How do i renew a spanish passport?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Jan 2016 1:14 PM by gucci0julie Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

My mother is 77 this year, suffers from depression and loosing her memory. Her spanish passport has expired now and wishes to see her family as her sisters in spain as they are very ill too. Usually my dad would deal with all this but he passed in 2014 and i have no idea how to get her passport renewed. I have tried to get her a UK passport but its asking me for her parents details and she cant remember much, she was bought up from 3 years old in a convent 

thanks in advace 

Like 0      
03 Jan 2016 2:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Take care,   if a person has a Spanish passport they are forbidden by Spàin to also have a UK one (dual nationality) .  Only citizens from former Spanish colonies,  Columbia, Philippines etc are permitted to have dual nationality

If, as it appears,  you are in UK, call the Spanish Consulate

Address: 20 Draycott Pl, London SW3 2RZ

Phone:020 7589 8989

Hours:

Saturday 10:00 am – 12:00 pm

Sunday Closed

Monday 9:15 am – 2:00 pm

Tuesday 9:15 am – 2:00 pm

Wednesday 9:15 am – 2:00 pm

Thursday 9:15 am – 2:00 pm

Friday 9:15 am – 2:00 pm

This message was last edited by johnzx on 03/01/2016.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2016 4:21 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

johnzx

if a person has a Spanish passport they are forbidden by Spàin to also have a UK one (dual nationality) .

I do not think this is 100% correct see links.

http://www.dualcitizenship.com/free-consultation/spain.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_nationality_law

Both say (without reference to any exceptions for UK nationals)

Spain permits dual citizenship under limited circumstances. Spain permits dual citizenship for all Spanish citizens by origin, so long as their declare their will to retain the Spanish nationality within 3 years of acquiring another nationality. This requirement is waived for natural citizens of an Iberoamerican country, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Portugal, and any other country that Spain has a bilateral agreement with.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2016 5:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

03 Jan 2016 5:57 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

I don't see that it matters much, all gucci0julie'e ageing mother wants to do his see her equally ageing and ill family before it's too late.

If she is Spanish and in the UK call the Spanish Consulate as Johnzx has said. Here is the passport page.

Like 1      
04 Jan 2016 9:33 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Amendment for those who may have thought I was referring to Spaniards who acquired a second nationality:-   

Take care,   if a person has acquires a Spanish passport nationality (so not a Spaniard) they are forbidden by Spain to also have a UK one another (dual nationality) .  Only citizens from former Spanish colonies,  Columbia, Philippines etc are permitted to have dual nationality

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_nationality_law

On the other hand, foreign nationals that acquire Spanish nationality lose their previous nationality, unless they were natural born citizens of an Iberoamerican country, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Portugal.

http://www.dualcitizenship.com/free-consultation/spain.html

For those seeking to acquire Spanish citizenship as their second citizenship, whether or not the person can retain dual citizenship depends on the county in which they hold their original citizenship. For example, if a U.S. citizen acquires Spanish citizenship, Spain requires the person to renounce U.S. citizenship, but this is usually insufficient for the American to lose U.S. citizenship. In this scenario, Spain will view the person as solely a Spanish citizen, whereas the U.S. will still treat the individual as an American citizen. Practically, the individual will hold U.S. and Spanish dual citizenship.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 04/01/2016.

Like 0      
22 Jan 2016 11:10 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Best way to get guidance, as TeamGB said is the Spanish Consulate in the UK

Passports

María

You can find  here on our inmigration services 

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 22/01/2016.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Swimming Pool Rules - 7 posts
looking for long term rental - 9 posts
Hello all - 1 posts
For the love of helpless animals!!!!!! - 2 posts
Does anyone need their car driven to Spain from the UK? - 6 posts
terrazas de la torre - 1 posts
Lounge and bedroom furniture required - 1 posts
Estate Agent Recommendations Duquesa Area Please - 4 posts
Filmon in Spain - 9 posts
interest only Mortgage coming to an end - 6 posts
PALM TREE REMOVAL - 6 posts
NEW! Spain Supreme Court clear speaking on Banks liabilities - 7 posts
Minister Cruise Line Vacancies - 6 posts
Electric bills from landlord not correct - 10 posts
Yellow flame - 3 posts
Merry Christmas all! - 2 posts
Great news for La Torre Golf Resort - 4 posts
Spain statute of limitation criminal cases - 3 posts
Feliz Navidad para EOS members, staff and affiliated companies! - 0 posts
dentures - 0 posts
PET/HOUSE SITTING + - 0 posts
How can you tell.......... - 1 posts
Hello Guys - 0 posts
If you commit a driving offence abroad, whether civil or criminal, will the penalty follow you home? - 0 posts
Book "Hamster" - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x