LOCAL RATES 2015 - PAYMENT ENFORCEMENT

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Oct 2015 11:53 AM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Morning all

I received an email from my solicitors (they are 'supposed' to deal with my finances for an annual fee) on Friday headed up:

LOCAL RATES 2015 - PAYMENT ENFORCEMENT

saying that my bill (which I've never received) has not been paid and saying there will be a 20% fine to pay in addition.

I'm annoyed on a few levels:

1)  I am never in debt and

2) I have an email from the Solicitors dated December 2014 saying that this direct debit (amongst others) had been set up !  The solicitors are saying

"It seems the direct debit has not been attended by your bank, therefore the tax office has initiated the subsequent enforcement procedure.

Please, note that the said amount includes a 20% surcharge for late payment. But, should the payment be made before the deadline which is the next 20th October it will be reduced by 10%."

So I've emailed both the solicitors and the Bank asking who is responsible for this error.  I've also now checked with my bank online and can see that there isn't a direct debit set up, (but then maybe it wouldn't show if it hasn't had a first payment?) so I'm thinking that it's the solicitors error and they're blaming the bank.  Either way I need to find out who is responsible and make them pay the fine !  If I find it really is the fault of the solicitors, which it is looking like, then I shall be asking for my annual fee back and dealing with the matter myself in future.

Do you normally receive a bill?

Does anyone have any suggestions on this please? 

Like 0      
12 Oct 2015 3:49 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Have you checked to see if the town hall even tried to get payment from your bank.  If not, then it maybe neither the bank nor your lawyer. Our town hall used to take a year to get the DD working.  Not sure of they have improved.

Like 1      
12 Oct 2015 4:05 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Thanks johnzx, no I haven't, I'm in the UK (and don't yet speak Spanish) and the first I knew of this was an email from the solicitor urging me to send them the money to pay it.  It's interesting what you say though, thanks for taking the time to respond :)

Like 0      
12 Oct 2015 5:11 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I pay the bills for my son so I have 2 apartments for him plus a separate garage space.  I have my apartment and a local (lock up garage) so I have to keep watch on all the various DD’s for all the taxes etc  for all of them.   I also pay my son and his wife’s  second home taxes so that’s another 5 returns.  It’s almost a full time job !    Occasionally the town hall, electric, water,  etc. foul up.

Like 1      
12 Oct 2015 6:15 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Oh, you do have your hands full !  This was why I agreed to having the solicitor do it on my behalf.  Still not had any responses from them or the bank.  I'm imagining someone having slapped wrists :/

Like 0      
12 Oct 2015 10:26 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

We don't get bills from our local council either (Vera). I managed to contact them via their Facebook page and received a bill, when I visited 2 weeks later, there was also a bill in the letter box!!

Can't help with the dd though as I won't set one up, because we don't get a bil. Catch 22!!!

Mark

Like 1      
12 Oct 2015 11:06 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

That's hilarious Mark, a catch 22 indeed.  I'm learning so much from this forum :/

Like 0      
13 Oct 2015 8:36 PM by Jaki54 Star rating in Darlington/La Tercia. 39 posts Send private message

Jaki54´s avatar

Hey Johnzx :D

It seems that you were right !  FINALLY, after sending an unusually assertive email this afternoon, within minutes the solicitors actually rang me from Spain.  I guess they don't like the idea of losing business and being named and shamed :/   It turns out that the Town Hall were at fault all along.  So, check your banks people and check your direct debits if you come under Murcia Town Hall.

This was part of an email from the solicitor this afternoon after my rather loud and angry 'conversation' with her :  ".....Murcia town hall and they informed me since the direct debits method of SEPA changed some of direct debits did not worked properly, it happens also to other clients....."

So, check your direct debits people and check all is well if you come under Murcia Town Hall.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How do you get in touch with moderators on this site - 5 posts
E-bike rental service - 1 posts
First time visiting El Saladillo near Mazarron - 4 posts
Hi,I'm,Fairygirl and I'm looking for a place to,rent for February and March next year in Gran Alacant, Alicante - 0 posts
Surcharges on debts - 3 posts
SPANISH EQUIVALENT OF RSPCA - 2 posts
Car and trailer query - 2 posts
Do we get the title dees? - 1 posts
Making a very simple will - 1 posts
Marbella rentals & occupancy - 4 posts
Gran Canaria. A new life? Dream or reality? - 4 posts
PRODUCTIVE PARTICIPATION IN THE ANDALUSIAN FORUM ON JUSTICE - 5 posts
Cancelling a life Insurance for mortgage protection after selling property - 5 posts
Looking for a four bed country house in Spain - 0 posts
flight charges - 11 posts
British nationals buy one in eight properties in Spain. - 0 posts
Notary costs in Spain - 2 posts
NOVEMBER 10- final deadline to claim on excessive IHT paid more than 4 years ago - 0 posts
Water Filter Home System - 0 posts
Who Remember Santa Maria Green Hills - MVG - latest update !!! Jose Ramon beats developer - 0 posts
Buy upholstery foam iin south of spain Malaga - 2 posts
Limiting who can be in position of President - 18 posts
Unbelievable meeting - 10 posts
How dose this work. CAR REG - 4 posts
"Homes under the hammer" Spanish adventure CAMPOSOL - 40 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x