Gringo Americans Seeking Advice (Por Favor)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jan 2016 2:28 PM by bhjoffe Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Howdy!

Unlike EU citizens, Americans with USA passports must meet very stringent Schengen Agreement criteria to be granted retirement visas in Spain. Among other requirements, one must document a MINIMUM annual retirement income of EUR 25,560 + EUR 6,390 for each additional family member.

I certainly do NOT receive retirement income of EUR 31,950 per year for the two of us ... nor do I know of many other "expats" (not to mention Spaniards!) who do.

Being granted a retirement visa is much easier, cheaper, and quicker in Portugal, France, Italy, and almost every other EU nation--except Spain.

If my spouse and I were to be granted a retirement visa in Portugal, would that qualify us as "EU citizens" entitled to stay longer than 90 days at a time in Spain ... or would Spain still deal with us based on our USA passports?

Thanks for your thoughts!

[By the way, we've owned a vacation bolt in Olvera, one of the lovely pueblos blancos, for a number of years ... and we've just purchased a somewhat larger property in Martos, right outside of Jaen, the provincial capital. We love Andalucia!]

This message was last edited by bhjoffe on 26/01/2016.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2016 2:56 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Becoming a resident of Portugal does not make you a Portuguese citizen.  You would still be a US citizen not a citizen of an EU country.

The right to remain in Spain for more than 90 days without any further administrative authorization, like for example a resident permit (residencia) is only granted to citizens of an EU country not to non-EU citizens that reside in an EU country.

For Spanish purposes, you would still be a US citizen.

Like 0      
26 Jan 2016 3:04 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear

Howdy!

Unlike EU citizens, Americans with USA passports must meet very stringent Schengen Agreement criteria to be granted retirement visas in Spain. Among other requirements, one must document a MINIMUM annual retirement income of EUR 25,560 + EUR 6,390 for each additional family member.

I certainly do NOT receive retirement income of EUR 31,950 per year for the two of us ... nor do I know of many other "expats" (not to mention Spaniards!) who do.

Being granted a retirement visa is much easier, cheaper, and quicker in Portugal, France, Italy, and almost every other EU nation--except Spain.

If my spouse and I were to be granted a retirement visa in Portugal, would that qualify us as "EU citizens" entitled to stay longer than 90 days at a time in Spain ... or would Spain still deal with us based on our USA passports?

As soon as you become e EU resident you enjoy all rights of movement and residency. I am attaching a leaflet which will be useful for you:

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/policies/citizenship/docs/guide_free_movement_low.pdf

Thanks for your thoughts!

[By the way, we've owned a vacation bolt in Olvera, one of the lovely pueblos blancos, for a number of years ... and we've just purchased a somewhat larger property in Martos, right outside of Jaen, the provincial capital. We love Andalucia!] Olvera is lovely"

saferent

takelegal

wemovetospain

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 26/01/2016.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 27/01/2016.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Sam Brooks - 10 posts
Gas water heater - 3 posts
Long Term Car Rentals - 3 posts
Brittany Ferries Discount Codes - 2 posts
Banking - 2 posts
From Essex to Espana.. - 2 posts
compressed double mattress?? furniture delivery advice? - 1 posts
SPANISH REGISTERED LEFT HAND DRIVE CAR FOR SALE IN ENGLAND, TOYOTA COROLLA. - 0 posts
Retired landlords living in Spain who derive an income from buy-to-lets in the UK - 12 posts
Buying a new car in Murcia - 18 posts
Bank Drafts and selling up - 8 posts
Driving a Spanish reg car in France on a uk lic - 4 posts
Sky.eu? Satellite or IPTV - 5 posts
Jonty's back - 2 posts
pay as you go electricity - 1 posts
can I chase the dream - 61 posts
Freesat TV - 1 posts
New owners at La Torre Golf Hotel - 0 posts
Spanish property deeds. - 4 posts
"How many immigrants has Spain excepted ?? - 42 posts
Sunday Lunch in Marbella - 1 posts
Unpaid Community fees - 85 posts
Buses from la linea to sabinillas - 9 posts
Registering births in Spain - 3 posts
Leaving employment for cross-frontier worker in Gibraltar - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x