Spanish Bars & Spanish restaurants in Orhiuela Costa

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Mar 2008 12:00 AM by eventide Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have been going to this part of Spain for many years now and very disappointed with the complete lack of Spanish Bars & Reataurants. Surely the idea of visiting different areas & countries is to experience the local culture, customs & language! Does anyone know of anywhere where it is possible to practice a little smattering of Spanish when ordering a drink or a meal and not to be subjected to a constant barrage of mockney and irish accents?

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 5:59 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Over to our very own Karensun.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 7:02 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

^Try La Casera ( I think that's right ) on the front at Torrevieja near the tourist office on the left near the shop that sells that posh crystal jewellery.

will put others in post when I remember names......................by the way the Oasis in Mil Palmeras ( Greek ) has reopened, More, will 'visit' soon !!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 7:26 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Not so sure about Orihuela Costa as I don't tend to go there at night.  However, there are many fine restaurants and bars in Torrevieja which are used by Spanish and some are a delight.  I just wish I could remember the names but I'm useless at that.  There are several fine Tapas bars in Torrevieja which are very reasonably priced.  I have found a couple of really good Spanish bars where speaking Spanish is very much appreciated.  A marvellous Spanish Italian (does that make sense?) away from the seafront and they are all very competitively priced.

One thing I have found, us Northern Europeans do tend to eat far too early for the Spanish.  For us, 8 o'clock is usually the time for our restaurant meal and the places are usually full of us lot at that time.  Come 10 or 11 at night, the same places are heaving with the Spanish.  Because of the working hours, they tend to finish late, stop off for a coffee and small beer or brandy on the way home and then relax for a while before going out for the evening.  This was brought home to me a few years ago when we were staying at hotel in the centre of town.  We'd eaten, been to a very nice (quiet) bar and noticed that many of the bars were closed.  On the way back at about 11:30 pm, the same bars which were closed at 8 were now open and filling up nicely. 

Where I live (Blue Hils) it is mainly expats (Northern European type) and the restaurants and bars are geared towards our timing.  The restaurants have usually done their main business by 10 or 10:30 and the bars wind down around midnight,  Torrevieja, on the other hand, is lively and leaping at that time.  Even the funfair, where I take the grandkids to on a Saturday night, is mainly full of us lot in the evening whilst very young Spanish kids are still going strong at 11 or even midnight when our little uns are safely tucked up in beddy byes. 

We do have several good restaurants in El Galan but they are mainly Brit orientated.  Even the tapas are more like antipasto or hors d'ouevres as they are served as a starter.  There is one excellent Spanish restaurant (cant remember the name) which is very reasonable and the rack of lamb is superb (€34 for two including starter, dessert and wine) plus live dancing on Saturdays in the summer (in the outside garden).  Unfortunately, the demand appears more for the fish n chips and Sunday roasts and this is what is provided in the majority of restaurants.  (Avoid the Priory, microwaved pizzas and processed meat patties).

Buen apetito

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 7:35 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Karen, we wanna go Greek sometime & wanna go with you if you want to, that is. There's a Greek restaurant in the new square in Guardamar with the white painted metal palm trees & one in Quesada too. I just love Greek food, having been brought up in Cyprus. You just can't get a great meze like we used to get in 1958 in Cyprus.

Like 0      
04 Mar 2008 9:21 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

The Oasis is owned by a Greek man, Andreas and has apparently been closed for the holidays ( ? ). The only Greek stuff he does tho, is Taramasalata and lamb Kleftico ( if that's how you spell it!!)...........................interested in the one in your area More.

I agree with bobaol, lots of Spanish eating places in Torrevieja..............just walk away from the front away from the egg and chip Brit places. Up near the salude in Cabo Roig on the right after you leave the 332 to get to the doctors, there is a Spanish eating house ( can't remember the name ) but it is always packed. A good tip in the daytime is to look where the lorries are parked, you'll be sure to get a good cheap meal there!

A lot of the places around here ( Orihuela Costa ) are geared up for the Brits and sell Brit stuff but there are lots of Spanish places, you just have to look.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
12 Mar 2008 9:58 PM by Huntress Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Has anyone tried Rancho Blanco?. It is off the roundabout under the toll road between San Miguel and the Coast. If you drive around the roundabout you can see a small sign leading up a gravel track. well worth a visit, very very large steaks and some good sea food dishes. Ian

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dangerous dogs - 14 posts
medina elvira granada - 2 posts
What is E111 - 3 posts
Destitute and facing eviction - 85 year old mother and son from San Isidro on CB - 0 posts
Demolitions near La Marina Village on the Costa Blanca NOW ! - 0 posts
Getting my cat to Spain - 13 posts
Another bit of daftness from Sunny Spain - 39 posts
Hola Life Snagging Surveys - 1 posts
cleaner - 0 posts
The UK lose battle to withhold benefits............ - 17 posts
Pet Insurance - 5 posts
Pool Covers - 4 posts
Hi - 0 posts
What is the best way to pay a small amount of Euros? - 8 posts
Where are you from!!! - 7 posts
Terque Web Site - 1 posts
Flights From Glasgow to Malaga or Gibraltar - 11 posts
Sun Loungers - 13 posts
Cash and Carry warehouse - 2 posts
Pensions info from Euro Weekly News February 28, 2008 - 0 posts
European Union allows sadistic torturing of animals because it's tradition - 2 posts
Signing on the Padron - 1 posts
EARTHQUAKE - 19 posts
Luna Mar Apartments - 8 posts
Vista Hermosa Santa Margarita - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x