Registering births in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Jan 2016 9:07 PM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

I have a few questions regarding registering births in Spain, and it would be great to know your experiences.

1) If the couple is unmarried, and one of them is Spanish (the mother), what documents need to be presented?

2) If the birth cannot be registered within the (quite frankly ridiculous) 8-day deadline, what reasons are accepted in order to get the 30-day extension?

3) I believe the law changed recently to allow babies to be registered directly in hospitals. Can this also be done in private hospitals (I've heard there are exceptions)?

Thanks

Like 0      
13 Jan 2016 2:43 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Answers below in bold green ( same text as your message)

I have a few questions regarding registering births in Spain, and it would be great to know your experiences.

1) If the couple is unmarried, and one of them is Spanish (the mother), what documents need to be presented? Identity cards of both of you. If you are unmarried, you both need to go personally to the Civil Registry with Certificate of birth by Hospital, ID cards and prove os civil status of the mother. If previously married and divorced, this needs to be proved.

2) If the birth cannot be registered within the (quite frankly ridiculous) 8-day deadline, what reasons are accepted in order to get the 30-day extension? Any reasonable cause ( illness or fulfilling on any obligation whatsoever are accepted) if it is not, there is still, of course a possibility through an administrative formal request.

3) I believe the law changed recently to allow babies to be registered directly in hospitals. Can this also be done in private hospitals (I've heard there are exceptions)?Private  Hospitals are also under this Law and  need to make this possible as soon as possible. Deadline there is 72 hours post birth.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
13 Jan 2016 2:46 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

This is a quite comprehensive and useful guide:

http://www.tramitesnacimiento.com/

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 14/01/2016.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
14 Jan 2016 8:08 PM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

Thank you so much Maria.

Is it only the civil status of the mother which needs to be proved, or does the father's civil status need to be proved too? If so, would a translated copy of the Decree Absolute (sentencia firme) be enough?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Leaving employment for cross-frontier worker in Gibraltar - 2 posts
Hello from Valencia - 1 posts
Rental problems. Help! - 13 posts
Starting out on our Spanish adventure! - 4 posts
Hydralia Incompetence and Town Hall Negligence - 9 posts
New in spain - 9 posts
Blinds - 2 posts
Euro Poll - 3 posts
Chalk paint - 0 posts
Happy New Year To Maria de Castro and Emilio Lucas - 1 posts
CCTV Murcia - 10 posts
7 SEATER CAR FOR HIRE - 5 posts
How do you arrange a pet passport from Spain to the UK - 13 posts
Exploring Spain in April, May, June... - 4 posts
Old Cadiz - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - Mobile Phone Advice - 10 posts
New Here - 5 posts
Massive Pig Farm for Camposol . present from the Town Hall - 51 posts
Spanish Road Tax On New Cars - 7 posts
Need help and info about getting a spanish car and driving to southern spain - 0 posts
How do i renew a spanish passport? - 6 posts
Swimming Pool Rules - 7 posts
looking for long term rental - 9 posts
Hello all - 1 posts
For the love of helpless animals!!!!!! - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x