Any recommendations for Spanish restaurants on Costa del Sol?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Nov 2007 12:00 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi

We are going to be staying in Benalmadena for a week, and wondered if anybody could recommend any good, inexpensive Spanish restaurants either there or any way en route to Marbella?  We don't drive, but will be using the train between Malaga and Fuengirola, and the bus travelling down to Marbella or further towards Estapona.  We are also walkers, so it doesn't have to be literally beside a train station or bus stop!

We have been to the Costa del Sol before but it would be nice to try somewhere new, so let's hear it for your hidden gems!

Thanks.

Sue & John

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
08 Nov 2007 10:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You could do worse than try one of the most popular Spanish restaurants in Torremolinos. Only 5-10 minutes walk from the train station, on Calle Europa, it's called Lanjarron. As you walk up C/Europa, you will see Nueva Lanjarron first, but next door (a little bit further up the hill) is the original and IMHO the best. When you come out of the station there's a big board with a map of the town to help you, but most locals will know it if you ask.

They serve some excellent typical Spanish starters which you don't often find elsewhere these days. Don't worry about the fact that most main courses are only 3 or 4 euros - after the starters, you won't need a big dish! 25 euros for two will probably see you stuffed to the gills and swaying happily back to the station later. The waiters are all very friendly and speak good English. It was recommended to me 5 years ago when I first moved to Torremolinos, and I've yet to find anything better. A real gem!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Nov 2007 7:50 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hola Roberto!

Sounds like our sort of Spanish restaurant - can't wait to try it out!  Thanks for the tip.

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
25 Nov 2007 3:17 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Thanks, Roberto. 

We found the restaurant and as it was lunch time we had menu del dia for 6.60 euros, which is the cheapest we have found so far!  It consisted of 3 courses, bread and a glass of wine each (John paid 1 euro for an extra glass of vino tinto) - and not only was the meal cheap but also the food was very good, so we endorse your recommendation.  Most if not all of the other customers were Spanish too - I wasn't able to eavesdrop on all the conversations to confirm this - which speaks for itself.

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
25 Nov 2007 3:19 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Sorry, seem to have posted the message twice!

Sue

This message was last edited by suemac on 11/25/2007.

Sue Walker

Like 0      
25 Nov 2007 6:14 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
One of my favourite restaurants in Marbella is a place called "Bar California".  It's look really "nothing" from outside but the seafood there is some of the best I've ever tasted.  It's gets REALLY busy because of the quality and the fact that it's very cheap.  You often see some famous people in there too as it has an amazing reputation.

Great place, great food, great atmosphere...just get there early.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Nov 2007 6:35 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Justin

Thanks for the tip, though a bit late for this time as we are now back in the UK!   However it would be helpful to know exactly where it is for our next visit.

Thanks.

Sue

Sue Walker

Like 0      
26 Nov 2007 7:35 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

"not only was the meal cheap but also the food was very good, so we endorse your recommendation"

Unfortunately they charge so little, they can't afford to pay me commission for recommending them! I'm just pleased you found it and enjoyed your meal.

Whenever we eat there in the evening, we go for a drink afterwards at The Galloping Major, a very English looking pub run by a Spanish father & son, just down the hill and across the road. The owner of Lanjaron usually pops in there for a drink with his waiters after work, and if he sees any of his customers there, he always sends over a drink - so the meal is even cheaper overall!!!

So there's another recommendation for your next visit. And, the pub has the best aircon in the world (apart from Zara's shops and El Corte Ingles), so if you're in town during the summer months, it's the best place to enjoy a cool beer.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
30 Nov 2007 6:05 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
You know i thought I had seen you in the cocktail dress section at Zara's!! Where I get all my little saucy numbers!!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
30 Nov 2007 8:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Pop down the Galloping Major on a Friday night, and you might just catch me in something much more revealing.....

Mark Twain

Like 0      
03 Dec 2007 5:14 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

I would always pop down your galloping major - any  night - not just Fridays!! But then I prefer the Patrolling Privates - always been a fan of the other ranks

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A question for Justin regarding privacy in our PMs. - 8 posts
I thought this was nice, - 4 posts
Basic Healthcare - 2 posts
Anti-social behaviour - 9 posts
Proxy Vote and DNI - 4 posts
Polaris World on Watchdog - 23 posts
Costa Blanca Fish and chips - 10 posts
Swimming Pool - 0 posts
DNI requirement. for community proxy vote - 2 posts
Matt & Lou - 1 posts
Swimming Pool - 2 posts
breech of contract? - 3 posts
habitation licences advice - 28 posts
My Yorkshire Terrier pup only weighs 50 grams! - 2 posts
help with rental - 0 posts
Pressure to Complete - 30 posts
Small dog wanted - UK (Brighton/Croydon area) - 8 posts
VAN HIRE TORREVIEJA - 1 posts
new member - 3 posts
UPDATE RE LATEST VISIT - MARCH 2007 - 7 posts
Getting a trade - 1 posts
Hand over soon - 0 posts
paddle tennis - 3 posts
Which areas to be looking at? - 11 posts
Interest Rates - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x