4sale

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jan 2007 12:00 AM by HPMD Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I have our property up for sale on EOS website.  Have just been asked what charges , fees etc will be charged.  We own the property so we have paid the original 10% on purchase.  Can anyone give me rough idea how much legal fees for the conveyance would cost and if there are any other fees or charges that I am not aware of. I have looked through the blogs for an answer but dont seem to get a fit - please dont ask me to contact a lawyer - I dont trust them any more - sorry if I am offending anyone.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2007 6:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
You don't need a lawyer if you are selling (IMO - some others here may disagree) - you just need to turn up at the notary and make sure you get all the money when you sign the property over. You should not incur any legal fees yourself, but you will be liable to pay the "plus valia" tax, which is a tax on the increase in the value of the land from when you bought the property, and of course you may be liable for capital gains tax. As for your buyer, their costs are their business, and if they are not aware of what they need to pay, tell them to get a lawyer, but at their expense. However, if you want to give them a rough idea of what to expect: transfer tax 7% of declared sale price, plus 1% legal costs.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
26 Jan 2007 7:50 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Roberto sorry to disagree with you but it will cost them more than 8%.If they are buying on a mortgage it will be at least 12% of pp. Without mortgage probably be in the region of 10% once they have added on Land Registry and Notary costs and if they use a lawyer and I most certainly would not buy without one. Regarding the sell side HPMD, Roberto is quite correct you do not need a lawyer. However the CGT issue is a delicate one - the state will automatically retain 3% of the sale price as they assume you will not discharge your CGT liability if there is one. It is then up to you to submit a claim on the tax office to get that back if there was no CGT to pay. You have a limited time to do that (I think its 28 days but needs to be checked). If you are in a position to file the claim yourself all well and good - or indeed if your CGT liability amounts to more than the 3% retention you might choose to leave it be. If you never intend to return to Spain then there will be no problem if the real CGT amounts to more than the 3% but in theory they can detain you at point of entry into Spain if the tax office make a record and you get a barcode check at passport control and demand payment of the unpaid bill.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
26 Jan 2007 9:11 PM by nannyjersey Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Just to say that if you have your residencia and have been to the tax office to get the form which states that you are up to date with your taxes there will be no 3% retention at the Notary because any capital gain will be declared as income for the next tax year. If you leave Spain for good the Spanish authorities have no jurisdiction to chase unpaid tax outside Spain. I think this is correct.

Like 0      
27 Jan 2007 12:44 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Hi Nanny Jersey you are correct they have no jurisdiction outside their borders but border controls are notified of unpaid bills hence why more immigration controls are doing barcode sweeps at passport control. It seems that at Malaga this sometimes happens and sometimes not - I always get swiped and used to think this was because I look such a dodgy character - but the more technology Big Brother has the more they seem intent to stop anyone getting away with it and I have been advised that this is something that will be implemented. Your point about the tax applies to those with residencia - if they are non resident it will automatically be retained. 

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
27 Jan 2007 4:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I'm quite sure Smiley gets "swiped" at the airport because of his "dodgy" appearance (& I've never even met the guy - it's all just a rumour!).

Smiley is quite right, HPMD, I hadn't factored in mortgage costs, and the buyer will also pay land registry and notary fees. My point was only to tell you that these costs are all the buyer's responsibilty, but if you want to give them an idea of what to expect, then as Smiley says, allow 10% of the purchase cost, as you indeed say you paid when you bought.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Feb 2007 12:06 PM by HPMD Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thank you all for your time and advice - it is much appreciated.  thanks again

Like 0      
06 Feb 2007 9:32 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

HI HPMD.  I've replied to your pm, but I'm just checking to make sure you get it as some other pm's I've sent seem to have disappeaerd into the ether!   Let me know if you don't recieve it and I'll re-send.

Best wishes, Jane

Jane

Like 0      
13 Feb 2007 1:11 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Hi HPMD

received your message. not sure why mine don't get through.  if another pm will get through as the last one didn't.  If you want to send your email address I'll reply straight away.

Best wishes

Jane

Jane

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Buying in a polaris resort - 10 posts
Car Hire - 7 posts
Where to live on the Costa Blanca - 3 posts
Property to rent in Estepona - 17 posts
Building permit - 24 posts
Los Granados del Mar - 1 posts
TONIGHT .. C4 A PLACE IN THE SUN, HOME OR AWAY ..LONDON / MARBELLA - 3 posts
Kristina Szekely involved in the Malaya case? - 12 posts
I.V.F. and completion - 5 posts
air conditioning - 3 posts
Healthcare in the UK - 37 posts
Individual Room Sizes - 13 posts
Spanish wills link - 0 posts
furniture for new home - 0 posts
Superbowl - 1 posts
importing furniture from USA - 1 posts
entregolf - 18 posts
Changing Law Firm After Inital 3000e deposit is paid - Difficult? - 2 posts
Solicitors Costs - 5 posts
Hire cars in Spain - saving money - 1 posts
Want to move to Spain - 9 posts
SAY "NO" to 0870 - 1 posts
Is CGT in addition to normal income Tax? - 1 posts
Healthcare Costa del Sol - 9 posts
Bias voting with proxy votes - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x