Rent or Buy when moving to Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by mico Star rating in UK. 9 posts Send private message

Hi All

I'm looking to relocate to Spain in around 3 years time and am very much in the research period.

One burning question I have for those of you already living in Spain is:

Is it best to rent in a few areas before buying?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Mico

This message was last edited by mico on 4/13/2008.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2008 1:59 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
Hi Mico- the general feeling seems to be to rent for a while and shop around to find an area you feel cormfortable with and then look for a property.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
13 Apr 2008 9:28 PM by bobandgretta Star rating in We live in Newark,No.... 15 posts Send private message

bobandgretta´s avatar

Hi Mico, we are also looking for a property in Spain and having made several search visits we think you are best trying before you buy, we were almost tempted twice but luckily did'nt commit ourselves. And afterwards discovered that we had done the right thing for us regarding locality and lifestyle. So we recommend having a good look around the neighbourhood for the things that you need in your life whether it be peace & quiet, or lively nightlife, medical services or supermarkets it all there! you just need the right location for you, Good Luck

p.s we are still looking, going again in May

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 7:59 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Mico, I would definitely recommend renting first, even up to a year.  Every area is so different so unless you know exactly where you want to be then I would always advise renting first.  Some of the things we discovered when renting were:

1. Lack of phone lines
2. Lack of nearby facilities
3. Noisy complex, more for holidaymakers partying
4. Quiet urbanisation, no one around....
5. Awkward access, eg, too many steps

etc

We lived in several different areas and urbanisations when we moved over and really got a feel for what we liked and didn't like.  Everywhere is so different and as urbanisations are run as small communities then these can all vary too.

Hope that helps.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Apr 2008 1:00 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

Would also like to add, don't forget Spain is one heck of a big country. Take some time to explore it before deciding on your area - it's not all Costas.  We've chosen to buy in CDS as it suited our needs but love the areas away from the coast and traditional tourist/ expat areas such as border areas with France (Pyrenees & Picos), Truillo (they hold a cheese festival there!), Segovia and Madrid.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 5:55 PM by mico Star rating in UK. 9 posts Send private message

Man thanks for the replies. I guess I will rent first.

Could anyone PM me with a rental agent they could recommend?

Mico

Like 0      
20 Apr 2008 6:10 PM by bobandgretta Star rating in We live in Newark,No.... 15 posts Send private message

bobandgretta´s avatar

Hi Mico, we are renting next month and we found a property through "holidaylettings.co.uk" which is a good website for fully detailed lets with photos, availability & prices. You are put in direct contact with the owner via email or phone to make your arrangements. There is also "ownersdirect.co.uk" and many more including eyeonspains own members here above.  Hope you find something suitable

Bob

Like 0      
21 Apr 2008 11:53 AM by villa-rentals-spain Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

** EDITED  - Please respect terms of posting **

Like 0      
22 Apr 2008 9:06 AM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar
There is a useful "Rentals " section on this site.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

contact - 2 posts
Fitting electrial appliances and lights. - 27 posts
Death Duties - 0 posts
car boot sale - 0 posts
Driving Time - 3 posts
Rental needed with ADSL Internet - 9 posts
Most common problems when buying in Spain? - 4 posts
I need some websites! - 3 posts
Gas Bareque Licence??????????? - 1 posts
Wonderful Alcaidesa - 3 posts
Gran Mirador Rio Park Muchamiel 13 MISSING PEOPLE WANTED READ MR ANDY. - 0 posts
Mr Andy - 1 posts
Disappearing developers - what is the right course of action - 7 posts
How to find a thread - 3 posts
Spanish property prices up! - 3 posts
PARKING AT TERMINAL 2 ALICANTE? - 2 posts
Splitting a parcela - 1 posts
Villa @ La campaneta County of Orihuela - 2 posts
Buy/Sell/Rent Free Online Advertising - 0 posts
Estepona Primary Schools Please - 0 posts
Estepona Agent Agents Please - 3 posts
Estepona Urbs - Which ones are nice?? - 1 posts
UK property falling as well as Spain's - 11 posts
Buying Tax Free Scam - 18 posts
Marina de Dona Julia, Casares - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x