SPANISH TRAFFIC POLICE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Dec 2015 12:07 AM by MFraser Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

We are driving to Santander this coming Sunday to take the ferry back to the UK and, after speaking with a friend of ours yesterday, we are really worried about the drive.  He told us about the time he was driving his UK registered camper van to the Santander ferry and, whilst overtaking a slow farm vehicle alolng the way, he and the farm vehicle were immediately overtaken together by a couple of much faster cars (he believed them to be Spanish registered).  All three vehicles, including his own, got past safely and he thought nothing of it until he was stopped round the next bend by a couple of Spanish traffic Police.  They told him he must pay a fine as he was seen overtaking by crossing a continuous white line ie; not to be crossed.  He couldn't understand their attitude as he knew there was no white line. (He is a very safe driver...aslo not the type of guy to exaggerate). The Police wouldn't listen to him and, as he protested his innocence and asked why they hadn't stopped the other two cars, they moved their hands to their guns in a threatening manner which he read as 'Pay up or else'.  He had very little money on him, so they took him to a cash machine where he had to use his Credit Card to pay them a substantial sum.  This all happened a few years ago but we didn't know about it until yesterday when we visited our friend whom we haven't seen for some time.  Perhaps things are very different now but we are left wondering what on earth we could do if that happened to us?  Is there any way we can get out of an unwarranted fine?  Can the Spanish Police do what they like?  Any advice at all would be very welcome. I said, 'I would have asked them to show me the white lines they were talking about,' but our friend said I wouldn't if I had felt as intimidated as he was made to feel. 

This message was last edited by MFraser on 10/12/2015.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2015 12:32 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

We've driven to Santander and Bilbao and back several times to and from the ferry. We've never been stopped and only very rarely seen any police presence. I think this is a very exagerrated story.

Like 1      
10 Dec 2015 8:58 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I am very sorry Fraser,  but I simply do not believe your friend's account. The police have no need to make up ofences as there are so many being committed that if they wanted to issue a ticket they would have not problem finding a culprit.  I suspect your friend was either mistaken or like most people who get a ticket, exaggerated the story.  Almost no one admits to being guilty.   If there was no solid line then that could have been easily demonstrated by walking back to the location.

In over 25 years living in Spain, and more years driving cars and motorcycles here,  I think I have only ever been stopped once. The Guardia Officer said I had been checked speeding, 105 kph,  by a radar gun operated by his colleague back around a bend. When I politely said I had not.  He said,  'One minute' and on his radio he called the officer with the radar gun, who when he arrived , said they had stopped the wrong car.  The officer apologised, saluted and I went on my way.

I had been aware of the car which was speeding, a Gib Reg car being driven like a bat of hell, had overtaken me just after a solid line, having waited until the end of the line to do so. That car had passed the second officer before he got the radio message from the first offcer., so got away with it.

When I later checked the place where the officer with the radar had been,  I found it was a 40 kph zone.  I had believed it was a 60 kph, which what I told the officer I was doing when he stopped me.  So despite the fact that I had admitted doing 60 in a 40 zone, he still did not issue a ticket.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 10/12/2015.

Like 1      
10 Dec 2015 9:36 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

MFraser, strange that you mentioned the farm vehicle, is it some kind of law that states don't overtake these vehicles, because my son was driving through France one year and got stuck behind a slow moving tractor in a long line of other cars, he pulled out to overtake when it was safe and out of no where came two cops on bikes who stopped him for what they said was overtaking this farm vehicle, short of it was my son for other reasons got away with it, but seems strange that a farm vehicle is mentioned and cops.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2015 2:35 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Your not suggesting there is some collusion between farmers and the police are you baz laugh

Like 0      
10 Dec 2015 3:00 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Have no idea as I dont know any French farmers or French cops.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2015 5:07 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Sorry but I just have to share this, especially as johnzx so rightly points out about those driving illegaly here.

There was letter in the CostaBlancaPeople from someone called Peter who had written to the police on the N332 site complaining about receiving two fines. The first fine was for not having an ITV. He was miffed because he had been to UK and got the car (Spanish reg) MOT'd there and the garage assured him it would be OK in Spain.

The second one was for having a UK registration plate on the front of his car and a Spanish registration plate on the rear of the car.

For the life of him, Peter couldn't see anything wrong with either of these things.

Like 0      
10 Dec 2015 5:33 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

In all my time in Spain I have never heard of anything similar, except during the Franco dictatorship. A policeman moving his hands to his gun in a  threatening manner.....? I would say a huge exaggeration or a complete misinterpretation of the situation. Unbelievable. Or your friend was acting in an agressive manner... which I am sure he wasn't, so it makes no sense....

Everyone should feel free to drive the roads of Spain, the police will normally only stop you if you have broken the law and now there are many ways to pay a fine : credit card, internet , bank transfer etc.  There is no need to go to a  cash machine!  

