What is the best place to immigrate to?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Nov 2015 10:15 AM by jennylucas205 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

What is the best place to immigrate to? I want to get a job before I go anywhere because I've heard bad stories about people immigrating to other countries and worked terrible jobs or were unemployed for months. 

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 10:53 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

To emigrate to another country for work the first criteria should be the economic conditions and prospects that country enjoys.

The other crucial condition is being able to speak the language and have sufficient reconisable qualifications and education that will get you a head start in the employment market.

The problem is at the moment so many well qualified young people are moving around the globe doing the same thing and competing for decent opportunities.

That is not said to discourage you but the horror stories to which you refer are usually endured by those without the necessary skills to obtain a decent job and end uop having to take anything simply to survive.

All that said the USA, UK and Australia in the English speaking world would be my choice. Germany is also a place for opportunity but with the current migrant crisis you will need good German to stand out.

Where ever you choose in my experience sustained hard work usually can overcome most obstacles. Good luck.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 11:36 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

Without any dout the U.K.

Like 1      
28 Nov 2015 12:04 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

My vote is the UK. I'm currently working in the UK employed by a Swiss Phara and working with the excellent talent available here in Oxford. We have only been here a year or so but found the move easy and how well the UK is set up for the digital age. There is such a shortage of well qualified researchers and the UK uni system is great at turning them out albeit most I work with would be classed as overseas students. There are so many investment opportunities and the tax system works well for us as I'm a non EU citizen although my wife is from Italy and now works as a Doctor here in Oxford.

We are thinking this is probably the place we end up staying having spent the previous 30-years working in France with a recent year exploring Spain and Portugal looking for a future home.

Rossetti

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 12:12 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

This is verging on a "how long is a pice of string" question - it depends totally on what individual is looking for!

Windtaker - you say "UK" which is probably a good call if you're a young Syrian, Iraqi, Afghan, particularly with a young family.  But not my choice.  I like parts of England, but no so sure about the other bits, particularly Scotland where is decidedly cooler (not just the climate either).

Of course a major factor is whether or not you want or need to work, in fairness the UK is probably good on that score. 

Another is your age.  When you're a bit older you don't won't to be too adventurous.  I love the Far East and had the option of working in Singapore many years ago which would have been a fabulous experience, but now I guess sowhere more staid.  A half way house might be the UAE where you need to have the right connections, but is a fabulous environment and lifestyle if you've got some money.

Europe?  Within my shortlist would be Amsterdam - always liked the Dutch and it's a fun, liberal city.  In Spain I love Valencia - seems a lot more civilised than Madrid & Barcelona.  But it all very much depends on what floats your boat.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 12:45 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

I assume that Jenny is living in the UK and wants to live and work elsewhere. Most of Europe is a bit of no go area for jobs at the moment, unless you have skills that are in demand and speak the language fluently. Even then, they probably have enough of their own nationals to do the jobs available. The US and Australia have strict rules for immigrants and will not give a visa unless they need the occupation offered and do not have enough of their own nationals to do the job. It's not really a question of "where do I fancy living" anymore. As others have pointed out, do plenty of research into the job and housing situation in any country. There is no "best place", it depends on personal circumstance.

Like 1      
28 Nov 2015 1:39 PM by jeffreyanovero Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Canada has a good economy and there are shortages of various professions in numerous parts of the country. You can check which professions in Canada have the best chances of getting a job on sites like jobsaloon com.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2015 3:07 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Jenny

What type of work are you looking for and what are your skills / qualifications etc?

Like 1      
12 Jan 2016 2:58 PM by SvZanda Star rating in Valencia, Spain. 3 posts Send private message

SvZanda´s avatar

Hi,

Have you thought about sunny Valencia in Spain? :)

Like 0      
13 Jan 2016 2:46 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Cadiz province, Spain, of course!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
13 Jan 2016 3:19 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

Cadiz? Really? With unemployment at over 40%?  I love Cadiz but it has to be one of the worst places in Spain to move to if you need to work.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 1      
14 Jan 2016 1:53 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Many opportunities in Cadiz. Specially in tourism!

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
16 Nov 2016 1:13 PM by honeywater Star rating. 68 posts Send private message

Check out Panama, in Central America, if you don't mind moving to another continent. The economy is booming and you'll find a variaty of landscapes (beauiful isles, scenicvalleys and mountains, cosmopolitan capital city) and climates within relatively short distances. 

Like 0      
16 Nov 2016 3:38 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

What a DUM question thats like asking whats the best COLOUR in the Rainbow 

Look add SOME MORE MEAT ON THE BONE then I will give you my EXPERT OPINION

Love Hugh xx

Like 2      
16 Nov 2016 6:46 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Anywhere in the EUSSR is fine. You get freedom of movement, loads of different nationalities ready to help themselves to your money, (and give you a bit back to spend it how they tell you to) and best of all, loads of overpaid bureaucrats telling you what to do. Utopia.

Like 2      
16 Nov 2016 8:39 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Now you're just getting boring and obsessive.

Like 3      
21 Apr 2018 5:04 PM by jonnysnow Star rating in Now I moved to USA.. 6 posts Send private message

I think Valencia is the best!!!

Like 0      
21 Apr 2018 7:01 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you do come across the best place in the world to immegrate to....what SKILLS do you have to offer them.

This message was last edited by windtalker on 22/04/2018.

Like 1      
22 Apr 2018 7:23 PM by Rossetti Star rating in Oxford and Zurich. 124 posts Send private message

Back in 2015 I thought the UK would be good. I still think that's an option for a lot of people still many jobs available in Engineering Science and Medicine. For those who have retired Spain still seems a good option.

For me I'm now leaving the UK in October for retirement in the Sierra Nevada California.

Rossetti

Like 0      
23 Apr 2018 9:09 AM by briando55 Star rating in Yorkshire. 1982 posts Send private message

I think Jenny has found somewhere and not told us!   Perhaps she or he didn’t get the argument going they wanted to and gave up?

Best wishes, Brian

Like 1      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A question for Maria re LEY 57/1968 General Guarantee to ensure the repayment of amounts paid on account – SUPREME COURT RULING - 25 posts
BOLORENT Oliva - 0 posts
Ali Oli - 0 posts
UK Registered Motorhome For Sale - 0 posts
refund of deposit - 21 posts
UK EEC Referendum - 30 posts
Driving car in Spain with UK road tax. - 16 posts
Sold our Spanish Holiday Home.. no regrets - 26 posts
Endesa Smartphone App - 0 posts
Lawyers fees for taxes - 3 posts
Autonomo Question - 6 posts
Going up - or Down? - 35 posts
¿ Any Househunters in Murcia w/c 30th November 2015 ? - 0 posts
Case Won - 3 posts
HEALTH INSURANCE - 5 posts
IBI on static caravans - 5 posts
Back dated refuse collection taxes from La Linea - 2 posts
Moving to Denia - 7 posts
Electricty use - 20 posts
Moving House with a lot of pot plants - 0 posts
Cleaning Contract UK - 1 posts
Fibre Optic Suppliers in Spain - 5 posts
Goose - 4 posts
Looking for a perfect school! - 9 posts
International Black and White Association - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 21

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x