Freeview in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Dec 2007 12:00 AM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 2/4/2008.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
16 Dec 2007 8:54 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi San Miguel,

Not sure on that question sorry, but have a look at the thread on communal dishes, I'm on the run from the sky police now If you do find out any more info let me know.

Cheers

Like 0      
16 Dec 2007 9:23 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Friends live in the Campo in Xativa, they bought a TV from Carrefour and receive the signal from an indoor ariel.  The tv they bought had dual something printed on the outside of the box and when they see a prompt in the top right hand of the screen they press one of the coloured buttons and are able to change the lanquage to English.

They haven't set up the dish yet they also bought in Carrefour so am unable to help further.

I subscribe to the hookie Sky system and a few of the programmes are from a Spanish system rather than Sky.  How that works I've no idea, the programme is in English but the adverts are Spanish.

Like 0      
16 Dec 2007 10:28 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
17 Dec 2007 10:13 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You will get Spanish freeview channels.  Or, that is to say, programmes broadcast by Spanish TV stations.  If the original programme is in English, you should have a dual audio system button (marked I and II) and you can change the language from Spanish to the original language.  It may be on your audio setup button (mine is marked stero - I B - II B).  There are about 30 channels on Spanish freeview so the chances of some of the broadcasts being originally English (or, more probably, American) are pretty good.  Of course, if the original language is Spanish the button won't make any difference.

Edited to say: A good outdoor aerial is a must.  Just like in UK you need a decent aerial to pick up the broadcasts so you won't get them on an indoor aerial (unless you live within spitting distance of the transmitter).  The communal aerials are usually purpose built for these transmissions.

This message was last edited by bobaol on 12/17/2007.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2007 8:22 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Thanks for the instructions Baboal.  I'm going to use them to check if my TV from Eroski has this system.

My friends remote is exactly the same as ours for our Bush TV in UK and they press one of the coloured buttons (Teletext) whenever the logo appears on the screen

We have been collecting DVD's for years and have quite a collection out in Spain.  If they pull the plug on the hookie TV then we won't be lost for something to watch but I do like to keep up with the news.  My Spanish is not great but I can get the gist of what's being said.

Has anyone purchased the satellite transmitters from Aldi/Lidl, are these just a booster signal for Freeview or do they have different channels.

I'd be interested to know what channels are on them.

Like 0      
18 Dec 2007 7:24 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
18 Dec 2007 9:31 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The two I have bought in Spain have that system.  Plus the new one I have in UK also has the dual audio system.

Regarding the satellite systems from Lidl or Aldi, these are the same as the ones sold in Maplin UK for camping holidays.

I think I posted earlier the channels you can pick up which are virtually all German, Scandinavian, Dutch etc from the old Astra IV satellites and others from around the world.  You can get English news programmes which would make it worth it (I think the suitcase system, with everything included, is about 75 pounds in UK.)  It comes with a compass so you can set it to 28.2 degrees east.  If you can get this bird, you can receive all the free channels carried by the Sky network but you will need a larger dish than that provided by Lidl, typically a 1.3 metre dish should give you a good picture for most of the day.  You can also pick up Atlantic Bird 3 on 5 degrees West which has some US News channels on.  The picture tends to drop out in the evening, though.

You can also get things like Al Jazeera, Libyan TV, etc etc which aren't really worth it.  I did find (from France, not Spain) you could get Cartoon Network in English which was great for the kids but the transmission ended at 6 pm.

The Astra satellite have mainly encrypted channels so the best satellite to try and get is Hotbird which is on 13degrees East and a 65 cm dish is sufficient for use in Spain.  BBC broadcasts on this but I have yet to pick up a signal. 

This is list of channels on Hotbird (non encrypted)

Note this is Not a complete list)

If you get one, you should also invest in a digital tuner (just a little electronic gadget that gives you a visual display of the satellite signal so you can align the dish better) which cost about 25 quid.  You can then have fun moving the dish around and seeing what you can pick.  You might get lucky and pick up something good as there are a load of satellites up there. 

These systems cannot be used to to pick up Sky TV with a decoder, though, as the frequency range is different.

Have fun

(PS By suitcase system, I mean just that.  The whole thing comes in a small suitcase with the dish, LNB, connectors, decoder, cable etc all included).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48737&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=satellite&doy=18m12

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 3:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Haven't been reading this thread but wondered if this freeview receiver, which I saw advertised in the email I received just now from Aldi, was of interest to members. Available Thursday Special Buys 31st January 2008 £18.99

Freeview Digital Receiver  available

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 4:19 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I don't think it will work out in Spain as neighbours had to have the "microwave tv system" set up via a Spanish video recorder as the TV wasn't suitable.  I would imagine that this freeview is set up to receive programmes from a set signal.

I think Baboal is referring to the satallite systems which are occasionally on sale in Lidl's or Aldi's in Spain.  They also have them in Carrefour.

