Water Deposit?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

When an estate agents brochure states a property has a water deposit, what exactly does this mean?

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 10:18 PM by nesbeth Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

It certainly is not a swimming pool, sometimes the agent's like to tell you that.

It is a very large container for water.

Wendy

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 10:35 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Thanks Wendy,

I had guessed it wasn't a swimming pool as the properties already had them and  they  were mentioned in the brochures.

How large is the 'container'?   I have seen them mentioned in brochures for both apartment blocks and  individual properties so I suppose they will vary in size. Also, from your reply, I now presume they are man made and not a natural feature of the land on which the property is built.

Also, what is their purpose, e.g.. as a reserve in case of drought/water restrictions or a device for enabling a decent level of water pressure, or another use entirely?

This message was last edited by sandra on 3/19/2008.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2008 12:54 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Sorry to bring this to the top again, but can anyone give me a comprehensive answer to my query?

I have 'Googled' for an answer but so far none of them  really answer my question.

Hoping for success on here possibly an estate agent would know.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2008 1:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Could it possibly be that you have your own supply of well water? Our urbanisation has an underwater deposit of water, mainly for topping up the swimming pools and the like. Could be a similar sort of thing?

Mark

Like 0      
23 Mar 2008 2:27 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

We have a water deposit as we live in the campo and are NOT on mains water. I would suspect that there is a strong possibilty that any house advertised with a deposit is not on mains either. It is possible that water was connected at a later date however. We had our deposit built/dug  for us when the house was built.and  it has a capacity of 10,000 litres which keeps us supplied with water for between one and two months depending on time of year - we use more in the summer for the garden and pool. When we run low we simply ring the local supplier and they deliver by tanker. It is more expensive than mains water, we pay 65 euros for 10,000 litres. Hope this is of help.

Jean

Like 0      
24 Mar 2008 1:19 PM by charkir Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I have a water deposit on my land of 4000 ltr3. i have mains water but in the campo it is very likely that you will lose mains water for several days a week in the summer, the water deposit still gives you a constant supply when this happens, unless it runs out of course!

A lot of people mention their water deposit as it is a good selling point, as to install one in a completed house is quite tricky.

Best thing is to get in writing that there is a legal mains supply to the property. If it hasnt got mains, then forget it, I had no mains water for two yrs and with two young kids it wasnt fun.

Hope this helps you out

Like 0      
24 Mar 2008 10:07 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar
If it turns out that the deposit is there because there is no mains water it needs to hold a minimum of 20,000 litres for worry-free living.  Most tankers deliver 10,000 litres and in summer they are very busy and may not come for two or three days - having a big deposit gives you a comfortable buffer.  We have 22,000 litres and never have a problem but our neighbours with 15,000 live on the edge in the height of the season.   It is more expensive than mains water but mains water prices are rising steeply and they have levels of consumption, with prices per cu metre rising as you go up, which means that if you are using it for a pool and for garden watering you pay a lot for it anyway.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
25 Mar 2008 7:55 AM by charkir Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

i do think if this house was on mains, it would say so, mentioning the mains and water deposit for a backup.  But best advice, to check, check and triple check everything before yoou commit, as most agents, not all, will not give you the full picture unless  you ask.

But at least now you hopefully have had the spanish definition of water deposit explained, and armed with this nugget of info, I wish you good luck.

Charkir  (with a horrible plastic water deposit!!!)

Like 0      
25 Mar 2008 4:10 PM by ayrez Star rating in La Marina Oasis. 379 posts Send private message

Chakir is quite right about you needing to check about everything. If there is mains water they will have a meter and presumably bills to prove it. There is nothing stopping you asking to see proof if you are in any doubt.  We manage fine with a deposit but wish we had mains as it is still cheaper than a tanker. The problem we have is finding a plumber who can do the necessary paperwork. Still prefer to live here even with a water deposit!

Like 0      
25 Mar 2008 5:20 PM by sandra Star rating in . 812 posts Send private message

sandra´s avatar

Thank you very much ayrez, charkir, jane b and Marksfish for your replies. I am overwhelmed by the number and the detailed information you have provided. I could not have got a better answer to my queries anywhere.

I now know exactly what questions to ask.

Thank you so very much to you all.  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

baby car seats - 2 posts
my boyfriend and i want a new life - 5 posts
do spanish class ex pats as equals - 6 posts
Editing posts............. - 15 posts
Wanted Villa to Rent - 2 posts
Liquid restrictions - hand luggage - 25 posts
Kim & Tim - 3 posts
short term let - 1 posts
ready to complete but exchange rate so bad!! - 28 posts
Dona Julia El Patio Completion Date - 0 posts
Mr Micky - 2 posts
If you need an independent Spanish Lawyer go to Maria de Castro and her excellent team - 21 posts
Passing the buck on Consumer Rights? - 6 posts
Student111?????????? - 9 posts
European Health & Safety Regulations for Swimming Pools - 4 posts
Spanish Translator needed - can anyone help ??? - 1 posts
Secondary Water - 10 posts
Natasha - 1 posts
CAR RENTAL - 1 posts
Buying Tax Free - 1 posts
HELP..... Spanish Translator Needed - 7 posts
Site Visit to Manilva Beach 26th May 2007 - 1 posts
Newcomer ! - 5 posts
Easter Opening Hours in Spain - 12 posts
LoFO - Application For vs Granted - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x