Rental problems. Help!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Jan 2016 1:25 PM by Harwood333 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I have been renting a property for 7 weeks.   I paid a 750E deposit and one months rent. I then on 14 Dececmber paid the second months rent. Shortly after the house began to smell of damp and black mould appeared.  Its now on every ceiling, and the walls too in both my and my daughters bedroom.  The landlord has said there has never been a damp problem and its down to me because I have too many hot showers and dont open the windows enough.  I had only been in the property 5 weeks when the mould first made an appearance.  We work 12 hours a day so are really not at home that much.  Anyway, due to their hostile response and the obvioius damp problem I have said I am leaving the property.  I have said they can keep the deposit in leiu of the rent due on 14 January and that I will endeavout to be gone by the end of this month.  I have said any outstanding bills will be met.   They have today said that if I am not paying the rent then I must leave the property by midnight on 13th January or I will be immediately evicted and I also will not be receiving my deposit.  Surely this cant be allowed.  I am not intending to stay in the property rent free but I know that if I pay the rent on 14th I will lose my deposit and I thinks its most unfair considering their property has a damp and mould problem which was not disclosed.  any advice please?

Like 0      
11 Jan 2016 1:52 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

You can not be lawfully evicted immediately after the 13th, if you are unlawfully evicted they are in big trouble. The process of evicting tenants has got a lot quicker in recent years but will still take a couple of months.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2016 2:34 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

I wouldnt worry it will take up to two years to evict you so just relax change the locks in case he pops around most propertys in Spain are mouldy I have found ours is covered in the damn stuff we know some people up in Camposol who midnight flit as soon as the electric goes they just go to another place no body does any background checks in Spain its great really you can live on 3 euros a day around here 

Love Hugh

Like 2      
11 Jan 2016 2:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I wouldn't worry it will take up to two years to evict you

I have a Spanish acquaintance who lets some properties.  When he has problems he goes to the property when the tenants are out, packs all their stuff in cases, changes the locks and then sits outside with the cases until the tenants return. He then tells them he has evicted them.  Yes he knows it’s illegal but on the odd occasion a tenant has complained he has been fined 30/40 euros, but the tenants are still evicted.

The first time he had problems he  tried to do it legally. Cost him a lot in fees and the tenants were allowed to stay for several months and when they did leave they either stole or damaged the furniture, fittings etc.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2016 3:17 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Harwood:

Did you submit the tenancy to arbitration or to Courts?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
11 Jan 2016 4:51 PM by Harwood333 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

No i just sent them photos of the damp and mould last week and said I would be leaving. That the rent due on 14 Jan would be paid by the deposit they have and that i would endeavour to leave by end of January. Then they said i must be out by 13th of January if I am not paying the rent. 

Like 0      
11 Jan 2016 6:03 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I can understand your dilemma but you simply cannot state that the deposit will cover the last month’s rent!

You must give the appropriate notice that is required under the rental contract and pay the rent due to that point.

You will then receive your deposit back if there are no outstanding bills or damage etc.

You may have cause for a dispute with the landlord and you departure but that does not give you the legal contractual right to simply walk away (assuming you have a contract).

You may have a claim and you can fight it in the courts.

Yes you can effectively squat and change the locks and fight the landlord all the way but why anyone would do that is beyond me especially as you soudn like a decent chap

However, in the world of reality the fact you have threatened to leave and surrender your deposit in settlement and the landlord has accepted that on the understanding that you leave by a certain date then walk away on the 13th Jan and move into a hotel until you find something else.

Like 0      
11 Jan 2016 7:22 PM by Harwood333 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I wont get my deposit back and I cant afford to stay in a hotel. Why should I be out of pocket because they didnt disclose that the house was damp? Im not going to stay there without paying rent or trash it but I dont expect to be evicted withing a week of not paying. They have the deposit. Ive only been there 7 weeks!

Like 0      
11 Jan 2016 10:01 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Perhaps you ought to hint to your landlord that if he is not reasonable, his already damp and squalid property might, regrettably, become a great deal damper and more squalid by the time he forces you out. 