Interesting thing to know even if I don't quite understand all the explanation  I'll leave that for the technophobe if we should ever need it, although if we should loose Sky Sport I think I'll have a riot on my hands. 

Me I'll just do a Cathrine Tate, am I bothered.

Like 0      
28 Jan 2008 4:43 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

As I said semi, I'd not been reading thread. Our friends bought one in Lidl's (in Spain) on offer whilst we were over last year as they'd seen the advert leaflet they'd picked up previous week. Forgot to mention it to us & by the time we got there (went to every Lidl's we knew too) they were all gone.  Never mind, we went for the Telmicro package at great cost.

As Catherine Tate would agree with you...

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 1:35 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
Freeview boxes scan the channels between 21 and 69 or the frequencys associated with those channels so if any digital signals are present the freeview box will pick it up as long as the aerial used is appropriate

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 1:44 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Which freeview boxes are you talking about?  The one's sold here or in Spain.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 1:53 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar

ones here definately do it that way the ones in spain should do the same I will check with my father who is a tv technician.

The ones from this country should still work in spain as both countries use the pal system its just that they use a different audio

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 4:21 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Just wanted to make sure, I thought I read somewhere that UK Freeview boxes will not work in Spain or maybe it was that it will not pick up the same programmes in Spain that it does here.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 5:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
I read same forums as you Semi, as you know & I agree. We did see that somewhere, could have been EOS.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 5:27 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Maybe, I can never be sure where I read it just that I did.

Like 0      
01 Feb 2008 5:45 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
It will pick up the ones available in Spain only

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 9:05 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

It's a while since we discussed Freeview in Spain.  Before I start, may I point out that I am talking about the Spanish digital TV which broadcasts in Spain and NOT the Freeview you get in UK.  You may be able to pick up UK Freeview when it goes over the satellite system but, due to the forecast low power, you may need a very big dish.

You can receive Freeview in any country through your PC.  There is a system known as a PC Dongle for TV.  This is one of those things that look like a memory stick and plugs into your USB port.  An aerial plugs into the dongle and, lo and behold, you can receive Freeview digital TV on your PC.  The kit, however, is only as good as the aerial.  It comes with a very small whip aerial and I haven't managed to pick up any channels at all in UK on it.  However, plugging a normal indoor aerial into (albeit upstairs) I picked up 37 channels on it.

When setting it up, it asks what country you are in and you can set it to UK, Spain or any of about 50 different countries. 

The good news is they cost about £15 to £20 and come with a remote control, aerial, dongle and software CD.  You don't need a Freeviewbox and, as it doesn't come down the phone line, you don't even need broadband or any phone connection at all.  Of course, it will all be in Spanish but I have e-mailed the company to see if it can be used in Dual language mode, like the TVs are.

I'm going to try it in Spain next week to see what I pick up.  If you have one of them new-fangled LCD or Plasma TVs you can link your PC to your TV and have digital quality pictures on your TV set.

Of course, the Slingbox is a better option but you require a broadband connection for that.

Edited to say: the one I got cost £9.99 plus £5.00 p&p.  Called a Digital TV DVB-T USB Adapter/Dongle

This message was last edited by bobaol on 2/22/2008.

Like 0      
22 Feb 2008 10:33 PM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

Thanks for that, be interested to hear how you get on and what programmes you can pick up.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Belmonte International San Miguel de Salinas, Alicante - 3 posts
Does anyone know a locksmith in the Orihuela/Murcia area - 6 posts
Locksmith in the Orihuela/Murcia area - 0 posts
advice - 9 posts
Air Miles - 2 posts
C2SKYMARBELLA HAVE NOW REOPENED AS "HILLTOP PROPERTY SERVICES!" - 8 posts
C2SKYMARBELLA HAVE NOW REOPENED AS "HILLTOP PROPERTY SERVICES" - 0 posts
Property Management, make the right choice - 46 posts
Who's active on this forum - at Bosque III? - 0 posts
Furniture Delivery - 2 posts
fines for lack of bank guarantee - 6 posts
Greetings! - 7 posts
Telephone and Internet Installed - 11 posts
On the outside - 7 posts
CHEAP FLIGHTS - 4 posts
More like driving through Spain...and France....to UK - 17 posts
GET WELL SOON JUSTIN!!! - 8 posts
childs mini bike - 0 posts
Easyjet's latest !! Speedy Boarding Plus ! - 0 posts
Can anyone give advice? Mum's changed her mind!! - 5 posts
Not ANOTHER Trevor McDonald prog ?? YEP ! - 99 posts
Justin.. bucket's in trouble ! - 1 posts
Spanish need help! - 2 posts
Mansion Club Marbella - Long Term Rental Required by Professional Couple - 0 posts
Mansion Club Marbella - Long Term Rental required by Professional Couple - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 45

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x