COCKROACHES IN VALENCIA

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jun 2015 1:56 AM by kosiak04 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello people, NEED HELP , I and my Wife live in Valencia and there are plenty of cockroaches on the center of the city streets just running behind ur legs and in our apartment, please suggest do you have same problem in your city of living in Spain? and in which cities do you live, where to move on, because my wife cant stand cockroaches.

Like 0      
13 Jun 2015 9:28 AM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

I live in Valencia and I can't say I've had a problem with cockroaches running behind my legs in the city. There are cockroaches, beetles, flies, mosquitos and much more in abundance because Spain is a hot, dry country and insects thrive here so wherever you go, you'll have that to deal with them. You can buy traps, powders or sprays to kill them or keep them out of your home so it's not as if you have to suffer them.

It's the rats in Valencia that I least like seeing.

Like 0      
13 Jun 2015 8:19 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

The Spanish love them they even named a dance after them😁

Like 0      
16 Jun 2015 11:09 AM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

Cockroaches eat fleas, mites and things so they are actually helping keep your appartment clean.

If you don't want cockroaches, start off by making sure you haven't got mites. The cockroaches don't like going hungry and will leave voluntarily if there's nothing for them to eat.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2015 2:59 PM by eos_ian Star rating in Valencia. 506 posts Send private message

eos_ian´s avatar

Hi, I live in Valencia too and yes there are cockroaches in the city during the good weather, but there are in all of the Spanish cities, and the hotter it is the more there are. How many you come across will depend very much on the area where you live and how well the local council, residential community or building block deals with insects. My block a month ago just did complete cockroach fumagation and treatment of the garage, elevator shafts and ground floor communal area. They do it every year. So does the council in the sewers and drains, so we don't see that many. But in all the time I have been here nearly 18 years now, I have never felt that the place was infested. Obviously the higher up you are the less you will see, but I used to live in a ground floor apartment and maybe 7/8 cockroaches during the summer got into my house. Just uses repellant around the doors and drains, if you see it in the house, kill it and carefully clean the area around it. You get used to it, but it comes with the weather! Also make sure you leave no food lying around. It's certainly not worth moving on for, maybe moving to a penthouse if it really bothers you!

Ian :   EOS TEAM MEMBER 

www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/ianandspain.aspx

Like 0      
17 Jun 2015 3:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Cockroaches can fly too, although they seldom do.

I have lived on CDS for over 27 years, I can't say I have been aware of any great problems, but as Ian said, the local authorities in all the towns where I have lived have carried out regular spraying.

Like 0      
17 Jun 2015 10:31 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

John we also have never seen cockroaches in our development in the grounds or our apartment in fact no spiders or insects whatsoever no mice or rats also I do not see much wildlife such as birds etc its bloody weird.

In the UK we live on the Moors and Woodlands I see badgers,squirrels foxes hedgehogs owls etc but I must admit I do look forward to visiting Spain to get away from those dreaded Wood pigeons waking me up at 5am bloody nusiance.

Think my Wife would flip if she saw a Roach LOL

Rod

Like 0      
18 Jun 2015 10:03 AM by amogles Star rating in El Campello (holiday.... 174 posts Send private message

In Campello we get plenty of pigeons. I believe they're actually rock pigeons. They're much smaller than the wood pigeons you get in the UK and also smaller than the feral pigeons of Spanish cities, and the markings are also different. We also get plenty of sparrows, blackbirds and swallows, have a pair of magpies and this winter we even had a robin. So bird-wise it's almost like Britain.

In terms of insects we get plenty of species that are similar to the ones we know but not quite the same, often differening in terms of details in the markings or size. these include bees, bumble bees, wasps, beetles etc. There is a colony of minuscule tiny wasps building a nest under the eaves of the garage right now and we're leaving them there as they're not in the way of anything and I guess actually do good work in keeping the pests under control. We occasionaly see a trapdoor spider or a snake, which is about as big as it gets in terms of fauna we see in the garden. Strangely, nothing ever comes inside the house (except occasionally some ants). No idea why.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Serena Golf apartments - 3 posts
Inter Rent Car Hire Murcia., Stay Away Warning - 13 posts
Buying a Car - 2 posts
No Community Statutes !!?? - 6 posts
Police station Cartagena - 5 posts
Mijas Costa Boardwalk - 8 posts
confused - 6 posts
Driving from uk to alicante - 2 posts
Run UK business while living in Spain - 2 posts
Advice wanted Inflatable Hot Tub Costa del Sol Nerja/Malaga region - 6 posts
taboos in presenting wedding gifts - 1 posts
Using a gestor for sale of car in Spain - 4 posts
importing english car without recidencia! - 20 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 12 posts
Buying a 15 year old property with no escritura - 5 posts
chould someone tell me why spanish Minimum age for marriage is 16 years old? - 9 posts
Garrucha files for banruptcy - 0 posts
Residents getting quotes for works in the community. - 2 posts
Failure by bank to pay gas bill direct debit - 1 posts
Toni Muldoon - 0 posts
Contiflo - 1 posts
Loan for a new property - 21 posts
Double bed with storage underneath - 0 posts
long term rental advice - 0 posts
The Greek crisis - 114 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x