Resident to Non-resident bank account

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 Apr 2015 9:48 AM by Senglar Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

We have an account with Santander as residents but have now returned to the UK. As we still have a property in Spain we will still need a bank account to pay a couple of standing orders for electricity and phone. Does anyone know if the easiest way to change is to open a new non-resident account with a different bank and close the Santander one? We will only be in Spain for a couple of weeks at a time so won't have long to sort out new paperwork while we're there. Thanks.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2015 10:47 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just tell your bank your new status.  They will swap the account, and transfer any DDs etc. 

Much the simplest way. 

Like 0      
19 Apr 2015 11:51 AM by Senglar Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I have been told by the Branch Manager that we would have to supply proof of non-residence - not so easy to do!

Like 0      
19 Apr 2015 1:45 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

As I understand it, you need to go and reverse the process by which you got your resident NIE. You need to go to the same Police office and take the original NIE and passport, fill up another form (EX15) to get your non resident NIE, this is then your proof of non residence.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2015 2:22 PM by Senglar Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Thanks. I thought it might be something like that, but I seem to remember that the process takes longer than two weeks. Isn't there also something about having to produce a form as proof of UK residence from the UK Tax Office, but the UK Office don't issue one? That's partly why I was asking if it was easier to close one account then open another at a different bank. When we first arrived in Spain, it only took a few minutes to open a non-resident account but perhaps things have changed now.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2015 2:43 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Senglar

It could be a can of worms.

Surely it's best to do it properly, If you remain officaily as resident they will want tax returns at some point, if you sign off you should then start paying non resident property tax on your place. In my experience, if you own a property, doing nothing these days is not an option - they will want to see either a tax return or a non resident tax declaration

How long it takes depends very much on your area, the official website says 5 days - where we are you can sometimes get it same day. No mention of anything from HMRC.

If you open another bank account you will have to find one that will open with a passport only and then you will have the hassle of changing your DD's over

Like 0      
19 Apr 2015 3:16 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As you specifically asked only about your bank account I did not suggest others things which might be required.

Of course, you must de-register on the EU Citizens Register.  You do that by going to the Extranjería (Foreigner’s Dept) of the National Police for the area where you are living.  Complete the form and de- register    I believe that can be done immediately. If they say you cannot,  ask for the complaints form.  I think they will ‘find that you can do it.’

As for the non-resident’s cert.   If you cannot get that there and then, your bank can do it for you, for a small charge.  I believe most non residents get their bank to do it for them.

I believe you  must also notify Hacienda that you are ceasing to be tax resident.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2015 5:31 PM by hosilverlining Star rating in Property owner in Gr.... 173 posts Send private message

This form can be completed on line and the certificate, with spanish translation, is sent out by post.  It was accepted by our Spanish bank although the account was opened as a non-resident and it was only for a non-residency check.

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/PT_CertOfRes

It's impossible to find it by searching on the HMRC website but google 'certificate of UK fiscal residence' and it comes right up.

In the reasons why a certificate is needed box we entered 'required by Spanish bank for proof of non-residency in Spain' and then Spain as the country whose tax office requries the certificate.

The certificate, with your notification to your bank of change of residency status, should help.  Although as we know, the workings of the Spanish bank system are always something of a mystery.

Like 0      
20 Apr 2015 8:59 AM by Senglar Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Many thanks for your replies. Much appreciated. I hope we can sort it out on our next short visit. We're also concerned that our bank account could be frozen while we're away because we haven't been able to go to have our ID documents scanned. Do you know if electricity can be paid in any other way than a bank transfer?

Like 0      
20 Apr 2015 9:21 AM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

You can send copies of your passports and other documents to your bank by e mail 

Documentacionidentificacion@gruposantander.com

This message was last edited by scubamike on 20/04/2015.

This message was last edited by scubamike on 20/04/2015.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hacienda chasing new home owners - 1 posts
Bankruptcy - and administrators - 3 posts
holiday home/destination between Malaga and Almeria & lawyer advice - 0 posts
New Bank Regulations digital ID - 32 posts
New EU rules threaten Spanish property market. - 1 posts
Caja Rural Central - 0 posts
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - 0 posts
Best free translation site - 5 posts
corruption Spain - 2 posts
Wanted Undercounter Slimline (48cm) fridge with coolbox or freezer - 0 posts
New NIE form - 0 posts
Spanish Wills - 7 posts
Problem Posting using an Android Tablet - 6 posts
Hi Everyone, - 3 posts
NEW TO ALICANTE CITY/MODEL AIRCRAFT - 1 posts
cost to clean and empty a septic tank in Murcia - 1 posts
amadeus IT = Bankia ??????? - 0 posts
Help for renting - 17 posts
Does anyone know of a translator near San Javier? - 0 posts
where is the nearest ITV Garage in Bilbao? - 1 posts
Re purchasing a car in Spain - 2 posts
Experiences from people who are renting their properties in GB to fund life in Spain please! - 29 posts
What happens if I do nothing? - 12 posts
Lawyer needed in Los Alcazares - 13 posts
Visitors - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x