Like 1      
12 Jan 2016 8:59 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

What does your contract say

You may have caused the damp

There  may be a problem with the property

Nothing is clear

You are in the wrong as much as the landlord 2 sides to every story

Clean the damp paint the walls whatever but you cannot assume a deposit will cover the last months rent it is NOT rent so you are in the wrong 

Sorry to sound harsh but it will get messy and end up costing you more

There are plenty of short term holiday let's around rather than hotels

Like 0      
12 Jan 2016 10:36 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Unfortunately damp is a chronic problem found in many if not the majority of Spanish homes, especially at this time of the year. Unless caused by a defect, ingress of water or a leak it is caused by poor ventilation and insulation, it's a problem that needs to be managed by many.

If you get up in the morning, shower and then leave it unventilated all day and then return, cook, put the heating on and maybe shower again you are asking for problems really. If you like the property why not give it another go. treat the damp patches with neat bleach, you will be surpised how easy you can remove the spores, 

Going forward, keep the house ventilated at all times, we have rejars at the windows so it's easy to leave many of  them ajar 24/7. If you are not working at the weekends, open the house up and give it a good blow through, keep an eye out for damp spores and if you spot one treat with bleach immediately.

If you do decide to move on,unless you ventilate the home you may well end up with the same problem 

Like 1      
12 Jan 2016 12:07 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
12 Jan 2016 7:56 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

When you shower always leave the window open during and after/don't dry clothes or wet towels within the house/Open every window and ventilate the house  for at least one hour every day /when you are sleeping a adult can expel up to a half a ltr .of water that's why your bedroom window is always dripping with condensation in the morning I am a landlord myself and every case of dampness I have looked at has been down to the Tennant's not opening windows to ventilate because its cold outside and trying to keep the heat in this stupidity it has the opposite affect the condensation on the wall has to evaporate first this will cool the property down for instance when you get out of a swimming pool you're body will cool down rapidly when the water evaporates of the body so open up them windows.

L

Like 1      
13 Jan 2016 8:54 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

The comments re necessary ventillation are quite right, but it's also essential to heat the property fully whilst you are living in it. 

Colder air cannot "hold" moisture as well as warm air, so it becomes deposited on the avaiable surfaces - the windows and walls.  If water stays on these places for a while it becomes mouldy.

A property that is well ventilated and heated will not have mould - unless there is a flaw in the building.  But 99% of the time it's the occupant that causes the mould, not a defect in the building.

Harwood333 you say that you work long long hours and possibly you opt not to heat the premises whilst you are away.  I suggest that for this time of year you need to have a dehumidifier which can help and is relatively cheap to run, but you will still need good planning and some heat and lots of ventilation to cope with all the water producing activities - showering, cooking, boiling a kettle and breathing! 

This message was last edited by acer on 13/01/2016.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Starting out on our Spanish adventure! - 4 posts
Hydralia Incompetence and Town Hall Negligence - 9 posts
New in spain - 9 posts
Blinds - 2 posts
Euro Poll - 3 posts
Chalk paint - 0 posts
Happy New Year To Maria de Castro and Emilio Lucas - 1 posts
CCTV Murcia - 10 posts
7 SEATER CAR FOR HIRE - 5 posts
How do you arrange a pet passport from Spain to the UK - 13 posts
Exploring Spain in April, May, June... - 4 posts
Old Cadiz - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - Mobile Phone Advice - 10 posts
New Here - 5 posts
Massive Pig Farm for Camposol . present from the Town Hall - 51 posts
Spanish Road Tax On New Cars - 7 posts
Need help and info about getting a spanish car and driving to southern spain - 0 posts
How do i renew a spanish passport? - 6 posts
Swimming Pool Rules - 7 posts
looking for long term rental - 9 posts
Hello all - 1 posts
For the love of helpless animals!!!!!! - 2 posts
Does anyone need their car driven to Spain from the UK? - 6 posts
terrazas de la torre - 1 posts
Lounge and bedroom furniture required - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x