Clueless

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Aug 2015 7:44 PM by LaurenDReid Star rating in Norwich, Uk. 3 posts Send private message

Hello, Im lauren and Im 22. Ive been wanting to move to spain for years but due to being In a 6 year relationship I put it on hold. Now I have nothing to factor In but myself however I am completely lost on where to start, what to research and what I need. I am deadly serious about making this transition but would like to minimise the mistakes as much as I can. If anyone has any advice for me I would be extremely greatful and It would be nice hearing from people who are doing or have done the same.

Kindest regards, Lauren :)

Like 0      
23 Aug 2015 8:12 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

What part of Spain are you thinking of moving to and have you got a plan regarding employment or any good qualifications which might help you here? You are aware that although there is talk of an improvement in the economy, it is still extremely difficult to land a permanent job?

Like 0      
23 Aug 2015 9:07 PM by LaurenDReid Star rating in Norwich, Uk. 3 posts Send private message

Wherever I can to be honest. I was thinking more along the lines of major holiday destinations and then I could hopefully work in a bar or restaurant. no i dont have any helpful qualifications, ive been in management and customer service but which should help but nothing original to bring to the table that will set me off from the rest. i honestly haven't got any idea about the economy..

Like 0      
23 Aug 2015 9:53 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

The last thing I want to do is sound negative but you need to know before you take the plunge that it's very tough here. The holiday season is already in full swing so getting work now isn't going to be easy and then you have to bear in mind that when it finishes, the tourist areas become quiet and many people with summer jobs find themselves looking for work again. 

If you plan on moving here on a permanent basis, you will need to register as a resident, get your ID number (NIE) and your medical card. If you are going to a tourist area, you'll be able to get good advice and directions on how and where to do this from other foreigners who live there. 

Good luck but don't underestimate the difficulty in finding permanent work here and do your best to learn Spanish. It will go a long way.

Like 0      
23 Aug 2015 10:00 PM by LaurenDReid Star rating in Norwich, Uk. 3 posts Send private message

whether its positive or negative I apprieciate It either way. Ok, I will definatelty keep that In mind. It will be next year I will be making the move hopefully as I don't want to rush and make any mistakes In the process. Its just difficult doing research as you search for jobs and holidays come up and your search for rental properties and holiday homes come up. very confused right now but I understand I need more of an idea what I want now. Thankyou very much

Like 0      
23 Aug 2015 10:21 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar
There's another thread just started on here asking what we would do differently about moving to Spain if we did it again. That might be worth keeping an eye on.

Like 0      
24 Aug 2015 10:00 AM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hi Lauren, you say you are 22, so still very young. Funnily enough I came to Spain when I was 22 so I sort of know what you are thinking  right now. From experience and  knowing the country and the current situation, if you are certain and decided on coming to Spain (I assume you have been her before) you need to be sure or at least give yourself the best opportunity of finding a job quickly with a salary which will allow you to enjoy the country and pay your way. If you have no qualifications that make you stand out from the rest I strongly recommend you get an English teaching qualification such as a CELTA certificate or equivalent.

Even though it may not be something that interests you now, it will be something that you will always have to fall back on in case you need work. The pay is generally OK and working hours are too, better than working in a pub or a restaurant and you will have your weekends free to enjoy them.I suggest doing the course before you come, it will be cheaper than doing it here. English is booming now and there is always a need for more English teachers. Anyway plan it carefully and make sure you come with enough money to survive a few months and if you decide to take the "English teaching route" contact as many schools/academies as you can in the chosen area before coming, thus lining up interviews in advance. 

If it is not your ideal line of work it will certainly serve you until you find what you are really interested in.

Good Luck

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
24 Aug 2015 11:24 AM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Lauren, surely you must have do  some research, and realise what a state the economy is in -there many forums ( apart from this one) about life in Spain, just google them, 

Also look at advice websites, eg UK in Spain, Anglo Info, what you will find is lots of varying conflicting, confusing information which you must sift through. It's time consuming and frustrating, but has to be done. There's tons of info out there!

there is no one size fits all solution.

for advice on health, tax etc there are government websites, or phone DWP, or HMRC.

it's best to go straight to the horses mouth for accuracy.

This message was last edited by camposol on 24/08/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

What would you do differently? - 114 posts
PLAYING C.D. OR D.V.D. ON A COMPUTER - 3 posts
Tabarca Island - 1 posts
Cyclone Android X4 for Sale - 0 posts
Can I ask... - 13 posts
Maths Question - 9 posts
Bipolar - 1 posts
Furniture set for sale - 0 posts
Hi everyone I am new and thinking of moving to Spain - 21 posts
Garden Planters - 0 posts
Fishing advice! Help! - 0 posts
tax - 4 posts
Ski jobs - 0 posts
Help me to check the company in MURCIA - 5 posts
Smoking In Spain - 8 posts
Unaminity votes - 13 posts
Dog barking - 13 posts
Long term/annual car parking at Alicante & Murcia airports - 3 posts
Hi hoping to move to spain - 4 posts
Hispano-Suiza - 3 posts
Cars for sale - 3 posts
Closing an account with Caixa Catalunya from the UK - 0 posts
Exporting car from Spain to UK on behalf of my Grandad - 3 posts
exchanging driving licences - 11 posts
Would you shop anyone? - 56 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x