Our pets

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I hope many of us feel there must be control over domestic animals breeding, I certainly have feelings on this. There are thousands of kittens, pups etc needing homes in the RSPCA & PDSA alone without people allowing their so called loved animals to have more. As THIS WEBSITE says it's not as if the animals need to breed.

It is a complete myth that a female cat should be allowed to have one litter. There is no biological or psychological benefit to the cat whatsoever. If you allow your female cat to have a litter, and manage to find homes for the kittens, they have then used up homes that kittens sitting in a rescue centre could have had, which may then end up being destroyed.

Have you been to the RSPCA lately, it's so upsetting. So many little faces looking & crying for attention.

Enjoy this video, it says it all as far as I'm concerned. If video embed doesn't work CLICK HERE

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/19/2008.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 11:15 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

19 Feb 2008 11:17 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Too many kitties

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 1:31 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Spay and neuter your animals PLEASE !!!

This video IS graphic, ok ? Be warned.

How anyone can't hold back their tears watching this.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/19/2008.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 3:36 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Good Reasons Why You Should Spay or Neuter

Spaying or neutering increases your pet's chances for a longer, healthier life.
Spaying your pet before her first estrous cycle (that is, before she reaches sexual maturity) greatly reduces her chances of developing breast cancer and completely eliminates the threat of uterine and ovarian cancer and uterine infection, which are common occurrences in unaltered females.

Neutering your male dog or cat prevents testicular tumors and may prevent prostate problems. Neutering also decreases the possibility of perianal tumors and hernias, which are commonly observed in older, unaltered dogs. Because neutered cats are less likely to roam, the threat of abscesses caused by bites and diseases transmitted by fighting are greatly reduced.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 4:12 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Sorry More, dare not even look at this post cos I know I will cry loads......always had my cats neutered in UK and DO agree with your point.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 4:17 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Karen

If you get your kitten from the RSPCA or from a rescue centre you get a voucher covering half the cost of neutering unlike having a kitten from a private home. When we had our cat we got her from the RSPCA & they won't allow new owners to take the kitten without the voucher. Apart from the video I said made me upset the others especially the first are funny, honestly, they just convey the right message so do go watch them.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 4:49 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar
Totally agree with you, mine will be booked in as soon as they are old enough, only don't tell them!

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 5:29 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
I watched them all..........all owners should be made to watch the 'graphic' one AND read the words.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
20 Feb 2008 10:08 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

On a much lighter note please watch THIS

Like 0      
20 Feb 2008 2:41 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I thought this was s-o-o-o-o funny, hope you enjoy watching it. Also UPDATE ON SPARTA

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 9:10 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Totally agree with you about neutering More, and this is especially true of the feral cat population.  Unfortunately the authorities in our part of Spain have been convinced by certain local vets that it would be wrong not to comply with some new law which allegedly prohibits the trapping and neutering of feral cats.  They insist that any animals to be neutered (should you be able to catch them without trapping them, presumably) should be transported to the nearest licenced vetinerary clinic, where, after being neutered, they should be kept for several days to ensure they do not get any post-operative complications.  And who is going to put their hand in the cage to feed and water these ferals - perhaps the Alcalde would like to try it!

What a complete load of horse manure.  It would be funny if it were not so tragic.   Several years ago we were involved in a massive cat neutering programme in Mojacar. We had a volunteer vet and a team of helpers to trap the cats.  We worked in several different locations, anywhere someone would lend us some space for a table to operate and sterilise equipment and somewhere to put the boxes while they were in recovery, the objective being to keep the stress to a minimum by not transporting them by car.   Each animal was anaesthetised and while unconscious was given antibiotics, worming and pain killing shots.   We neutered more than 200 cats and the result was a much healthier feral population, no more sleepless nights for the residents disturbed by screeching cats doing what un-neutered cats inevitably do.  Now it is no longer possible - the person who organised this had all her traps confiscated and the volunteer vet working with her on that occasion was fined €3000.  The cat population is on the increase and the Ayuntamiento says if if there is a problem, let them know and they will send someone to shoot them.

I know who I would like to shoot!

PS All three of our cats and our dog are rescue animals and one of the cats could be Sparta but she is grey!

This message was last edited by jane b on 2/22/2008.

