Washing Machines and Tumble Dryers

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by PeterH Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi

I'm new to EOS but have followed with interest the various articles and forums. We've got a property on the Costa Del Sol which we've owner for just over two years. We try and get over as often as we can but it never seems enough.

Anyway I've got a question regarding electrical appliances: I've got a washing machine and tumble dryer here in the UK which are virtually new but won't fit into our kitchen when we have it done up later in the year. Our washing machine in Spain is knackered and I was wondering if it's possible to use a washing machine/tumble dryer, built for the UK market, in Spain?

Any help much appreciated

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 12:07 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

There's no problem Peter, sure you'll be pleased to hear.

In fact near us in Spain a firm has just set up & sells Hoover UK models, complete with their English instruction booklets & English rather than Spanish on front of machine & with the Spanish two year guarantee too. These Hoover models have been damaged on panels which makes them ideal for a utility as they're heaps cheaper & a 1600 rpm model that takes 8kg load costs likely half what it would in the UK.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 4/14/2008.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 12:41 PM by PeterH Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks, Morerosado, that's good news.

Now I've got a good excuse to start planning a drive down through France and Spain. Not done it yet but always fancied it.

Peter

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 1:50 PM by lytton Star rating in Bath & North East So.... 422 posts Send private message

Pleading ignorance to this, isn't there a problem with both the voltage and the connections, etc......If UK appliances can be used, can smaller things such as kettles, toasters and microwaves be used? 

Phil

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 1:54 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We bought all of our small electrical appliances in the UK and took them to Spain with us (toaster, kettle, DVD player, Sky box, etc). European voltage has (supposedly) been standardised to 230V, this takes into account the 220v of European mainland and 240v of the UK. If you look at the label on your appliance, you should see the voltage range it has been manufactured to service. Simply cut off the 3 pin plug and replace with a 2 pin. Spme of the more expensive plugs have room for the earth wire, but usually it is just the live and the neutral.

Mark

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 2:07 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Use adaptors to use UK bought kettles, toasters, microwaves as somewhere on here an electrician did say that if you change the 3 pin plugs to the 2 pin plugs you haven't a fuse so you could damage the unit . We have just changed our UK lamps to 2 pin plugs but use adaptors for anything else with a 3 pin plug on.

Check out the search facility as this has been discussed many times. As you will realise the threads tend to get rather mixed up.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 3:07 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

More, could you let me know where that washing machine shop is? I hate my spanish washing machine  and would love to have instructions in english! Although saying that I could probable work any english machine but the spanish one sometimes defeats me and can take several hours to complete a load!!!!

Peter, we took out a small tumble dryer in Feb. and it works just fine. Although in the winter months it's probable best not to have too many electrical appliances on at once(you don't need them in summer).

We spent 7 weeks there in Feb/Mar and the dryer was used to dry the towels a few times but actually I didn't use it at much as I thought I would! Don't tell my OH that as we carted it all the way on the ferry and then through Spain! The weather was surprisingly dry and windy so washing dried easily. We had only 2 full days of rain and a couple of half days in 7 weeks.

We are going back for 3 weeks in June but I'm sure that we won't need it then!

Gloria

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 3:20 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hello Gloria. It's called Discount Electricals & is in Quesada. You drive under the Quesada arches & turn left directly in front of the petrol station. Drive almost to the end of the shops & it's two past Yorkshire Linens. They advertise in the free papers what their new bargains are. Every fortnight they bring electricals from the UK, not just washing machines & they also sell undamaged goods. Depends on what they can get hold of. When we looked we could've bought an 8kg load Hoover model with a 1600 rpm spin speed (with a small dent in side panel) for 405€ (great spin speed for winter there too). Would've cost 10€ extra to get van driver to deliver to us at El Raso nearby, they quoted 15€ to Torrevieja & it included taking away old washer as not allowed to dump old washers.

INFO ON SHOP HERE 

Discount Electrical Appliances
Calle Los Arcos , 03170  Ciudad Quesada (Alicante)
Tel: 966 719 930 Fax: 966 719 930

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 3:41 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Thanks More, I know the shop you mean. It's not too far from us in Formentera. Just need to persuade hubby that I NEED a new washing machine! Mine was new with the apartment last June but it hates me as much as I hate it. Also the spin speed is useless,at least for winter.

