Non-residents buying a car in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Does anyone have any idea what's needed for a non-resident to buy a second hand car in Spain?  I've heard so many different stories that i'm very confused. 

Can you buy as a non-resident with an NIE, Spanish property, but without a padron?

Where does the car have to be registered?  How much does that cost?  Cost of Spanish ITV etc.

Is it possible to get comprehensive insurance for family use?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, just need lots of help.......please!

Jane

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 9:21 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

BUYING A CAR IN SPAIN  You need to be on the Padron to establish you have property in Spain ******** YES.

Taken from above blue link.

In order to buy any vehicle, you must have a NIE/NIF Number.

If you buy a vehicle from a reputable car dealership, they usually handle all the paperwork on your behalf to complete the ownership transfer. However, they will look to you for payment of Trafico’s transfer tax and fee.

If you purchase a vehicle privately, you should produce the following first at the Hacienda then the Trafico office:

Ficha Tecnica and Permiso de Circulación (signed on the back by the Seller)
Current ITV (stamped on the back of the Ficha Tecnica)
Original Road Tax Certificate (Impuestos Vehiculos) + 1 photocopy
Copy NIE & Passport/Residencia of the Seller + 2 photocopies
Original NIE/Residencia of the Purchaser + 2 photocopies
If the Purchaser is non-resident, original Passport (or copy certified by the Ayuntamiento), plus a Certificado de Empadronamiento from the Ayuntamiento to confirm the address, plus a signed declaration that the Purchaser has a valid licence + 1 photocopy of both
The relevant Trafico transfer forms, duly completed and signed by both parties

The transfer will take a minimum of fifteen days. Trafico charges are approximately 40 Euros plus a tax amount that is 4% of the book value of the vehicle.

Sources: BlevinsFranks, HR Consultants

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 1:15 PM by alarice Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

In answer to your question about insuring your new car in Spain when you have it, the answer is yes, and you have a number of options. I assume you are buying a Spanish registered car, as some people decide to bring their British registered car to Spain. I will do my very best not to sound like an advert here (I am the MD of a UK Insurance Brokerage with Branches in Spain), but there are Brokers you can talk to who can provide you with suitable comprehensive insurance for your car, to cover you and your family. My advice is to get a policy that is written in English so you FULLY understand your cover. An independent Broker is best as they can give you access to more than just one policy, so find the best one for your needs, and the best price of course.  Alternately you can call local insurance companies but the language barrier can be a challenge and if the policy wording is in Spanish there is room for misunderstandings as I am sure you can appreciate.  However this is an option available to you. If you do use a Broker, I suggest you try and find one that speaks English and perhaps that is focussed on expats, as this will help you a great deal. Insuring your car is simple and straight forward, so nothing to worry about here.
Some things to consider when insuring a car in Spain:-
·         Are you covered whilst driving the car outside Spain (if you drive to Portugal or the UK for instance) and for what period this covers (perhaps 90 days in any one year, or a limited period outside Spain but no actual limit on the total time spent outside Spain for example)
·         What you will get paid if you have a total loss (their policy on valuing the car)
·         If the policy includes breakdown cover
·         Is the breakdown cover just applicable to Spain or also throughout Europe
·          A hire car option may also be worth considering but note this may well be an “option” rather than “standard” so do check this with them. It is advisable as if your car is off the road you have access to a hire car paid for by the insurance company
·         Is the hire car option only available in the event of  an accident, or also for “mechanical breakdown”
·         Are there any restrictions on driving and what are they, such as an “open policy” so anyone can drive, and is there an age limit on this, so for example “any driver over the age of 30” or just for the insured named on the policy
I hope this helps
Regards
Alaric Errington

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 1:25 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

**********  We've heard good reports on this company (HERE IS LINK )

We insure our home & contents in Spain with them.

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 1:30 PM by alarice Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Sorry morerosado, that is not my company (we are a UK company) !!

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 5:33 PM by ******** Star rating in UK & Murcia. 574 posts Send private message

Many thanks guys - great information.

Jane

Like 0      
05 Mar 2008 11:06 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar
Does that mean we are having a boat and a car Jane?? Wayhey!!

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 12:03 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

alarice I don't understand why you posted "Sorry morerosado, that is not my company (we are a UK company) !! "

I was referring to the company we use.  I assume you thought I was posting about yours, which I know nothing about.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 5:44 AM by alarice Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi Morosado. sorry about that. Yes, you are quite right, I had the wrong end of the stick i think !!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Plumbing - 2 posts
driving to spain - 4 posts
easter - where to go - 3 posts
Cycling in Spain - 3 posts
Spanish Bars & Spanish restaurants in Orhiuela Costa - 6 posts
Dangerous dogs - 14 posts
medina elvira granada - 2 posts
What is E111 - 3 posts
Destitute and facing eviction - 85 year old mother and son from San Isidro on CB - 0 posts
Demolitions near La Marina Village on the Costa Blanca NOW ! - 0 posts
Getting my cat to Spain - 13 posts
Another bit of daftness from Sunny Spain - 39 posts
Hola Life Snagging Surveys - 1 posts
cleaner - 0 posts
The UK lose battle to withhold benefits............ - 17 posts
Pet Insurance - 5 posts
Pool Covers - 4 posts
Hi - 0 posts
What is the best way to pay a small amount of Euros? - 8 posts
Where are you from!!! - 7 posts
Terque Web Site - 1 posts
Flights From Glasgow to Malaga or Gibraltar - 11 posts
Sun Loungers - 13 posts
Cash and Carry warehouse - 2 posts
Pensions info from Euro Weekly News February 28, 2008 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x