This message was last edited by jane b on 2/22/2008.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 9:24 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Jane, that is so sad. It makes such sense to neuter animals. I made a friend on Friends Reunited Connections who lives in the mountains somewhere down on the CDS. She & her son live alone apart from many animals who have turned up onher doorstep. She took in the odd one who adopted her & people found out so they dump unwanted animals on her. She hasn't turned them away & has quite a menagerie, so I believe. I was telling her my husband donated some of his wages to the RSPCA but I was rather upset as the RSPCA kept on sending literature to us generally begging asking for more funding. I'd asked them not to as it's a waste of their resources, our money. She told me we hadn't a clue as to how much money the RSPCA waste & not too much of the bit we gave went on the animal welfare. She said she supported the group from the UK who went as volunteers (like you explained) with vets & helpers to round up ferals & neuter them, worm, deflea etc. She gave me the details. It's unbelievable that this is being stopped. UNBELIEVABLE  I'll bring my gun, we'll join forces.

Like 0      
23 Feb 2008 11:06 AM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Hi More.

Yes, I think it's probably true about the RSPCA. Someone told me that they only spend the income from their capital - they have so much they don't need to touch it.  I don't know if it is indeed true but that stopped me giving.  Also some of the "cute" tv programmes where they show them spending mega money to save wild animals which in some cases it would really be kinder to put down and use the money to help things like neutering programmes.  I suppose that wouldn't make such good TV and more importantly wouldn't encourage so many donations, or am I just an old cynic?

We have dogs dumped at our gates too and although occasionally we have been able to get the local animal charity, PAWS, to accept them for rehoming (we pay for the shots), sometimes they just can't give us a date to take them because they have no spaces.  In this case if the animal is in a very poor state really the only sensible course is euthanasia, saving the scarce resources for those that can have a good quality of life. Unfortunately we can't have any more dogs because Kippy prefers to be an only dog as he previously lived with other dogs who bullied him - he was even frightened of the cats when we first got him!

This message was last edited by jane b on 2/23/2008.

This message was last edited by jane b on 2/23/2008.

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
26 Feb 2008 4:14 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Just to say I was sad to read about members pets in the bereaved thread. It's certainly not easy, I've been through it twice. Pets are such a part of our life, aren't they ?

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 11:25 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I'm posting this for VickiT who doesn't understand how to. She's sad as she's just had to have her lovely cat, Mycat, put to sleep but this made her smile & we all need smiles, don't we ? 

Vicki it was my pleasure.

How To Tell If Your Feet Stink

Scroll down.

Because I want you to get checked out to make sure you're healthy and will be around longer, I scheduled a

medical test for you.    

MEDICAL  TEST

STARE  INTO THE CAT'S EYES FOR 10 SECONDS...

Then  Scroll Down  

NOW  STARE IN THE PUPPY'S EYES FOR 10 SECONDS ...  

Scroll  Down  

Your CAT SCAN and LAB TESTS 

are now complete.     

-- I just couldn't resist!!

Do you feel like working    today?

Tomorrow?
 The day after?  
 Next week?
  Next month?

Me neither!
 I just want to party!

You, 

.... have a GREAT Day!!!

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly!
Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably.

And never regret anything
that made you smile.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/27/2008.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 11:31 AM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

As ever, thanks More! X

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 11:49 AM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

Vicki, I feel for you, I have been there before with my previous dog.

More, what wonderful images, they certainly made me smile!

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 12:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Vicki, if you have a favourite photo of Mycat I could make you an avatar & explain how you put it on EOS so you see the photo every post you make. Send me any you want me to try with & I'll email them to you to choose.

Like 0      
27 Feb 2008 12:13 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

Hiya. I'd love that! But I only have 'old school' photos, 'cos I lost my camera before I had downloaded all the images in it!  Would scanned images still work?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Replacement shutters - 0 posts
Handing back property to the bank - 4 posts
Am i allowed to recomend trades men on this site? Air Con Company? - 5 posts
New kids on the block - 14 posts
Happy Spanish experiences - 0 posts
Valencian land grab - 0 posts
Col - 1 posts
ArranLeeSmith(lorrainebraid)secret snaps! - 0 posts
Hello Everyone - 1 posts
RANGE ROVER VOGUE 2005 4.4 V8 WHITE MINT CONDITION - 5 posts
PMs - An apology - 2 posts
Corrugated plastic roofing panels - 2 posts
Another bit of fun ( ? ) - 9 posts
Bankrupt constructor in Murcia - 1 posts
Urb.St.Louis. - 9 posts
Spanish Law. - 1 posts
So near yet so far - 4 posts
Newcomer - 9 posts
Headlights on English car - 1 posts
Motor trade contacts - 1 posts
Doggy Dilemma - 10 posts
Bereaved? - 28 posts
Hard Water Area - 0 posts
Cartagena, Costa Blanca photos, please add more. - 0 posts
Orihuela, Costa Blanca photos, please add more. - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x