Gloria

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 3:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Talking of washing machines (along with other electricals) for those in Spain currently we saw Carrefour's leaflet with offers last week. (Personally I'd not buy larger electricals from the Torrevieja store because of well documented bad custoner service, others disagree but we won't go there again, please).

We bought a Zanussi washer from Master Cadenas just over two years ago on offer & Carrefour are currently selling same model ( which actually we've had big trouble with  but maybe a one off) for same price as we paid &, for 1€ more, you get a tumble drier, not a Zanussi I hesitate to add.

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 4:21 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Wow that sounds like a good offer. I have had Zanussi in the past and have been very happy with it. My current washer (in UK) is Hoover. I do think that most items that you buy these days are not made to last! Everything we have bought recently we have either had to have the repair man in or have sent it back. It's a real pain in the butt.

Gloria

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 9:19 PM by Jontee Star rating in Jardine 11. 103 posts Send private message

As we are on the subject of washing machines, the property on which we are about to buy in spain has an outside connection for the washing machine. Are the specifications for spanish machine different from uk as it will be left outside to the elements of weather conditions etc. Just wondered as you wouldn't dream of doing that in UK as you would end up with a pile of rust plus dangers of electricity. 

John

John & Val

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 9:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi John, yes, seems very odd doesn't it ? Our boiler was in a room attached to our kitchen but this utility area had no roof just the walls. We didn't buy our washer till we had a roof put on the area. Washer connections were in there. Electric socket for washer & boiler were those with flip covers over though.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2008 8:29 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Just a thought about the difference between UK and Spanish washing machines, aren't Spanish cold fill only?  What happens with the other hose connection.

My own washing machine here in UK started leaking yesterday so a replacement is being delivered tomorrow.  I'll ask the fitters if you can connect them as cold fill only.

If you are taking over a few small kitchen applicances also take a multi adaptor, that way you can plug several items in together and only need to use one english to spanish adaptor.

I call them strip adaptors as they 4 or 5 sockets in one long line or strip.  You could also get one with a surge protector fitted for safety.

Finally in todo stores they sell covers for washing machines that are stored outside.  Whether they protect the machines from going rusty I couldn't say but at least you won't see it 

The very first house I viewed in Spain had the "utility area" on the first floor patio area.  The only way to describe it would be an outside toilet with no door.  I think the original owners were spanish as there were concrete patio furniture here as well.  The current owners were German and their washing machine was in the kitchen.  Can you imagine buying a new machine and asking them to carry it up the stairs but then I suppose it's the same as delivering to a flat without a lift.

I was advised not to spend a lot on a washing machine as they don't last too long due to the hard water deposits.  Although if you want a higher spin which is needed in the Winter months then you will pay a lot more.

Like 0      
16 Apr 2008 10:46 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Regarding Spanish washing machines, yes, they are cold fill only but that is not a problem. Just buy one of these from Screwfix HERE 89p & screw your hot & cold washer connections from your UK washer onto the two with screw fittings & the other one goes onto your water inlet in Spain. Sorted !! We have a Siemen's washer/drier here in the UK & the engineer who fitted it said he'd fit one to ours as it was hot/cold fill. He said it was far cheaper to use with a small amount of water being heated in the machine rather than needing to have hot water available.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Halifax Mortgage requirements - 3 posts
Spanish income tax rates and allowances - 4 posts
20% CGT refund on properties sold between 2004-2008 - 3 posts
FIRST OCCUPATION LICENSE'S - 3 posts
las ninfas, los montesinos - 12 posts
state primary schools in the mazarron area - 1 posts
Newcomer in '08 - 5 posts
Multicurrency Mortgages - 5 posts
Changing Address for car ownership - 4 posts
Rojales (CB) - 11 posts
Sales Rep's required to sell the New SPF SPRAY BOOTH and LIGHT THERAPY CHAIRS - 0 posts
Wanted Office Furniture - 0 posts
Rent or Buy when moving to Spain - 8 posts
contact - 2 posts
Fitting electrial appliances and lights. - 27 posts
Death Duties - 0 posts
car boot sale - 0 posts
Driving Time - 3 posts
Rental needed with ADSL Internet - 9 posts
Most common problems when buying in Spain? - 4 posts
I need some websites! - 3 posts
Gas Bareque Licence??????????? - 1 posts
Wonderful Alcaidesa - 3 posts
Gran Mirador Rio Park Muchamiel 13 MISSING PEOPLE WANTED READ MR ANDY. - 0 posts
Mr Andy - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 15

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x