Drinking Water

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jan 2008 12:00 AM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

Can I ask if anyone drinks the tap water in Spain or just buys the bottled water as we do? I've been reading elsewhere on the internet that there is nothing inherently wrong with the tap water in most areas but it may have a different mineral content which is the cause of some people getting an upset stomach. Does anyone know if this is correct??

Also does anyone use a filter jug & does this work?

Thanks

Like 0      
05 Jan 2008 5:09 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Annie, no we do not drink the tap water but I always use it for tea and coffee it's fine as long as it is boiled.   So I just buy some water for fruit juice drinks, but that is all.  I do not know about filters so will be interesting to see the replies.  Their was a water filter  advertised on the Spanish TV  you could have installed but just the two of us I did not think it was worth it.  Pat

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 1/5/2008.

Like 0      
05 Jan 2008 5:22 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I believe the water is drinkable from the tap, but as you say Annie, it is the difference in mineral content that can cause the problems. When we were over recently, we bought an 8 litre bottle of water and ended up throwing half of it away, but it was winter . All of our tea was made with tap water and all our veg and pasta was cooked in tap water. I even made the ice cubes from tap water (forgot to use bottled) and we ended up brushing our teeth out of the tap too.

As it stands today (touch wood), none of us have come down with the lurgy .

Mark

Like 0      
05 Jan 2008 5:29 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

I've also used the tap water for cooking, boiling for tea / coffee & when brushing my teeth. Also had drinks with ice in (G&T's!) & eaten salads with no effect. Just made me wonder recently if I was dragging those heavy water bottles home for nothing!

Re filter water - I was thinking along the lines of buying a brita jug, filling it with tap water & sticking it in the fridge. What do you think?? Maybe try it myself for a while before giving it the kids though!

Like 0      
05 Jan 2008 5:33 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

When we first came 5 years ago we used to buy bottled water.

We looked at having one of the filters that fits under the sink but it was silly money.

We bought a filter which you can screw on to any tap. It cost approx 16€ and we change the filter bowl about every 3 months ( depending on useage....the water tastes different when it needs changing ). The filter bowl is about 6€.

It is a carbon filter and excellent. It has a switch on the side so you can direct water straight through the tap ( unfiltered, when you use hot water etc. or do not need the water filtered ).

We have found it really good. BUT..................if you do try this system...............REMEMBER..............remove the little black bung from the filter bowl BEFORE you turn the water on.......................OR.................you get ( and everything in sight!!) covered in black water!!!!!!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
05 Jan 2008 5:41 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

You need some more replies I think Annie, but I have noticed a lot of the Spanish in the village buy a lot of water, but they also buy a lot of olive oil bottles of it.   I of each lasts me for ages I must be doing something wrong.  Regards Pat  

Like 0      
06 Jan 2008 4:01 PM by teenee60 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

we used to buy bottled for drinking etc, and tap water for the kettle, we have for the last several visits used a filter jug, its fine, a jug full on the fridge so its nice and cold, and have a large "empty" water bottled which we filter a jug or 2,  full of water and put in empty bottle, so we even use that for the kettle.

We also do that in the uk though, tea, coffee etc taste much better.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2008 7:08 PM by pooley-santos Star rating in London UK/Huercal Ov.... 58 posts Send private message

I have had a walter filter and softener fitted and am happy to use water straight from the tap, now.

Like 0      
06 Jan 2008 8:51 PM by Annie21 Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

Annie21´s avatar

Thanks everyone for your replies  - seems like the filter option is the way to go for us. Teenee - like your idea of filling the empty bottles, so thanks for that will give it a go.

Karensun also like your screw on tap method - where did you get it from??

Like 0      
06 Jan 2008 9:50 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
you can but it from any ferriteriers ( don't think that's how you spell it!! ) it comes in a blue and white box and it's called a siroflex. Ours is great and saves carting water and you can fill bottles and stick it in the fridge too. I had a Brita filter jug in England but found it expensive and to be honest, it took up too much room in the fridge!!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 12:50 PM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Is the water quality different in each region. I know that apparently you can drink the water in some areas of valencia (Moraira)...haven't tested it though...back in February for a week...anyone dare me to have a go?

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 3:46 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar
Although we have the Siroflex tap filter...............I don't think there is anything wrong with the water here, it is certainly drinkable, but as previously stated by someone, the water contains more minerals here than in UK.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
07 Jan 2008 4:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Where we are, on outskirts of Guardamar, the tap water tastes awful though friends with a property by Carrefour have very pleasant drinking water. We only use the tap water in the kettle. We  pick up Lidl's 5 litres for around 35c each time we shop. Once permanent we will review the situation, or move !

