Halifax Mortgage requirements

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by dibby Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Sorry, I wasn't sure of the best place for this post.

I have recently completed on a purchase of a property in Spain and used Halifax to gain a mortgage.  Ironically my girlfriend and I were discussing last week our lack of life assurance for the Spainsh Mortgage and lo and behold the following day I get a phone call from Halifax stating that they had been audited and realised that they had not ensured we had this.  They have said that like the property insurance we need to get it through them, which we don't have a problem with but they are also stating that we have to have a Halifax credit card!  Since my Girlfriend and I do not live in Spain we have no need for a Spanish Credit Card that we will not use, particularly one that attracts an annual charge.

Can anyone confirm if this is a requirement/usual practice, if it is then I missed it during the application process.

Many Thanks

David

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 12:41 PM by walker Star rating. 42 posts Send private message

Hi David,

I took out a "Halifax" mortgage three years ago at their Benalmadena office. They did say at the time I could have a credit card, but they were not insistant

on me having one. They also did the Home contents insurance and again no life policy was requested or insisted upon. My own Bank, Solbank only issue

credit cards if you ask for one, which I did, and they are useful for the times you visit. So unless things have changed in three years, don't be bullied into something

you don't want or need.

Best wises for the future,

Paul Smith

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 1:08 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Dibby - Im not sure they can force you to have the policy through them at all - Smiley the resident broker could answer that one - as this may be a new policy they are enacting to try and raise funds!

I doubt you have to have the credit cards either and you should refuse them and ensure they dont charge you for them!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 2:56 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
You are not obliged to have their life cover and best advice would dictate that if you do have life cover then you arrange it in the UK where it is cheaper, more comprehensive and not subject to Spanish IHT. It is not obligatory to have a Halifax credit card it is optional.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish income tax rates and allowances - 4 posts
20% CGT refund on properties sold between 2004-2008 - 3 posts
FIRST OCCUPATION LICENSE'S - 3 posts
las ninfas, los montesinos - 12 posts
state primary schools in the mazarron area - 1 posts
Newcomer in '08 - 5 posts
Multicurrency Mortgages - 5 posts
Changing Address for car ownership - 4 posts
Rojales (CB) - 11 posts
Sales Rep's required to sell the New SPF SPRAY BOOTH and LIGHT THERAPY CHAIRS - 0 posts
Wanted Office Furniture - 0 posts
Rent or Buy when moving to Spain - 8 posts
contact - 2 posts
Fitting electrial appliances and lights. - 27 posts
Death Duties - 0 posts
car boot sale - 0 posts
Driving Time - 3 posts
Rental needed with ADSL Internet - 9 posts
Most common problems when buying in Spain? - 4 posts
I need some websites! - 3 posts
Gas Bareque Licence??????????? - 1 posts
Wonderful Alcaidesa - 3 posts
Gran Mirador Rio Park Muchamiel 13 MISSING PEOPLE WANTED READ MR ANDY. - 0 posts
Mr Andy - 1 posts
Disappearing developers - what is the right course of action - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x