)
fish (in a good way as in fried boquerones)
jasmin especially in the campo and at night in the summer
floor cleaner (don't ask me why but the small shops always smell nice with their just mopped floors)
nenuco (a cologne for infants which is really fresh and lemony)

Susan

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 4/18/2008.

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
18 Apr 2008 9:26 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Drains, as in the toilets at BCN airport which seen to permeate through to baggage collection!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
19 Apr 2008 7:58 AM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

Sewage! Everytime we went over to check on our build we stayed in hotels in the Torevieja area, not top hotels mind, mainly the cheaper ones, the overwhelming stench on sewage was always there, now some 5 years later, I cant get the association out of my mind, reminds me of a holiday I had in Africa.

I really would love to swap this "trigger" smell with a nicer one

Like 0      
19 Apr 2008 9:24 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Susan, perhaps it's because we use deodorent & you say you rarely do (Susan posted in my thread on Personal freshness !! ) that we smell things we'd rather not & you  smell the nicest whiffs like jasmin, that certainly is a fave of mine, as is stephanotis.

There's an area between where we live in Spain, thankfully a few miles away though, & a place we go to often to see friends & there's a terrible whiff like someone's passed wind &, if my OH & I are alone in the car, we often joke & say "whew, is that you ?" whilst with friends in the car with us we feel the need to explain we're travelling through an area where there's usually a distinctive odour & it's nothing to do with us.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/19/2008.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2008 10:59 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
It's funny as my sense of smell is not quite what it was. When I was a child I had an amazing sense of smell and I was so tuned into scents and they often trigger memories but not as much as they used to. When I was pregnant with my twins my sense of smell was so heightened they I would stand in the queue and Tesco and have to drop a full basket of food and run out since I could smell people's body odour from literally a few feet away and it would make me baulk.It's not that they were excessively smelly or anything it's just I could smell even the most subtle scent that nobody else could.But I still do have a good sense of smell compared with Justin. I think it compensates for my short sightedness!As for horrible smells, nothing compares to the refinery in Campamento/La Linea, it's pure rotten eggs. People actually live a stones throw away and I don't know how they put up with it. They must get used to it I guess.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 Apr 2008 11:19 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Time we got back to some positive smells on this thread!
What about orange blossom in spring?  The season is far too short for my liking but when it is there it is fabulous.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
19 Apr 2008 11:23 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
No you are quite right Jane. Nice smells please! Orange blossom mmm. I also like the smell of the fabulous, middle aged glamourous spanish women that you get around Marbella. They always wear really strong,sensual perfumes and some of the uber groomed spanish men smell pretty good too!!!

Susan

Like 0      
19 Apr 2008 11:56 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Talking about orange blossom our urb is surrounded by orange groves & there are also some inbetween the 30 odd communities. We were sitting outside at friends on our urb recently & I was looking for scented flowers in their garden as there was a very mild fragrance which was so wonderful & I was trying to figure out what it was. It was the orange groves which are nearby. Unfortunately we are too far where we live to smell this.

We used to live in Cyprus & when my sis & I were very young I recall mum & dad taking us regularly to this kebab restaurant which really was just tables & chairs alongside the road between our army homes & Famagusta. The owner's wife used to prepare salads & potatoes & her husband had a large open fire he used to cook the meats on. Their children would make garlands of jasmin & hang it around our necks. Happy days.

Susan, get Justin to change header to PLEASANT Spanish smells. (Drains were bound to be mentioned).

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 8:03 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
One of my favourite smells is the "pasteleria" smell.  It's a different smell from UK bakeries but just has an amazing pull....these pastelerias have a lot to answer for!

Justin

More, Susan can edit her thread titles if she wants but seeing as she started the thread I'm sure she's happy with it.  Let's just get back to the thread please.  Just post Spanish smells that you identify with Spain?

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 11:39 AM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Hi,

Justin, like you, mine is also a food related 'Spanish Smell'.

A walk along the promenade in Fuengirola to capture the heavenly smell of the gently barbequeing sardines is my 'smell'. The combination of aromas created by the crackling pine(?) logs and the sizzling freshly caught sardines on those outdoor converted boats is wonderful......................................quick, pass me the lemon wedges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then I'm off for a lurk around the   pastelerias!

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 11:46 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Oh Sandra!  I know the smell so well.....mmmmmmm....tummy is rumbling now!

Justin

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 1:52 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

What about....? :

gazpacho smell http://www.spain-recipes.com/gazpacho.html or

cocido andaluz smell ( the traditional dish at least once a week in every andalusian home)   http://www.grouprecipes.com/sr/20771/spanish-andalusian-stew/recipe/.

or

romero smell  ( rosemary smell) or

sherry wine smell?

When the Ferias ara about to start people in Spain usually says " Ya huele a Feria" and that smell is a bit of everything together: candy floss, roast octopus, shish kabob...

Summer smell is basically for me the smell of suntan cream  in a sunny  morning at the sand of the beach, some sea smell included too, I think.

Sardinas al espeto  ( kind of barbecued sardines ) smell is also very much a summer andalusian smell.

jazmin ( jasmine) is also called " Dama de noche" ( Night lady) in spain as it smell specially nice at night.

An yes, if you go to Seville in the Holy Week... there is a huge variety of mixed incenses all over the city.

Another awesome smell in Grazalema, for instance is that of the pinetrees at early hours of the morning

I like the smell of wet ground too  ( after a strong storm).