Like 0      
10 Jan 2008 7:08 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Quote pknott: "Is the water quality different in each region. I know that apparently you can drink the water in some areas of valencia (Moraira)...haven't tested it though...back in February for a week...anyone dare me to have a go?"

Yes, I think every municipality provides it's own water supply, so it stands to reason that the quality and content will vary considerably.

We happily use tap water for everything (even showering in!) except drinking - but luckily for us, Torremolinos is world famous (well, in Torremolinos at least) for it's mineral water, and there are a few points around town where you can fill your own containers with pure spring water. All the locals do it, so we do likewise, especially as the nearest fuente is only 100 metres up the road from us. Except for the queues of little old ladies, and the sign saying no more than 5 litres per person per day, I'd do a Del-boy, and bottle the stuff all day long and sell it to Prince Charles!

And you all thought Torremolinos was only about lager louts!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 9:59 AM by pknott Star rating in Costa Blanca. 142 posts Send private message

pknott´s avatar
Excellent...your product probably has less impurities than Charles!!

Ta

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 10:10 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
The water in Manilva, where we are, is so bad that all water boilers fail within 6 months.  When ours blew after just 7 months the technician came round to take a look and was horrified when he opened it up.  It had the insides of a 10 year old boiler!

Our friend had the water tested and it was so bad that we were advised to not even use it to brush our teeth with.

Bottled water it is for us then!

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 1:26 PM by sunnyside Star rating in UK/Duquesa. 95 posts Send private message

sunnyside´s avatar

Scary stuff Justin. What do you do now regarding boiler, do you have some sort of system to stop calcium build up

now?

I know we now used bottled water in the kettle as it blew up one day because of the build up!!

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 1:34 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
We haven't done anything with the boiler, just waiting for it to fail again!  Me being lazy...must sort something out

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
11 Jan 2008 3:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

We use anti-cal pills (available in all supermarkets) in every wash to prevent the washing machine going the same way as Justin's boiler. As for the water tank, you can buy some sort of magnetic device that clamps on the water pipe before the tank that somehow is supposed to reduce the build up, but I don't know how efeective they are. As for kettles, don't need one - the coffee is far better in the local cafe, and far more enjoyable taken there anyway!

Justin's anatomical description of the insides of a 7 month old looking like that of a 10 year old could equally have been applied to many a poor ex-pat's liver, I fear. And that's not to say that the quality of the local lager is as poor as the water.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
12 Jan 2008 12:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Happy New Year Rob, good to "see" you. We use this here in the UK to combat hard water generally as it is very hard where we live. http://www.scalewizard.co.uk/?gcid=S18394x004-brand&keyword=scalewizard It relies though on being next to an electricity socket. However, in Spain, we have a problem as water is piped directly through walls into villa & we haven't the necessary distance. We saw a magnetic device in our local shops here (comprising two magnets which clamp themselves aroung the water pipe that comes into your home as long as there's around 15", only £5 too) & we wondered if we could implement it in Spain but sadly again no, we haven't necessary leeway.  The water meter is in the wall outside our villa & there's not enough room to clamp the two magnets on though we bought one for friends who have put it under their sink. 

Seeing as electrical products in Spain certainly are guaranteed for two years what redress (I wonder) do you have if things fail due to hard water ? http://cec.consumo-inc.es/cec/secciones/Ayuda/Derechos/Espana/Derechos/Garantias_en.asp

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Property Management - 0 posts
Are some "budget" airlines taking us for a ride? - 16 posts
Standard poodle puppies for sale - 1 posts
Hello All - 4 posts
New User - 2 posts
Photo ID requirements - 10 posts
Property Bargain! - 0 posts
Happy New Year from your newest 2 users. xox - 26 posts
Looking for property to rent for next christmas? - 3 posts
Buying off-plan. Fixed completion date or unfair term - 2 posts
Hi everybody from Benajarafe, Málaga - 1 posts
Car seats for very young babies - 13 posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR! - 2 posts
Schools - Spanish v International - 29 posts
Mortgage Criteria Tightening - 7 posts
A website about new construction property in Murcia - 2 posts
can anyone help - 3 posts
can anyone help - 1 posts
Advice on Off-plan Disaster Please - 18 posts
Hello, Happy New Year from Mag and Mitch from Edinburgh - soon Albamar, Quesada - 2 posts
Picture framing - 0 posts
Driving Lessons in Estepona - 0 posts
Endessa Online help please - 37 posts
Waxing lyrical about the city of Murcia yet again - 3 posts
A Happy Spain Experience - 43 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x