Getting your 16-18 year Old Thru. to Becoming a Professional Here in Spain.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Sep 2007 12:00 AM by Grazy Star rating in Estepona. 17 posts Send private message

Hi All,

For those who would like to know more about how a 16-year-old Bilingual student living in Spain (Span-Eng.) can become a professional.

True stories:

My son studied at Spanish state school until it stopped providing a good service. This occurred when he was 13. As “good” parents we were forced to pay for him to go to a private English Int. college where he became a straight A student at IGCSE. He is now doing his A/S’s, but the private colleges on the CDS are rather poor and parents must keep a very close eye on how their son/daughter is progressing. A good British state school would be much better.

At A/S he got B, D, D,D and in all cases he was just a few % below the grade boundary, now he will have to do a bunch of expensive re-sits and should end up with A,C.C,C.

He was never pushed enough by his slightly apathetic teachers. However in his A2 year if he studies and revises more systematically, he has the chance to recover these grades which he feels are rather poor and may well end up with: A2 grades, A, B, B, (and one A/S grade C).

In a good British state school, as a straight A student at 16 he would not have slipped down the ladder as he has been allowed to do here on the CDS.

At 18 he will be able to enter a Spanish uni (With just 2 A levels, I think.) at a low cost (700-1,200€ pa) and he will be encouraged to do one year of his course in another country.

We also have a 25 year old “girl” on the Spanish/ Chilean side of our family. Based in Malaga city, she qualified thru the state system for Spanish uni and went to Almeria to study “Agricultura”. She got a grant to do her third year in Italy and may go on to do her Masters in France and then finally work there where Agricultural Scientists are well paid.

I hope that this information helps some readers, in an area where help and information have to be fought for.

If you have a 16 to 18 year old who wants to do higher Ed. Good Luck!

Like 0      
20 Sep 2007 6:12 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Laury

Like 0      
20 Sep 2007 6:18 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Thanks for that. My daughter is 17 in november, son 16 next year. Both started spanish school 12 years ago when we came here.

At the same age as yours I placed them both into private school, but not the international ones as personally for many reasons I dont have a high opinion of them. I wasnt paying a huge amount although enough to notice it! and it was a spanish private school.

My daughter thrived and is now studying baccelerato (I can NEVER pronounce or spell it correctly) in the sciences which enables her to go to uni - she wants to go to Grandada as the science courses are apparently the best in Spain. I have no idea of price and so am grateful for the info.

Son - still in private spanish school is not sure what to do but does want to go into further ed.

Daughter by the way (and both speak fluent english/spanish) took a cambridge english exam which entitled her as a native english person to attend unis in the Uk as well if she wants to so a full choice and the best choice I have heard of by parents as usually its one country or the other.

She was asked if she preferred to study in the UK. Her answer? Why Mum - Im Spanish! I think some of the banks give grants as well, so I going to check this out - any ideas where to start?

Thanks

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Sep 2007 7:12 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Are they aiming to be golf professionals?

Confused.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Goodfellas Playa Flamenca - 3 posts
INSPECTION TRIP FEEDBACK SOUGHT FOR ARTICLE PLEASE - 8 posts
Advisable to appoint a lawyer when selling ? - 3 posts
SUMA payments - 7 posts
Lo Crispin - 5 posts
What is CDS ? - 2 posts
Restaurants in Totana, Murcia - 2 posts
PRE-FABRICATED POOLS - 0 posts
Great restaurant for a special birthday - 14 posts
Lawyers! - 8 posts
I'VE GIVEN UP SMOKING! - 88 posts
Indian in Almoradi - 0 posts
Santa Ana Jumilia - 4 posts
Land opposite Lidl's at Playa Flamenca - 12 posts
Coordinated Lifestyles / CU InSpain - 16 posts
Registering a car in Spain - 13 posts
Indoor swimming pools - 13 posts
Our tow bar is legal! - 13 posts
Why not to buy in spain - 2 posts
HABITACION LICENCE - 3 posts
New investestment in Murcia - 17 posts
Does anyone have any info on Palmeral Villas - 3 posts
helicopterios sanitarios - 8 posts
Spanish mortgages - 1 posts
Working in Spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x