What is 'Normal' TV in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jul 2015 9:27 PM by jimmi Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I have recently purchased a holiday apartment in Alicante. I am a complete technophobe admittedly so this question will probably sound pathetic. What is normal TV service in Spain?

i don't want to invest a fortune, given that I'll only be there about 8 weeks a year. The only thing I'd really like is to be able to watch the Spanish football if possible.

my Spanish isn't great so I haven't bought a TV as yet, anyone help with what I should be asking for?

Like 0      
05 Jul 2015 9:42 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Spanish TV is digital, like Freeview in UK. Any TV you buy here will have a digital tuner built in which will pick up all the TV and radio channels from a normal aerial.

Quite a bit of football on there. Also broadcasts in dual languages so, if the original language was English then a press of a button will give it in English.  Loads of American programmes on there plus a couple of cartoon channels for the kids, Disney and Paramount film channel.

At least three of the channels regularly broadcast football along with GP, cycling, handball and so on. Obviously all commentary on those is Spanish.

Like 0      
05 Jul 2015 9:43 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Unfortunately, like in the UK, you have to pay to watch football. La Liga rights are shared between canal+ and GolTV. For canal+ you would need to have a dish installed but if you get GolTV, you just need a set top box to plug into your tv and take out a contract. The box will give you all the regular Spanish channels and the football. I think it's about 20€ a month and I may be wrong but you aren't tied to signing any long term contract with them. Many new TVs have a large card slot in the back and GolTV make a card which simply goes into this slot and you're good to go. I think any store selling televisions can tell you about the GolTV card and box.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 8:16 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

GOL TV is no more - from 1st July 2015.

But its owners are setting up another channel BeIN Sports Spain - but this is not on "terrestrial" TDT.

The only free football on Spanish TV is a Europa league match and Copa del Rey (usually on TVE1)

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 10:31 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

What you need is pay as you go internet and a android TV box work's for me. Total cost Internet installation 99eu Pay for the 7 days connection 8eu Buy a android fully loaded TV box from ebay for £40 of eBay and away you go.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 11:03 AM by jimmi Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

I'm grateful for the replies folks, albeit they somewhat conflict! Looks like i'll need to rethink my original plans. Not so sure subscriptions are entirely worth it for the occasional match. I checked websites but it appears broadband is pretty expensive and comes as a 'package' with lots of unlimited calls (through major providers). Who i'd call is of course beyond me!

I might look at a low cost broadband only deal if they exist then consider a box. It isn't easy as I delibereately avoided an ex pat area, downside is it's difficult getting information.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 12:08 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

I should have clarified the football on digital TV as not being the top clubs. Hubby tells me they are some cup matches and local team competitions.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 3:02 PM by andyintorre Star rating in Costa Blanca. 104 posts Send private message

windtalker, who are you using for your internet?

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 3:57 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I use compusurf I have a holiday home on Camposol we do not have a land line so I get the internet via a very small dish the installation cost 99 EU to install and I pay 8 EU per week when I am in Spain works great for me .

This message was last edited by windtalker on 06/07/2015.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2015 8:07 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

Far cheaper to go to a local bar to watch the footie..

Like 0      
07 Jul 2015 8:27 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Kodi on your PC, tablet, smart phone or laptop works just as well as any android box as long as you have internet

Easy to watch anything and you can connect to a TV if you wish

Like 0      
09 Jul 2015 10:48 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

If only at property 8 weeks a year, for internet is likely to prove uneconomical for installed lanline or wireless service. Most providers have a minimum use clause in their contract and 2 months a year is unlikely to make them a profit. 

For internet only it is likely a 4G sim bought locally with a 4G / Mifi type router will be o.k for your general internet use - but when it comes to TV requires a lot of data, which is where would not currently be economical on a non permanent / without unlimited data contract. So may be best to split TV / Internet.

TV wise - Most economical is to install a satellite dish on the roof - in your location a 1.4 metre dish should be sufficient, will allow you reception of all the UK Freesat & Free to air channels including all BBC's / ITV's etc - with no subscription or need to turn on and off. Pay once for hardware, quality picture & audio - original format, same as UK. This would also give you a further option for Sky - if you have UK Sky box you can bring over, plug in and get all your sports on your existing subscription (there are also other ways - but not suitable for someone just here for 2 months).

For Spanish TV - this is a legal requirement for any community (or the community has at least the reponsibility to bring sigal to outside of your property) & will be available. Most TV's under 5 years old have a digital tuner  (no set top box required for Spanish TV) - so for Spanish you should already be set. For English / BBC etc dish / IPTV.

Mentions of Android boxes with internet are fine (although not straightforward for everyone to operate) - but quality is variable and if you have slow or unstable internet - frustrating. Picture quality & ease of use wise, not comparable to satellite systems.

Paul

This message was last edited by televisiontechnology on 09/07/2015.

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
09 Jul 2015 1:13 PM by jimmi Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I think i will just buy an ordinary TV and look at an internet only connection, either the 4g sim thingy or wi fi, although even paying 20e per month for only 7 weeks per year seems excessive. I'll skip the TV, all seems too much like hard work, especially as i don't plan to lounge about in the apartment all day!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

job wanted - 4 posts
advice needed - 0 posts
New in Camposol - 4 posts
New to Spain - 0 posts
help....is it doable driving to murcia from uk with 2 drivers & no stop over - 13 posts
How together from Los alcazares to seville - 2 posts
Local Doctors in Spain - 9 posts
Spanish law regarding renting out property short term - 2 posts
Corgi Registered Gas Fitter - Benalmadena - 5 posts
Metal grills and gate refurbishment - 1 posts
Duquesa to Puerto Banus Transport - 1 posts
Can anyone recommend a gardening/fencing service in Duquesa? - 0 posts
Estate Agent Jargon Explained - 0 posts
Ryanair/Hertz - 1 posts
Ralphy - 0 posts
IF WE COULD JUST FIGURE OUT WHO'S CAUSING THE PROBLEM?? > - 24 posts
Moors & Christians / Moros y Cristianos Festivals (any experts on here?) - 0 posts
NOW TV Box - 1 posts
Cucumber Gin in Spain - 2 posts
9 people hurt in Benidorm bombing by ETA today - 1 posts
Need blood test done - 13 posts
Thomas Cook Bonus for CEO - 1 posts
MARIA de CASTRO´s Law and Fun in ALCAIDESA - 0 posts
Spanish opera venues - 0 posts
Outdoor web cam or IP Camera - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x