Cancelling a life Insurance for mortgage protection after selling property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Oct 2015 5:24 PM by Kevillie Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

We had to take out a life insurance policy to cover our mortgage which is 157 euros per month.  We have just completed on the sale of our house in spain but Mapfre are telling me I cannot cancel the policy until the date of renewal which is not until June 2016.  I am tempted to just not pay it - can anyone advise me on this - it seems like a rip off to me - surely I should be able to cancel it now that I no longer have a mortgage to protect?

Like 0      
07 Oct 2015 5:44 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

They will have to pay back some of their commission if you cancel, oh dear what a shame, just cancel your DDM and ignore their reminders, they will soon get the message.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
07 Oct 2015 6:03 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I am in a similar position. I am heading to Spain next week to pay off my mortgage. I have been told I have to give 2 months notice to cancel the policy but I can only do it AFTER I have paid off the mortgage. So I will have no mortgage but still have to pay the life insurance for a further 2 months. As its arranged through the bank I cannot cancel my direct debit, obviously they take a cut. Total Rip off!!!

Like 0      
07 Oct 2015 6:13 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

If there is no debt there is no insurable interest, I have no idea of Spanish rules and regulations, but what these guys are saying would be against all the rules in the UK.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2015 7:10 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

They have a con clause. You have to give 2 months notice to cancel. They wouldn't get away with it in the UK but everythings possible in Spain....

Like 0      
07 Oct 2015 7:21 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Forum member and lawyer Maria Castro should be able to clarify the legalities of the two months clause. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Looking for a four bed country house in Spain - 0 posts
flight charges - 11 posts
British nationals buy one in eight properties in Spain. - 0 posts
Notary costs in Spain - 2 posts
NOVEMBER 10- final deadline to claim on excessive IHT paid more than 4 years ago - 0 posts
Water Filter Home System - 0 posts
Who Remember Santa Maria Green Hills - MVG - latest update !!! Jose Ramon beats developer - 0 posts
Buy upholstery foam iin south of spain Malaga - 2 posts
Limiting who can be in position of President - 18 posts
Unbelievable meeting - 10 posts
How dose this work. CAR REG - 4 posts
"Homes under the hammer" Spanish adventure CAMPOSOL - 40 posts
Do I, or my buy pay tax on the furniture sold separately when selling my appartment. - 11 posts
Inheritance Tax Laws - 22 posts
The ones that are being kicked out of their homes by banks are not Spanish - 7 posts
Moving to Spain - 2 posts
Bank Charges - Banco Popular? - 4 posts
No longer need to learn Spanish! - 1 posts
Do you live in Valencia? Advice on current weather please?! - 3 posts
Do you live in Valencia? Advice on current weather please?! - 1 posts
property for sale - 0 posts
New Years Eve in Estepona / Sabinillas - 0 posts
Information Required - 9 posts
NEW!!! - GREAT NEWS!!!! - SUPREME COURT CONFIRMS BANK LIABILITY FOR DEPOSITS UNDER LAW 57/1968 - 61 posts
Coin Meters/electricity charges - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x