Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Nov 2015 5:21 PM by dunny Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Anyone know good insurance company who are not ripping you off 

thanks

Like 0      
12 Nov 2015 5:29 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

If you get three quotes and they are within 10% of each other you can be quite sure that's the going rate. I don't think you can go far wrong with Liberty Seguros

Like 1      
12 Nov 2015 6:20 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

What are you going to insure Dunny ?

Like 0      
12 Nov 2015 7:06 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Well John, the title of the thread is 'Car Insurance' I think that gives us a clue! smiley

Unless of course you meant make a model

Like 3      
12 Nov 2015 9:19 PM by Peeler Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Team GB, you must be a detective....

Like 2      
12 Nov 2015 9:32 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

How many posters actually stick to the title of a post ?

Point taken, I was in a hurry and wanted to give some useful advice if it was property insurance.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 9:01 AM by dunny Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies i have a hyundia 120 it is 5years old  only do 60000 kil a year !!

thanks

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 9:16 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

dunny,

That's over 37,000 miles a year, are you running a taxi business or did you just overdo the 0's?  wink

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 9:21 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Dunny, what have you been quoted then? It shouldn't more than 350€ fully comp or 250 ish third party I would of thought - assuming the car is Spanish registered.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 1:45 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Dunny - your comment "Anyone know good insurance company who are not ripping you off" is misplaced. 

I am not directly "in insurance", but for many years I had a frequent involvement with insurance claims, particularly seeking to resolve those which were large or contentious.  IMHO the insurance industry is highly professional and does not deserve the silly comments often made by those who don't know.

In my experience if there is any "ripping off" it is by the policy holders!  These include arson claims by the policyholder and and fake injury claims as well as the more mundane inflation of otherwise genuine claims that some claimants see as acceptable, but are in truth really ripping off the insurer.

The hackneyed phrase "small print" is another complete nonsense aimed at insurers without any substance.

Do please let me know if you have any meaningful reason to make such a seemingly facile comment.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 6:50 PM by dunny Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

yes well when you are quoted 460 euros and been with the same insurer for 10 years

i think a little discount would be much appreciated and i have never made a claim

thats what i call a rip off

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 7:01 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Yes dunny, that does sound a little expensive - Is that through a broker? 

Only adivse can be shop around, get more quotes. Remember though you normally have to give two months notice in Spain to cancel a insurance policy, so if your company or broker write and say the new premium is x 4 weeks before the renewal date you are pretty much snookered for the current renewal

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 7:39 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Dunny

As I am sure we all know one should keep an eye on the renewal quotes and look to changing one’s insurer every few years.

A couple of year ago I got my renewal notice from that ‘Direct company’.    I thought it was high so I called them for a quote.   I gave a false name but all the other details were correct.  I was quoted 20% less than the renewal cost I had received.

When I questioned the difference,  explaining  that I had given a false name,  they said I was being  dishonest !

Eventually they offered me renewal at the lower price.  Needless to say I did not renew with them.

Currently with maximum No Claims, I pay 350 euros, for full comp,  on a 2 years old (mine from new)  Seat Ibiza 1.2 turbo automatic, though a broker, with Liberty Insurance..

PS   I know that 'Direct company'  have a record of policyholders telephone numbers , so if you are inclined to do as I did, use a different  phone.

PPS   I can confirm the requirement to give 2 months notice to cancel.  If you pay by Direct Debit you may find you cannot cancel the payment if it has been collected.  I had that probelm with house insure, I am please that that broker has since gone bust.

Like 0      
13 Nov 2015 7:40 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Dunny,

Your comment about being "ripped off" means nothing in isolation - you give no details.

If you went to buy something and found it more than you wanted to pay would you still use this term?  Most people would simply go elsewhere.

Like 0      
22 Nov 2015 5:02 PM by degato34 Star rating in West Yorkshire (God'.... 35 posts Send private message

I've used Zurich for the past few years. Fully comp and less than €300.

Like 0      
23 Nov 2015 8:51 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Zurich are of course a major insurance group and over the years they took over lots of British insurers like dear old "Eagle Star" who in turn bought Midland, who insured my first motor bike.

Nothing heard from Dunny, to justify his comment.  When you buy personal insurance which is invariably over the phone the "Distance Selling" regulations become operative and so you are given a cooling off period during which time you can freely change your mind and receive a full refund.  This is EU legislation so presumably it's operative in Spain also.

But you really have to try extra specially hard to get "ripped off" wink !

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

mar de plata mazarron - 11 posts
Fire Stick - in Spain - 5 posts
Problems with form 210 (wealth tax) for tax due 2015 - 25 posts
How to do business with Spanish business owners/ companies? - 8 posts
50 Year Old House Inspections - 2 posts
Non-EU family members do not need visa to enter UK, says European court - 25 posts
REFERENDUM ON UK MEMBERSHIP OF THE EU - 8 posts
Speed camera at Lorca - 0 posts
Supplying info about crimes, tax evasion etc. - 9 posts
Importing LHD car - 14 posts
No gas mains - 2 posts
Benalmadena - 11 posts
Possible purchase at Hacienda del Alamo (HDA) - Dilemna - 6 posts
banking problems - 1 posts
Changes to State pension age for women - 24 posts
Hi - Newbie from Wales. - 5 posts
Christmas Day Lunch near Mijas Golf/MIjas Costa - 3 posts
Compatability of bereavement pensions from Uk and Spain - 0 posts
December driving from Santander to Murcia - 2 posts
Solicitors in Murcia/alicante - 14 posts
Call for greater regulation and reform - 0 posts
Do you have a car for sale? - 0 posts
Changing to interest only mortgage - 6 posts
EPC Company Recommendation Please - 2 posts
Estate Agent and Lawyer Recommendation Please - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x