Changing to interest only mortgage

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Oct 2015 8:20 AM by tracyh Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello there I am new to the forum.

I want to sell my house in Los Barrios but after having the house valued I find that we are still in negative equity.The estate agent suggested renting the property out for a couple of years then look again at selling. The rent will not cover the mortgage payments! Arghhhhh bangs head against wall!!! 

So....I am now considering going onto an interest only mortgage for a couple of years so that I can still rent the property out as suggested. Has anyone else done this? Is it a costly procedure and will I be hit with crazy repayment costs after the two years?

Many thanks in advance Tracy

body p

Like 0      
30 Oct 2015 9:09 AM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1230 posts Send private message

I can only talk for the UK, but the change to interest only would be far more cost effective with the existing lender, however brace yourself for a valuation fee along with admin and legal costs.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
30 Oct 2015 9:13 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

tracyh

I am not sure a bank will give you an interest only mortgage if you intend to rent your property out

Also not informing yoru bank of a rental could cause you bigger problems

Interest only in times of hardship is not costly, normally a set up fee - just remember the amount due will remain the same

Remember any income from house rental may be taxable income

Have you checked the rental market in your area - how many are up for rent, how long have they been up for rent, how many are empty etc.

Be very wary of estate agents and do your research

Sorry to be so negative but reality etc and it is not easy

I wish you good luck

Like 1      
30 Oct 2015 10:07 AM by tracyh Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info. To be honest I just can't see any other way out at the moment! The area the house is in is low on rental properties at the moment with proffesional people looking for properties. Sometimes I wish we had never moved to Spain!!! 

Like 0      
30 Oct 2015 10:11 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

tracyh

It is a horrible sitiuation to be in and sadly many others are in a similar

Only advise I can give is be honest with your bank and be careful many agenst say that about many areas do more research and talk to more agents

Like 0      
30 Oct 2015 10:27 AM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Do you have a Spanish mortgage or UK one on the house in Spain?

Like 0      
30 Oct 2015 1:24 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Tracyh:

Have you consider a dación en pago? It is an agreement with the Bank which is guided by Law and not depending on commercial value of the house

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

EPC Company Recommendation Please - 2 posts
Estate Agent and Lawyer Recommendation Please - 0 posts
Form 720 Declarations, Action by Hacienda - 8 posts
Viva Airport Transfers - 1 posts
Don't forget to check French and Portuguese airports if you live near them. - 0 posts
New Supreme Court Decission if developer went bust - 0 posts
Car For Sale - 1 posts
You couldnt make it up - 7 posts
Reporting crimes anonymously in Spain - 7 posts
Some advice on where to move to in Spain (tax avoidance and much more) - 27 posts
Genius Bar at Apple Marbella - 4 posts
Reporting Burglaries to the Police - 2 posts
Ceramic Exterior Floor Tiles - 1 posts
Long Term Rental Agreement - 1 posts
Pose a question with Maria de Castro - 2 posts
Nokia 6410i Mobile Phone - 6 posts
Galicia - BBC / Sky / Filmon / Europa Network Reception - Advice - 5 posts
Estate agent fees..legal issue - 23 posts
Los Canovas, Murcia - 7 posts
HEATING OIL - 8 posts
Which Canary Island in February? - 3 posts
Legal Company and Employees - 7 posts
Taking prescription injector pens into Spain - 0 posts
Taking prescription injector pens into Spain - 4 posts
Moving from Cyprus to Spain-Filipina wife. - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x