Mobile phones

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Sep 2007 12:00 AM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

I am sure this subject has been covered lots but couldn't find much on my quick glance through the different forums.Just too lazy to look really - I thought I'd better get that in quickly before someone else does !!

What are the best - by best I mean cheapest and reliable - companies to get a mobile phone through,we will sadly not be residents but will be in Spain as much as possible.It's not practical to keep using our UK phones for Spanish calls.

Maybe it's better to just buy a Spanish sim (is that how it's spelt,I've never written it before?) card ?

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
30 Sep 2007 11:38 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Gilly, That is what I have done bought a Spanish mobile to use when in Spain.  That is what I was advised to do hope this helps.  Regards Pat

Like 0      
30 Sep 2007 11:45 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Sorry forgot to say bought it in Carrefour,  about 40euros.   Pat

Like 0      
01 Oct 2007 6:44 AM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

We picked one up in Carrefour for €25 and it had €15 of credit on it too. It's a Moviestar cheap Nokia but it does the job when we're there.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
01 Oct 2007 9:54 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

It was suggested to us recently that we should buy a Spanish mobile rather than put a Spanish SIM card into a UK mobile. Remember your UK mobile will need to be unlocked prior to it being able to be used with a Spanish SIM card. Have that done in the UK as in Spain they charge a lot more as we know to our cost. (Unlocking was 25 euros, Spanish SIM card was 24 euros with 18 euros credit.) We were advised to go for an Orange tariff for cheapness. (Currently we use a Spanish SIM card in my husband's UK mobile on Movistar tariff as, when we did that three years ago, we were advised Movistar had better coverage.) We need to top up with 5 euros minimum every six months to keep SIM active.

Carrefour & many phone shops seem to have terrific offers on Spanish mobiles on a PAYG tariff.  

If you want to unlock your UK mobile look at this site http://www.trycktill.com/eng/  where they give free codes if you're confident enough to risk doing it yourself. Some mobiles cannot be unlocked.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2007 10:04 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I searched & saw this, excuse copy & paste. Thought it sounded interesting.

14 Mar 2007 11:58 PM

crackers
Star rating
Parcela

I've made 16 posts

Send private message to crackers

We use a spanish vodaphone sim card when in Spain.  You can top up at most supermarkets etc from as little as 5 euros.   From information picked up also from the Money Saving Expert website, we purchased a Eurodirect Phone card for 6 euros which gives you about 800 minutes call time when calling UK landlines from the mobile.  It is valid for 45 days once it is validated.  We were also advised to change our tarrif to '60 for 1' .  Can't remember the exact name for it but it enables you to call UK landlines after 4pm  weekdays + all weekend for up to 60 minutes while paying for only 1 minute and it appears to work.  In addition to this your sim card is charged a connection fee of a few cents but it is still cheap if you like long chats.  You can put the spanish sim in any UK mobile as long it is not locked.  If it is locked, you can often find free codes to unlock, also from MSE site.

Cheapest UK landline call to Spanish mobile 9p per minute, and to spanish landlines 1p - all found on MSE site international callchecker.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2007 6:21 PM by gillian Star rating in Colchester and Altea.... 187 posts Send private message

Thank you all so much for all the help - what would I do without this site !! 

Gilly & Ralph

Like 0      
01 Oct 2007 7:25 PM by jencoo Star rating in east Yorkshire/ Daya.... 131 posts Send private message

Hi moresado

Good tip about the eurodirect card.

I can correct you on the call prices to spain .

Uk landline to spanish mobile  from as little as 7p, but you have to keep checking.

Uk landline to Spanish landline from only half p. This has been on for some time now.

These are both from the international calls found on money saving expert.

Steve

Like 0      
01 Oct 2007 7:32 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Hi, don't know prices, etc., because never thought to look into that when we got our card.

My husband has roaming from UAE, so just keeps his phone going, but I've got a Spain sim card (Orange) which I swap when I land in Spain (or anywhere in Europe).  I just make sure it's topped up with at least 15 euros before we return to the middle east and it hasn't been a problem yet. 

Can't comment on the tarrifs but even dialling international numbers, don't think we spent over 100 euros in five weeks (and I was dialling and messaging the UAE and UK, from Spain and UK, a lot!!).  So, is that a lot?  Because we can only compare to here and it's no comparison really.

Like 0      
01 Oct 2007 9:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Steve

As I was copying & pasting I was really only thinking about info on eurodirect card which was the part I highlighted so up to all to check out http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/  website really.

I didn't think much about the rest mainly as we are talking about cost from Spain to UK, not UK to Spain. I use http://www.dialwise.co.uk/index2.php which I assume you're talking about, a brilliant cheap way to contact Spain though not Spain to the UK.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 10/1/2007.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2007 3:45 PM by AuntieEm Star rating in Scarborough. 287 posts Send private message

AuntieEm´s avatar

hi

we have just come home from spain and while over there i bought a mobile phone at Carrefour.  In my best Spanish i asked for the cheapest non contract mobile that they had.  I got a very trendy, super slim, pink Samsung on Movistar for 39 euros (which included 17 euros of credit.)

semijubilada was so impressed she went the next day and replaced her old brick like mobile with one of these (she also said that since it was "hot pink" it might stop her husband nicking it!)

we just need to top up every 6 months to keep the credit active.  The top-up can be from 5 euros.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2007 8:00 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Em, don't forget to go to that little newsagents behind Lo Maribu cafe by Laguna hotel for your 5 euro top up. We tried many others & all wanted 15-20 euro top ups, not interested in minimum 5. In that shop the girl asked how much we wanted put on, asked for our number then she rang a number on her landline. Straight away our mobile registered the extra 5 euro top up.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Travel cots,High chairs etc - 3 posts
Urgently needed - 2 posts
Hi all anybody connected to Pereleja Golf ? - 1 posts
Help needed please!! - 13 posts
AIB Technical - a WARNING!!! - 8 posts
Forums - 75 posts
Iberian international - 9 posts
Roofing - 4 posts
Cheque made out to me in sterling can i put it in my spanish account - 1 posts
Frank & Veronica - 2 posts
janacky - 2 posts
R12 Developers in Cox - 0 posts
Fee free banking - 4 posts
Cox Developement sierra del sol - 4 posts
new to site need advice on furniture for propery please - 0 posts
Polaris World - Los Naranjos de Alhama - 2 posts
Visit La Medina de Banus - 4 posts
Looking for good sales/rental agent - 8 posts
Anyone know the address for the Policia Nacional in Gandia - 1 posts
Help - Broadband - 2 posts
Recommendations as to the best way to finance a property in Spain - 3 posts
PC gone to far again - The Red Arrows ?? - 14 posts
LHD UK registered Opel Vectra for sale in CB North £1,250 - 1 posts
Transferring a german plated car to spanish plates - 0 posts
The "new" flightchecker from Martin's tips - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x