New in spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jan 2016 1:48 PM by Dian Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi I am moving to Spain (Heuscar) from 1st April and have ploughed through various forums trying to find information regarding mobile phone and mobile internet services.

I am with Vodafone in Ireland and I have an internet dongle connection for which I pay €15 a month.  Can anyone help me to avoid the horrendous problems I read about Spanish mobile phone and internet providers?

Many thanks - Dian

Like 0      
10 Jan 2016 2:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Did you mean Huesca, Granada,   Spain  ?

I had never heard of it and I think you will be very lucky to find anyone on here who knows about that area.  But then 2 people won the UK lottery yesterday, they were lucky  !

This message was last edited by johnzx on 10/01/2016.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2016 2:43 PM by Dian Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Yes it is Heuscar, Granada.  I know it's remote but that's the attraction.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2016 2:55 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry Heuscar   or Heusca

Like 0      
10 Jan 2016 2:56 PM by Dian Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Huescar - Granada.

Like 0      
10 Jan 2016 4:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I am moving to Spain (Heuscar )   

Sorry I was confused with spelling of Huéscar

Like 0      
10 Jan 2016 4:23 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx

a bit pedanticwink

Huéscar (hint Granada) as OP said Yes it is Heuscar, Granada.  I know it's remote but that's the attraction.

OK you added the  tilde (accent) - well donesmiley

Huesca is in NE Spain (Aragon) - google is greatwink

not Granada as you hinted at (Did you mean Huesca, Granada,   Spain  ?)

Dian - apologies I do not know the area but i am sure all will be fine this link may help

http://www.andalucia.com/province/granada/huescar/home.htm

Good luck

Like 0      
10 Jan 2016 5:02 PM by Dian Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi

Thanks for that - it was very interesting but did not inform me about either electricity charges or how to navigate the maze that appears to be the mobile phone networks in Spain.  If anyone can help me with this I would be very grateful.

Thanks. Dian

Like 0      
11 Jan 2016 10:23 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Dian

All across Spain

Did you click on the tab on the top right hand side of the page I gave the link to “internet & communication”?

Electricity charges I think you will find they are similar to the UK but will depend upon what type of heating / AC / pool etc. you have. I would budget around 100 – 150€ per month inclusive of all charges

As for mobile phone it is again no different to UK there are many providers Yiogo. Mas movil, Movistar, Vodafone, Orange, Carrefour, Telefonica etc. etc.

All do PAYG and contracts (you will not get “free phones” but sim free phones similar price to UK), you can of course bring your UK mobile and as long as it is unlocked just swap out the SIM card. They all offer packages for talk, text, broadband

Many packages available with satellite TV / broadband / dongles / home phone etc. (check out the local English press as many advertise)

Only advice is to shop around you will of course need ID and address (NIE and / or passport) etc. to get a mobile phone either PAYG or contract

My advice would be start with PAYG SIM (esily toped up at many shops) get your UK phone unlocked and see how you go

Like 0      
11 Jan 2016 2:15 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Yiogo, Movistar, Vodafone and Orange are the only companies with main licenses and infrustructure, all other phone companies will use that infrustructure. All the companies above have coverage maps on their websites (in Spanish} that will let you know the availability and strengh of 2. 3 and 4G networks in a particlular area.

Most expat nightmare stories that you refer to are when products are bought that don't preform as expected or when contracts are entered into without fully understanding what you are signing up to - as tadd says probably better to go PAYG to begin with.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Blinds - 2 posts
Euro Poll - 3 posts
Chalk paint - 0 posts
Happy New Year To Maria de Castro and Emilio Lucas - 1 posts
CCTV Murcia - 10 posts
7 SEATER CAR FOR HIRE - 5 posts
How do you arrange a pet passport from Spain to the UK - 13 posts
Exploring Spain in April, May, June... - 4 posts
Old Cadiz - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - Mobile Phone Advice - 10 posts
New Here - 5 posts
Massive Pig Farm for Camposol . present from the Town Hall - 51 posts
Spanish Road Tax On New Cars - 7 posts
Need help and info about getting a spanish car and driving to southern spain - 0 posts
How do i renew a spanish passport? - 6 posts
Swimming Pool Rules - 7 posts
looking for long term rental - 9 posts
Hello all - 1 posts
For the love of helpless animals!!!!!! - 2 posts
Does anyone need their car driven to Spain from the UK? - 6 posts
terrazas de la torre - 1 posts
Lounge and bedroom furniture required - 1 posts
Estate Agent Recommendations Duquesa Area Please - 4 posts
Filmon in Spain - 9 posts
interest only Mortgage coming to an end - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x