FIRST TIME BUYERS IN SPAIN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by tpau Star rating in Leicestershire. 21 posts Send private message

Hiya all, we are just purchasing our first property in spain, we are buying through homeespana and are using a solicitor they recommended, i am starting to feel a bit jittery about this and really hope we have done the right thing, so any words of comfort or advice would be appreciated.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2007 7:03 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Tpau

There will probably be a lot of yays and nays here. A lot of people believe that you should always use an independent solicitor than the one the agent recommends. I did use a solicitor that I was introduced to by our agent, all be it a samll independent agent and i am an agent myself so was comfortable to use him. I couln't fault him at all and he did a marvellous job for us throughout a very stressful purchase. Maybe it was because it was a small independent, rather than a large company agent and I had done a lot of research beforehand I can't say but as I said I was happy but I know there are a lot who haven't been as lucky. As long as there is no conflict of interest and the solicitor is acting in your best interest which is what he/she is supposed to do then everything should be ok. Sorry to be so vague as I understand you are jittery especially as there are a lot of tales of woe but try and ask as many questions as you possibly can and hopefully all will go well. I'm sure there are members here that may have dealt with the company you mention and will be able to answer you. Good luck with your purchase, where are you buying?

Like 0      
28 Oct 2007 8:46 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Hi Tpau

We have just completed our purchase in Vera, Costa Almeria & I have to say that the 6 months since our inspection trip has been very stressful.

BUT....... the sense of relief when it finally became ours (& the banks!) was incredible. We have just returned from a very quick few days to get it all sorted out & we are very happy with it.

Would I do it all over again?....... Yes, but I would do it differently. I wouldn't use the big agents & I would also have the advantage of using the information available on Eye on Spain. Unfortunately, I didn't find EOS until after we had committed to the purchase, the solicitor & the mortgage broker.

If you are looking for a mortgage broker, we switched to Mortgages4Spain who advertise on this site & I can't fault teh service we received from them.

Good luck with whatever decisions you make & don't forget to ask loads of questions on here as there is always someone who can point you in the right direction.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
28 Oct 2007 10:11 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Hi Tpau,

we bought 5 years ago ( I'd never heard of EOS then!) through a big agent who gets stick on the forum, but we had no problems. Also we used the solicitor they recommended and she was great, as soon as I met her I thought she would be good cos of her 'no nonesense - straight for the jugular' attitude.

So there are for and againsts for going both ways.

Ask lots of questions on the forum, make sure you get all the bits of paper you need and always pay any monies via your solicitor and get proof.  good luck.

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
29 Oct 2007 11:31 PM by tpau Star rating in Leicestershire. 21 posts Send private message

Hi again

Thankyou for your advice and experiences, I feel a little more at ease now, will keep you posted over the next few weeks

We are buying in la zenia

Like 0      
30 Oct 2007 9:32 PM by jimmy thornton Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hello! I have no words of comfort but im also jittery before going on an inspection trip with amba sun as think all a bit dodgy! Should i go do you think?

Like 0      
31 Oct 2007 7:53 AM by Fly380 Star rating in Las Filipinas, Orihu.... 253 posts Send private message

tpau if you are buying a Tecnologia house on La Zenia Elite be very very careful especially if you are using the agents whose HQ is in La Zenia and you are  using their lawyers in Punta Prima and you are paying cash.

Like 0      
02 Nov 2007 3:34 PM by SophieRF Star rating in Quesada. 62 posts Send private message

Hiya,

Buying a house in general is a very stressful time, but by using the right agent it can also be one of the most fun and exciting times, my advice to you would be if you dont trust the agency you are booked to go on an inspection trip with dont go, its a big decision and one you should be confident in.

To tpau, if you are buying a tecnologia house be very very careful and use an independent solicitor, there are alot of stories about tecnologia.

All the best in finding the right property for you

Like 0      
02 Nov 2007 8:02 PM by Candyfloss Star rating in Cardiff / Mar Menor. 1605 posts Send private message

Candyfloss´s avatar

Hi Jimmy

Don't worry about the  inspection trip. Just keep your wits about you and leave the cheque book at home.

Do as much research as you can before you go.

Most importantly make sure the agent actually listens to what you want and where!!!!!

DON'T LET THEM PRESSURE YOU.

If they are any good they won't put the pressure on anyway. Good luck

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

hello everyone - 3 posts
Stop press: Justin promises .............. - 10 posts
Anyone out there from Northern Costa Blanca ? - 14 posts
WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GO - 4 posts
Baby Emma appeal - update - 4 posts
wealth tax - 28 posts
Property costs calculator - 0 posts
Mr - 14 posts
Introduction - 3 posts
Any chance of my PMs ever working again ? - 6 posts
Taxi licence...... - 0 posts
JUST INTRODUCING MYSELF :) - 9 posts
Communal Dishes - 60 posts
Introduction. - 1 posts
Restaurants close to La Torre - 7 posts
GB Airways - 0 posts
Selling off plan tax?? - 3 posts
Secluded villa wanted for photo shoot....... - 2 posts
Question about Lo crispin. - 8 posts
general information - 5 posts
Hi everyone - 3 posts
english radio stations - 12 posts
Watchdog??? - 8 posts
Orihuela Costa - Development Hell - 6 posts
Road directions - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x