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 4:53 PM by srp Star rating. 62 posts Send private message

Thank you Maria for the recipes I have just printed them off so I will let you no when I make them. What I like to smell is when you walk round the little narrow streets past all the houses, all the cooking smells coming out driving me mad.kind regards,sandra(srp)

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 6:54 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar
The smell of Jasmin on our terrace at night. The special marble floor cleaning liquid I put in the mop bucket (can't remember its name) and believe it or not I love the smell that hits you when you get off the plane at the airport - my children always called in the "ice cream van smell" - the rest of us would call it aviation fuel!

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 7:07 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
As you arrive at Alicante, the smell of diesel and rubber trying to compete with a warm vegetation smell.  Collecting your cases, the smell of the loos (not all entirely bad because the disinfectant blocks seem to mingle with the other ones) and the stink of onions from the Burger King outlet.
Driving past Elche, the window is well and truly up due to the overpowering diesel and oil smell from the trucks which, quite frankly, should have been retired some years ago.  If these trucks need an ITV, someone knows the brother of the tester.  (Stay with me folks, it gets better).
Come off and the AP7 and the smell changes.  In the summer, a dry powdery smell mixed with the vegetation from the fields.  In the spring, a lovely whiff of orange and lemon blossom mingled with an unidentifiable greenery type smell.
The increased smell of salt indicates you are approaching Torrevieja.  The sight of the, sometimes pink, sometimes purple, sometimes brown, salt lakes confirm you are nearly there.  Then the salt lake smell is overtaken by the briny smell of the sea.  The ozone is quite overpowering but very nice.  Heading up into the hills, the salty smell disappears and is overtaken by one of two things.  Either the farmer is muck-spreading in the vicinity of Lomas de Golf or the cafe owners seriously need to check their plumbing.
Pulling up outside my flat, the new fish and chip shop next to the Chinese Buffet compete with their smells to pervade the atmosphere. 
Time to take a quick ride into the country.  Ah!  Now the warm, dry air has a sweet mix from the olives, the pomegranates, the oranges, the lemons and so on.  Definitely a different smell to any you will get in UK.  Back to the flat, evening is drawing in.  Is it me, or do all the bushes and plants give off their nicest fragrances as the sun goes down?  The bougainvilleas, jasmine and especially the honeysuckle all combine to wipe out the chippy and chinky smells.  Thanks to all my neighbours for keeping these plants so well tended.
Sitting on the balcony in the evening, move the red wine away and the flower smells are still there along with an almost tropical aroma from the palm trees.  Of course, overriding all the smells comes the noise of the cicadas,  the crickets and other assorted insects (fortunately, not the buzz of the mosquito or the dreaded no-see-ums as they don't seem to be a problem in my area).
The next day, time to visit the market.  The herbs, the vegetables, the many and varied fruits (especially the dark grapes) compete with the Pollo Asado van.   The glorious aromas coming from the man selling the cured hams and sausages next to the man selling the churros and sugared sweets.  Down to the sea front, past the sweet smells from the bodegas selling their wine by the litre, to where the fresh fish cooking over the hot coals give way to the aroma of paella boiling in the pot.  All mixed with the particular smells of the sea breezes zephyring (good word, that.  Just made it up) through the tall palms along the promenade.
Ah, yes.  Heady smells and aromas, some nice, some not so nice.  But certainly different.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 7:44 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Since Maria mentioned the feria, what about the pulpo asado (barbecued octopus) that they do there.  I just find it irresitable!  They always cook it on what looks like an old dirty barbecue but it tastes so good with a bit of lemon.

(Why are all the smells I mention to do with food!?)

Justin

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 8:01 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Justin, oh yes, barbecued octopus are to be eaten without looking to where they come out from... very chracteristic smell for sure!

Some other to smell about:

Olive oil smell

Breakfast  smell ( toasted bread with butter and strong coffee)

Roast chestnuts in autumn

"sugus" candies

Cherry smell of those FIESTA HEART-SHAPED LOLLIPOPs of childhood

Tinto de verano smell ( red wine with soda)

Heno de Pravia products ( http://www.gal.es/productos/higiene/henodepravia/henopravia.htm ) Since 1898. Top spanish.

I wil ask my friends and relatives for more smells... it is becoming so interesting and I am sure everyone will want to contribute.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 4/20/2008.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
21 Apr 2008 9:46 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
I did a quick poll in the Law Fim today and here we have got their propositions:

- Garlic ( It seems Victoria Beckham does not like it
- Churros ( fritter, cruller)
- Sea
- Stable
- Rustic loaf
- La Toja soap. http://www.latoja.com/

-chorizo an black pudding

- wax of candels in churches.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

An apartment? No thanks, I'll take the whole village - 7 posts
Grupo Urbasa - 8 posts
Listed building - any advice will be gratefully received. - 3 posts
Urbs. in Murcia province. - 3 posts
UK Company - 0 posts
Introduction from Granada Area - 0 posts
Flute lessons on the costa del sol - 2 posts
Hello and can you help? - 4 posts
Cheque book by post - 4 posts
Personal freshness !! - 14 posts
Hippodromo Aifos - 3 posts
MORTGAGE CURVEBALLS - 4 posts
We are NEW to posting - 18 posts
Best place to start when learning Spanish.....? - 11 posts
Where in Spain? - 8 posts
Introduction - 6 posts
Tax relief - 4 posts
Marilyn from Essex - 5 posts
Mortgage and Bank problems Help!! - 2 posts
IKEA'S ONE DAY 21% OFF SALE (RUMOURED) FOR SAT 19TH APRIL (21ST ANNIVERSARY) - 2 posts
jet 2....99p - 32 posts
Ollis Treff - 1 posts
Internet / broadband etc. - 4 posts
Three Spanish property developers face debt pressure - 0 posts
Registration deadline for primary/infant spanish school - HELP !! - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x