Do I Take My White Goods or Buy New in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jul 2015 10:57 PM by vynehound Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

At last, after a previous buyer pulling out, we have an offer on our house and hopefully will complete this time around Mid Sept. We will be renting whilst looking for a house to but and our furniture will be stored in Spain until we move in. I definately want to bring my furniture but our house buyer has asked if we would sell him our white goods which I an reluctant to do as I have been told Electrical goods are very expensive in Spain. Hubby says lets leave them and get new as its costing us £100 sqare meter to get them there. Any advice, prices of washing machine, frost free fridge/freezer, dishwasher and do I really need a tumble dryer?

Like 0      
07 Jul 2015 8:37 AM by broph Star rating. 147 posts Send private message

Hi, 

In my experience, electrical white goods are very similar in price to the UK. Likewise many large retail stores  will heavily discount goods for limited periods ( managers special discounts ) etc. Plus as buying new will normally  give you a 12 month warranty is it really worth the expense of taking your white goods from UK. Try searching on line for retailers in your chosen area and see what's available and at what cost.

Enjoy your re-location to Spain.

Regards

Ken

Like 1      
07 Jul 2015 9:00 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Have a look at Media Markt and Carrefour websites. That will give you some idea of prices here and there are plenty of others. With the good exchange rate at the moment, prices are very good here. For example, we recently bought a Samsung washing machine for €345 which is £246 and that included free delivery and installation.

And you get 2 years warranty on items bought in Spain.

Like 1      
07 Jul 2015 9:50 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

After buying a air conditioning unit last week from Worten I now find that I could of bought it 50€ cheaper from el corte ingles.Digging deep into the Worten website I have found that they offer a price match guarantee against Media Market,Carrefour and El Corte Ingles - Lets see how easy this task is going to be this morning smiley

vynehound, I would definitely buy new here for all the reasons below

Like 1      
07 Jul 2015 10:14 AM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

I would defo buy them items in Spain,all the small electrics I would bring over from UK, saying that you can get cheapish kettles and toasters in Spain, but the stuff my wife buys would be much more exspenive in Spain. I took over pressure washers,hovers, lawnmower, irons, TVS the lot but not the big white goods,and pay a visit to the pound shop for 20 odd adaptor plugs

Like 1      
07 Jul 2015 10:14 AM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

I would defo buy them items in Spain,all the small electrics I would bring over from UK, saying that you can get cheapish kettles and toasters in Spain, but the stuff my wife buys would be much more exspenive in Spain. I took over pressure washers,hovers, lawnmower, irons, TVS the lot but not the big white goods,and pay a visit to the pound shop for 20 odd adaptor plugs

Like 1      
07 Jul 2015 10:33 AM by Prova_1 Star rating in EOS TECH DEPARTMENT. 1 posts Send private message

test post  - please ignore

Like 0      
07 Jul 2015 10:39 AM by tammydog Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

Vynehound we have also have had a long haul selling our house about to exchange. So we will be going to over to Spain in September as well. Our buyer has purchased our white goods as well. But like you I'm not sure about small electric goods. Also we have a Tassimo coffee machine, but not sure if I can buy the capsules there. We are taking our furniture eventually but storing here first. Then have it brought over when we find a home. Is it cheaper to store in Spain?  We have had some very expensive quotes for taking our furniture over. We are going to look at Spanish removal companies when we are there. As it may be a bit cheaper if they are bringing a load from Spain and we are a return journey? Hopefully anyway?

Like 0      
07 Jul 2015 11:12 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Best to avoid too many UK-EU electrical adaptors

Like 1      
07 Jul 2015 12:39 PM by Mrsubby Star rating. 75 posts Send private message

I would defiantly buy from spain.

a used fridge freezer may not survive transportation.

by the time you sell your White goods and minus transportation cost, you can have brand new with warranty, for little money.

worten sell the Tassimo pods and are cheaper than UK.

if you do bring over small appliances change the plugs instead of messing with adapters. 

Like 2      
07 Jul 2015 1:22 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Hi, agree with all of those who say buy here new.  But also just wanted to say why not think about buying all new furniture?  It is going to be a real hassle to get stuff over, and British style furniture does not always fit into a Spanish style house.   There are plenty of good furniture shops around.   I never really get much attached to furniture, so for me it was a no brainer, and I enjoyed creating something completely different.    

Like 2      
07 Jul 2015 3:09 PM by lmjohn Star rating in S Wales & Piedra Ama.... 14 posts Send private message

lmjohn´s avatar

Hi, agree with people to buy electrical goods in Spain. Try to avoid the cheap adapters as they are a fire risk. Furniture also can be expensive, but with so many Brits going back and selling up many good  quality items are going cheap. We wish we had waited and bought some items second hand. Half the fun of furnishing your home is shopping around!

good luck with your life in Spain 

Like 1      
07 Jul 2015 3:36 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Half the fun of furnishing your home is shopping around!

Couldn't agree with you more lmjohn

Its surprising how many people don't agree though and want everything delivered on a lorry in one go

Buy Sell Swap Facebook groups are a good souce for a bargain, most areas have one. The main group in our area (Fuengirola) has over 12,000 members

Like 1      
07 Jul 2015 5:51 PM by vynehound Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Tammydog we are going to store ours in Spain than when we get our house at least the stuffs in the right country. We contacted a company who charge £100 sq mtr to ship over and includes 3 months storage, so will be asking them for a quote once we know whats going and whats not.

Thanks for all the comments about white goods, we are going to take your advice and let our house buyer buy them, but as he knocked us down 5k on the house price hes not getting them too cheap

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A legal question relating to offplan Bank debt and resale of Bank repossessed property - 2 posts
NIE - 9 posts
I need a fence putting up!!! - 0 posts
experience with bb4s internet - 0 posts
What is 'Normal' TV in Spain? - 13 posts
job wanted - 4 posts
advice needed - 0 posts
New in Camposol - 4 posts
New to Spain - 0 posts
help....is it doable driving to murcia from uk with 2 drivers & no stop over - 13 posts
How together from Los alcazares to seville - 2 posts
Local Doctors in Spain - 9 posts
Spanish law regarding renting out property short term - 2 posts
Corgi Registered Gas Fitter - Benalmadena - 5 posts
Metal grills and gate refurbishment - 1 posts
Duquesa to Puerto Banus Transport - 1 posts
Can anyone recommend a gardening/fencing service in Duquesa? - 0 posts
Estate Agent Jargon Explained - 0 posts
Ryanair/Hertz - 1 posts
Ralphy - 0 posts
IF WE COULD JUST FIGURE OUT WHO'S CAUSING THE PROBLEM?? > - 24 posts
Moors & Christians / Moros y Cristianos Festivals (any experts on here?) - 0 posts
NOW TV Box - 1 posts
Cucumber Gin in Spain - 2 posts
9 people hurt in Benidorm bombing by ETA today - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x