These sort of stories worry me as they give a very false impression of Spain. Like Johnzx, I just don't believe your friend's account.

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 1      
11 Dec 2015 6:57 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

If there is any truth in this (whivh i doubt) your friend was done by fake police and robbed.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 9:48 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

If...IF...The payment of cash (How ever large) handed over to these cops was the result of the person crossing the white line due to the offence committed shouldn't this have also resulted in some sort of points on the driving licence? Or don't it work like this is Spain?

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 10:09 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

If this was a returning tourist there is currently no mechanism to add points (you deduct points with a Spanish DL)

A Guardia Civil Traffico officer is still authorised to take cash at the road side - although this is the only divison/rank that are authorised to do this

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 11:54 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

A Guardia Civil Traffico officer is still authorised to take cash at the road side -

Quote 'from another place' 

As a tourist or holidaymaker you will be asked to pay the fine on the spot. If you do not have the cash with you a traffic officer will accompany you to a cash point to withdraw the money, otherwise a friend or family member can bring themoney to you.

If you do not pay the fine your car will be impounded until you have the funds to do so, at which point you will also have to pay the removal and impound costs.

If you disagree with the officers decision then you can appeal the fine, if the appeal is granted, the money will be returned to you.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 11/12/2015.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 1:31 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

teamGB

A Guardia Civil Traffico officer is still authorised to take cash at the road side

I though this practice was also stopped

Maybe johnzx can check with his contacts or mariadecastro can comment on the legality etc.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 1:46 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

We have driven the Santander to Costa Blanca route around 20 times in the last 7 year, never been stopped, never felt unsafe, so I wouldn't worry unduly MFraser.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 2:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Hi Tadd.  Short of popping down to the Guardia office I cannot say 100% as of this minute that on the spot fines still apply.   However I believe they still do.    

If they did not, how would a fine, imposed in Spain, be enforced if the driver is resident in say UK ?     Fines cannot be imposed across borders.

PS Trip Advisor,  on 8th December 2015,  said on their web page that spot fines exist.

Quote.   . Non-residents who are caught in a driving infraction by the Guardia Civil may have to pay the fine immediately. The authorities are afraid that these people may not pay, so they want their money up front.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 2:14 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Tadd :I though this practice was also stopped

No, this is why i bought it up.

The point I was making and thought had made was You can only get fined at the road side by a Guardia Civil Traffic Officer

Policia Local can't do it

Policia National can't do it

Guardis Civil can't do it

Only a officer from Guardia Civil Traffico can fine you at the road side.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 2:34 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

There is some very useful info here:-  www.n332.es 

(or short cut at https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/tramites-y-multas/alguna-multa-en/ )

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 5:38 PM by MFraser Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Many thanks to everyone that replied to my request for advice, particularly johnzx...I was hoping you'd contribute. We now feel more relaxed about the drive to Santander.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 8:08 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

"If they did not, how would a fine, imposed in Spain, be enforced if the driver is resident in say UK ? Fines cannot be imposed across borders."

So I could have ignored the speeding ticket I got in the UK from the camera at Lorca tunnel then?

Mark

Like 0      
11 Dec 2015 9:08 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

@johnzx

If they did not, how would a fine, imposed in Spain, be enforced if the driver is resident in say UK ?     Fines cannot be imposed across borders.

They will be from 2017. There is already a cross border agreement in place which allows countries to pursue fines between countries. UK, Ireland and Denmark opted out of the agreement but will comply come 2017.

"If we're still in the EU then or they agree to it despite not being in the EU"

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CostaLuz Lawyers are the slowest Property Conveyancers in the country - 0 posts
TVaway IPTV - 6 posts
Xmas day lunch? Any recommendations in Malaga Centre or Benalmadena or surrounding area? - 2 posts
Spanish banks not issuing bank guarantees - Fortuna Golf development - 6 posts
Legal protection for communities - 12 posts
Must vote be taken annually on appointment of administrator. - 5 posts
Wanted A4 Wall mounted displays - 0 posts
Internet - 1 posts
Fortuna Golf Deposit Return - 11 posts
Fortuna Golf - 2 posts
Anyone got a Solmar contract handy please? - 1 posts
Act on Disabled perons and social inclusion in Spain - 0 posts
Renewing DL in Spain - 7 posts
rental - 6 posts
Employment - 3 posts
car hire in alicante airport - 29 posts
Obtaining a licence in Andalusia (Granada) - 1 posts
apple tv in Spain - 4 posts
Animal Lovers problem in Costa Blanca reference cats!!!!! - 5 posts
car hire in santa pola - 0 posts
HEALTH INSURANCE - 3 posts
What is the best place to immigrate to? - 20 posts
A question for Maria re LEY 57/1968 General Guarantee to ensure the repayment of amounts paid on account – SUPREME COURT RULING - 25 posts
BOLORENT Oliva - 0 posts
Ali Oli - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x