do spanish class ex pats as equals

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by susanswl75 Star rating in newcastle uk. 10 posts Send private message

i am in the process of researching loads of books, web sites, tv programs and talking to people about moving to spain. one minute i would feel really positive about it and then i will hear something negative and it knocks me back to square one. one of the things i have heard is that the spanish don't treat the english very well especially if they don't speak good spanish. how have other people found this. i look forward to your replies.

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 5:55 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

I can't say that has been my experience over the 5 years I have lived here.

I have only limited Spanish but have had no problems ( only my own insecurities ! ) and have often found the Spanish people have been more than helpful in adding the odd word for me and telling me how to say it in Spanish.

I have NEVER been made to feel 2nd class by the Spanish and my spell in a Spanish speaking hospital showed me the caring, thoughtfu,l friendly way of the Spanish in a time of real trauma for me.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 6:37 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I think that the Spanish appreciate how difficult it is to learn languages so they are very encouraging to British people making effort to learn Spanish.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 Mar 2008 7:21 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
In general.... we LOVE having people enjoying, appreciating and respecting our culture and our country and we generally welcome expat who has a respectful behaviour.

We are a hospitable culture... for sure.

Best Semana Santa!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 11:10 AM by jmirza101 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Reply to Maria

In my experience it depends what colour the expat is!!!

As a brown brit, you wouldn't believe the problems I have faced. Here are just a few.

1. Police harassment
2. Old ladies clutching their handbags closely when I happen to walk by.
3, Being stared at! (or does that happen to everyone in this country).

On one occasion I walked into a coffee bar and a guy had wondered away from his chair on the back of which he had hung his jacket, as soon as he saw me he moved sharpishly to stand guard beside his jacket! Probaly the sharpest he's moved in his life!

Shall I go on?

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 11:51 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
No the new generations.... they do like colors, yes!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
11 Jun 2008 7:58 PM by far Star rating in Dundrum, Co. Down. 169 posts Send private message

Hello everyone,

Apart from the harrowing experience of buying or trying to buy a property off plan, waiting 4 years and its still not built. When in spain i have found most spanish people to be extremely polite, very helpful and with a great sense of humour, they in no way make you feel uncomfortable when trying out your spanish speaking skills and they are very family orientated and i have been told that mothers with children are much better treated in the workplace than in the uk.

Having observed the behaviour of some ex pats i dont know how the spanish put up with them!

I think the british could learn a lot from them for the better but the government needs to get its act together to stop the mistreatment of people from other countries who are in the process or have bought property in spain.
You reap what you so and this mistreatment is already coming back to haunt them, spains reputation is so bad in this regard that no-one wants to buy there anymore!

FAR

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Editing posts............. - 15 posts
Wanted Villa to Rent - 2 posts
Liquid restrictions - hand luggage - 25 posts
Kim & Tim - 3 posts
short term let - 1 posts
ready to complete but exchange rate so bad!! - 28 posts
Dona Julia El Patio Completion Date - 0 posts
Mr Micky - 2 posts
If you need an independent Spanish Lawyer go to Maria de Castro and her excellent team - 21 posts
Passing the buck on Consumer Rights? - 6 posts
Student111?????????? - 9 posts
European Health & Safety Regulations for Swimming Pools - 4 posts
Spanish Translator needed - can anyone help ??? - 1 posts
Secondary Water - 10 posts
Natasha - 1 posts
CAR RENTAL - 1 posts
Buying Tax Free - 1 posts
HELP..... Spanish Translator Needed - 7 posts
Site Visit to Manilva Beach 26th May 2007 - 1 posts
Newcomer ! - 5 posts
Easter Opening Hours in Spain - 12 posts
LoFO - Application For vs Granted - 4 posts
Complaints - 2 posts
Breach of contract? - 45 posts
How can they do this....... - 31 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x