Where are the deeds?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Can anyone please advise me what happens to the deeds following completion of your purchase?

Our solicitor completed on our behalf under a Power of Attorney & it has just occurred to me that I should perhaps be asking this question.

We have amortgage with a Spanish Bank so would they keep the deeds for the term of the mortgage or do they go to some central land registry type place or should I have them??

Any advice gratefully received.

Noreen

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 1/30/2008.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 9:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hmm, Noreen. In the UK the deeds stay with the mortgage bank but in Spain, who knows ? I'd have thought it was the same as the bank actually owns the property until paid 100% by you, surely ?

Like 0      
30 Jan 2008 9:36 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

I have emailed the solicitor but going on past form it will take 6 emails & probably as many weeks to get a response!

It also occurred to me that he hasn't ever sent me the original copies of our NIEs - I have asked for them.

I have also asked for the original POA back as well.

If anyone knows the answer then at least I will have my facts straight if I need to challenge his answer.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 4:45 PM by yayuer Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

The original  of your deeds are in the office of the Notary. You can ask for a copy that has the same validity that the original.
I suggest that you should request a "Nota simple" at the Spanish Land Registry. You can do this by internet. With this certificate you could know the ownership of your apartment.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 6:10 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Noreen last time we was over we went and got our deeds from the solicitor we was using, but we changed to Glyn the lawyer and he told us that deeds are not as important as they are in  England but we have given him the original and taken a copy, I do not know what happens if you have a mortgage, does the bank keep it like UK ? We do have our original N IE's we kept them on the day we got them, hope this helps. Pat

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 6:19 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

We paid cash, no mortgage & notary released our escritura to our agent once all monies were paid & agent gave it to us.

On the other hand our wills (originals) are kept at the notary who witnessed our signatures.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/1/2008.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 6:35 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Still waiting for a response from the solicitor but am I surprised? - that would be NO!

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 6:52 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

Hi Noreen

We also have a mortgage and asked our bank about the deeds. They were locked in a safe in the bank and although I asked for a copy she gave me the full file, I just had to sign something to say I had them.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 7:26 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

HI Carolandrichard

The solicitors ears must have been burning!

I have just had a response & he says that the bank have them.

I will now check with the Bank just to make sure & also to see if I can get a copy.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
12 Feb 2008 9:08 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

We have a bank mortgage on our Spanish property and the manager gave us our full, notarised Escritura as soon as it came through from the land registry.  About 3 months after purchase.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
12 Feb 2008 11:35 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Noreen:

Ask your solicitor for the deeds and check the property is duly registered under your name in the Lang Registry!
Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
12 Feb 2008 12:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Hi Noreen, seems you are quite entitled to have the actual deeds not just a copy. Make sure you get it.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 8:52 AM by paulacsa Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Dear nfm 262:

The original deeds which are signed at the Notary are kept at the Notary office, so you will always be able to ask for a copy of the same ( called " copia simple")

Once the purchase deed is signed, the Notary keeps the original Deed and he issues a first copy which is the one which is taken to the Land Registry so your ownership can be registered.  The Land Registry takes around one month to register the ownership and then the first copy of the Purchase Deed can be returned to the buyer.

Normally, the First Copy is taken to the Land Registry by the lawyer, but if you sign a mortgage to finance the purchase, the Bank will arrange all the aspects regarding: paying of purchase deed, mortgage deed, purchase taxes ( VAT, Stamp Duty...), registration of mortgage and ownership at the Land Registry.... This is due to the fact that the Bank wants to control that the mortgage is duly registered under your name and as a charge of the property.  Afterwards, the Bank must give you back the Purchase Deed.

As Maria de Castro said you can alway ask for a Nota Simple at the Land Registry to check that the property was duly registered under your name.

Paula Salamanca - Lawyer

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 8:55 AM by paulacsa Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

My apologizes for my English!

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 9:19 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Welcome Paula. Your help is invaluable.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 9:22 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Hi Paula

Many thanks for the information & also thanks to everyone else who has provided details.

Regards

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 10:50 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Dear Paula, colleague:

Welcome to the forum! You can enjoy this site a lot.

Where are you based?

Best regards,

Maria L. de Castro

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 11:46 AM by paulacsa Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Dear Maria:

Thanks !  My office is based in Marbella, though we also have clients in rural areas in Granada and Malaga. 

The law firm where I work is Costa del Sol Abogados.

Best Regards for everyone and I wish you all a Nice Day.

Paula

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Developer Bankrupt credit crunch bites hard - 1 posts
Quick quick reply needed - 12 posts
Terrazas de Almerimar - 3 posts
65% self certification withdrawn - 1 posts
Ryanair note...... - 43 posts
ALBOX TE NECESITA - ALBOX NEEDS YOU - 1 posts
North ,South , East ,West. - 7 posts
Can someone explain the "I've made x no of posts" - 4 posts
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FORUM - 2 posts
Al Mar El Mar - 6 posts
£19m Lotto winner - 3 posts
Spanish Government hides their banks troubles - 0 posts
swap your uk flat for my 2 bed penthouse - 0 posts
Does this amount sound okay to you tax people out there - 11 posts
About to buy - 17 posts
Camper Van Hire to tour Spain - 0 posts
What is the responsibility of The Townhall? - 8 posts
If you sell a Spanish property and buy another is there relief on capital gains tax? - 7 posts
Flights with British Airways - 40 posts
Towels and bed linen for the rental market - 17 posts
i need a long term let - 1 posts
One for you girls.... - 11 posts
Inland Auctions - 0 posts
FAO Admin: Contacting Rental Agents Problem - 5 posts
Long Term Unfurnished Property Wanted in Alcaidesa - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 18

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x