Electricity Charges

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jun 2015 2:12 PM by peter_carey0601 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Hi 

We have a 2 bed apartment in Almeria and have started to look at the Utility bills now that the long ter tenant has left.

So baring in mind nobody lives there I pay the following Utility bills:

Water Rates: 26,57 Euros

Gas Rates: 14,14 Euros

Electricity: 53,00 Euros

I believe some you pay a charge regardless of whether you use it but the Electricity seems high and when you add them all up it becomes a rip off. It seems odd that the UK companies would be in the press, fined or in court but in Spain the companies get away with a lot.

Peter

Like 0      
20 Jun 2015 2:56 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Water rates also include the rubbish collection and sewerage. Our water rates in UK were £340 a year (5 years ago) whether we used any water or not.

Electricity is the bugbear. They charge you for the power supplied to your property. Most houses now are contracted at 5.75Kw or 25 Amps. You will be paying about 11 cents per Kw so about 63 cents per day or nearly 40 euros every two months. On top of that, there is a special electricity tax, IVA at 21%, rental of the meter and so on which pushes it up to about 55 to 60 euro every two months before you even plug anything in.

The cost of electricity is cheaper per KWH than UK but the standing charge in UK is built into that. Plus the 21% IVA instead of 5% VAT in UK makes a big difference.

We pay around 100 euro a month for electricity but have no gas except for bottled. Thats just over £70 a month. In March, we had a no charge bill as they equalised out any payments over the year but some people had bills for double the normal amount.

According to the BBC, the average dual fuel bill in UK is now £1264 per household. I know it's a pain having to pay when you're not using but, if you owned a second home in UK and didn't use it, you'd still be paying a lot more for the council tax alone.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2015 3:31 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Marieday,

Most people I know are on a water meter in the UK, how do they pay for rubbish and sewage via a meter. Rubbish and sewage have always been itemised on our general rating account, even before we went on a meter, our water costs us £18.00 per month.

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
20 Jun 2015 3:55 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

Standing charges in Spain include rubbish collection, not UK. 

USwitch reckons the average water bills in UK on a meter are £393 per year so you must be pretty frugal with it if you are paying less than half.

We were on rates in UK 5 years ago and it was £34 a month for 10 months of the year with Severn Trent. I'm sure most people are now on meters but we weren't then. We pay €260 (about £188) a year here as permanent residents.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2015 4:38 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

We have the usual water dependent appliances, washing machine, dishwasher and a wet room with power shower (no bath). Gas charges come out at circa £1050 p/a, whilst electricity is a modest £250 p/a, our general rate is £1520 p/a. We have cavity wall insulation, double glazing and a foot deep loft insulation, I can't think of anything that we do frugally, the central heating is on thermostat for 16 hours a day for circa 8 months a year. 

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      
20 Jun 2015 5:40 PM by peter_carey0601 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks for all your swift responses. It seems normal except for the electricity which must be used by an appliance if not constant charge. In Almeria I get charged separately for rubbish collection even though I'm not there to produce rubbish.

There are charges like non-resident charge that my bank pays to the local police which seems odd considering I also pay Tax on my property. 

Regards

Peter

Like 0      
20 Jun 2015 6:25 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Peter:

There are charges like non-resident charge that my bank pays to the local police which seems odd considering I also pay Tax on my property

Not so,

If one is non-resident and has a bank account,  then they need a certificate, renewable I believe every 2 years, which is from the Policia Nacional.  The charge is quite small but if you have the bank do it for you, then you have to pay their fee too.  It has nothing to do with owning a property.

Of course there are property taxes which must be paid just for owning the property, IBI, basura, garage entrance if you have one etc. and a second ‘home’ tax (imputed income tax).   I own a lock up garage and am resident in Spain, I too pay the ‘imputed tax’ on that. My wife has a property in the Philippines, we also pay the same tax on that.

Anyone resident in Spain who has a property, in addition to their main residence,  anywhere in the world,  must declare and pay tax on it in Spain.

If you get an income from the property then you pay income tax on that as income tax

In the UK I believe a property which is unoccupied is still liable for Council Tax, which can be more than it would be if it were actually occupied.  

That’s how life is, different laws and regulations everywhere which if you are part of the system must be complied with.

Like 2      
21 Jun 2015 12:40 AM by peter_carey0601 Star rating. 7 posts Send private message

Thanks for clarifying. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Demolition Order - 4 posts
Beware The Cowboy Builders Are Back - 23 posts
Rent or Buy - 6 posts
moving to spain - 10 posts
Astra 2G latest updates - 1 posts
Music Jams - 0 posts
Inconsistent Judicial Rulings and recovery of legal costs and interest (Bank/Insurer claims) - 0 posts
Electricty to be charged by the hour - 2 posts
Foreign Asset Declaration Model 720: - 50 posts
Help!! Employer has not paid me or my tax, or his!! - 4 posts
Spanish Lawyer - 6 posts
Holmes car registration service Marbella - 2 posts
Andrew - 5 posts
Buying white goods in Malaga. - 5 posts
Selling property of deceased person - 4 posts
Deposits on car rental - 4 posts
Cleaning Service in Salou - 0 posts
Making a crime report in Spain to National Police - 10 posts
Cheap car rental option St Javier area - 4 posts
Ban cyclists ! - 32 posts
washing cars on the street - 1 posts
So we have decided to take the plunge - 10 posts
No win no fee - 1 posts
san juan de los terreros - 2 posts
COCKROACHES IN VALENCIA - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x