bankers draft rip off

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Oct 2007 12:00 AM by bobthebuilder Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have found that spannish banks charge an unlimited .3% of value to provide a bankers draft. I find this to be nothing short of obscene and want to avoid being abused in this manner. A bankers draft in the UK costs £10 no matter how much it is for.

why are they allowed to make such rediculous and unjustified charges and how can I avoid or at least minimise this

anybody have any ideas?

regards

bob

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 9:36 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi There - yes it is awful but one of my clients managed to negotiate the percentage down - you have to haggle with them and take no prisoners!

Good luck!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 1:50 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

Hi Bob

At least you have been forewarned about it, we weren't and were displeased to say the least when we discovered a €700 ish charge on our bank statement - AFTER we had completed and without being told, despite paying 1.5 % commission to the bank to arrange the mortgage. We complained and managed to get €400 back. When a neighbour was informed about this charge (and he wasn't getting a mortgage it was coming directly out of his account) he told the bank he did not wish to pay this charge and that he would issue one of his own cheques instead which he asked the bank to guarantee, the bank duly waived the fee entirely and gave him a draft. It definately pays to question fees and look at alternatives in Spain.

Like 0      
08 Oct 2007 7:13 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

As Rixxy says: ".....negotiate the percentage down - you have to haggle with them and take no prisoners!"

I've haggled my bank's fee down to 0%! Of course, it helps if you have a history with the bank, or if you have other funds invested there, but the point is, as with all bank fees here, it pays to negotiate, and if necessary, shop around. Additional warning - most banks will try to charge an equally (perhaps even more) outrageous fee for depositing a banker's draft! Even when it's one of their own!!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
15 Nov 2007 7:20 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Barclays charge 0.50% for a draft and there is no negotiation!!! We looked into sending a BACS payment to our mortgage provider to try and prevent the charge, but unlike the UK, there is a 0.25% fee!! Cheaper than the draft, but even so . We have a little bit of good news though. As my Wife is Barclays staff, we can have a draft for €100 irrespective of the amount. Money, money and more money!

Mark

Like 0      
15 Nov 2007 8:00 PM by saznaz Star rating in los altos and kent. 134 posts Send private message

If you bank with santander you don't get charged anything from sterling to euro up to 50000euro per transaction Just write a sterling cheque but it can take up to two weeks Although not sure what they charge once transferred to another bank in spain I have a list of charges but don't have them on me Ps the euro is pants at the moment we r due to complete in december and its gonna cost a fortune if the rate doesn't improve

Like 0      
15 Nov 2007 8:07 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I had a look on Xe tonight and it is down to 1.3955 . The bulk of our money was sent over in September when the rate was a bit healthier at 1.46 (something). It can't carry on decreasing can it?

Mark

Like 0      
15 Nov 2007 9:06 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Wait until completion day Mark & then you'll see the money fly out of your account!!

Really hope everything goes well on the 30th & can'r wait to see the "Good news" post.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
15 Nov 2007 9:12 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Won't have to wait for completion Noreen, most of it is all coming out a few days before!

"The stamp duty tax, notary fee and land registry fee, will be payed by the Mortgage people, as they will be in charge of register the property, so you will need to transfer the funds provision prior completion."

So my solicitor has the easy job of just raising one draft on theday or day before, the rest is gone a few days before that .

Mark

Like 0      
15 Nov 2007 9:15 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Ours was all done by the Bank that we took our mortgage with & the only amount they debited the account with on the day was the IVA.

Nothing was taken out before & everything else was paid the day after completion.

We had a few days in Spain the week after completion & it was wonderful knowing it was finally ours.

Enjoy!

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
15 Nov 2007 9:51 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Ahhh, but you used a REAL bank though. We are using a Toytown American bank that doesn't have any branches. How does that old saying go? Seemed like a good idea at the time .

Mark

Like 0      
15 Nov 2007 11:25 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Usually (in my experience at least) the "provision of funds" is calculated on the pessimistic side to ensure there is more than enough to cover all expenses. The good news is, this means that a couple of months after completion, you may get a little refund - maybe enough to buy a bottle of cava to celebrate your new property with!

Hope that's cheered you up a bit

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Nov 2007 10:00 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Not when you can get cava for 1.69 euros!!!! But hey, cheer up - you may be able to enjoy 2 bottles!!!!!!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
16 Nov 2007 3:23 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Oh Rixxy, I was trying to add a more positive note, and you go and spoil it.

BTW, I think LIDL do a fairly acceptable vino de cardboard for about .59c, and if you don't mind fighting with the Albanians & Kosovans,  you can pick up your weekend groceries from the wheelie bins for nothing. There, that should cheer everyone up.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
01 Dec 2010 2:54 PM by danny2511 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I have been told today that a bankers draft for 57000€ from Halifax/lloyds spain will cost me 94€

this is a blatant rip off

Like 0      
01 Dec 2010 3:35 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Danny

We had this with the Halifax, try asking them If they can reduce it if you take home insurance with them, it worked for us, they reduced the charge by 50%

S

Like 0      
01 Dec 2010 8:29 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

I have been told today that a bankers draft for 57000€ from Halifax/lloyds spain will cost me 94€

this is a blatant rip off

I'd say that was quite cheap compared to the normal 0,4% charge.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Tell them you'll take it in cash - it'll probably cost them more to arrange the delivery, so they may agree to reduce their fee for one little piece of paper. Worth a try.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 1:20 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

You need to negotiate on all bank charges to suit the type of transactions you regularly do.

I pay a fee of 0.15% with a max fee of  EUR6 for a cheque bancario regardless of the amount.

I have my own table of charges!

If you are extranjero then in banking terms that means they can steal from you.

Some transactions charges can be as high a 0.5% with no upper limit if you do not negotiate - by UK stardards this is shocking - I have known poeple pay EUR1,500 as one transaction charge.

Like 0      
02 Dec 2010 1:59 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

My bank doesn't have to arrange delivery if you want cash : You ask & they hand it over. Seen 180k withdrawn without prior notice.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

just to say hi, - 5 posts
I dont know where to start, help! - 36 posts
12th october - 4 posts
All seems to have gone pear shaped - 179 posts
Driving to almeria - 7 posts
Cortijos de la Bahia, Casares by developer El Arco de Marbella SL - 0 posts
New Member - 1 posts
already posted in the short term one by mistake. rental within 30 mins of airport required - 4 posts
long term rental required within 30 minutes of alicante/murcia airport - 8 posts
Completion 'check list' - 2 posts
Steps to get your children into State Schools in Spain - 9 posts
ICE-RINKS - 2 posts
The rental business in Spain needs to be regulated - 9 posts
Private Messages problem - 2 posts
Importing car from outside Europe - 5 posts
hello im new to this forum - 0 posts
Debonair Air Conditioning - 3 posts
Caleta Paraiso - 3 posts
Maintenance service - San Cayetano - 1 posts
The RAIN in Spain.......................... - 40 posts
halloween/guy fawkes - 0 posts
Ryannair Summer flights 2008 - 1 posts
Llanera in trouble - 1 posts
help - 2 posts
20,001 Members - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x