SPANISH JUDGE DOES GOOD WORK ON ABUSIVE DELAY INTEREST CLAUSES

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
23 Mar 2015 10:21 PM by fazarelli Star rating. 282 posts Send private message

SPANISH JUDGE DOES GOOD WORK ON ABUSIVE DELAY INTEREST CLAUSES

The European Court of Justice has issued a ruling dated 21 January 2015 (Joined Cases C 482/13, C 484/13, C 485/13 and C 487/13, Unicaja and others), in which it states that the Spanish legislation on foreclosure to which the national judge must request the recalculation of delay interests arising from the application of a rate higher than three times the legal interest rate, as that legal measure is consistent with the Law of the European Union.

The Spanish judge can also consider the possibility of suppressing the application of the said clause.

Maria, could you explain a bit more about the above statement please? It was sent by you in your latest email update.

It seems to be saying that the Euro Court judges are agreeing to give claimants upto 3 times legal interest for delays. It then says that the judge can suppress this application.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2015 4:20 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Last regulations on foreclosure in Spain obligues the Judge to request Bank for recalcualtion of delay interest rate if this is higher than 3 times the legal interest rate.

This has been recently applauded by the European Court of Justice

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 Mar 2015 5:31 PM by trowell1 Star rating. 150 posts Send private message

Hi Maria

I'm not sure what this means.

We are due some interest/costs from the banks after receicing our deposits back after winning our case.

Does this relate to this situation

Regards

Like 0      
27 Mar 2015 5:47 PM by fazarelli Star rating. 282 posts Send private message

~~Last regulations on foreclosure in Spain obligues the Judge to request Bank for recalcualtion of delay interest rate if this is higher than 3 times the legal interest rate.

This has been recently applauded by the European Court of Justice

Maria,

I've bolded the part that i'm not sure about. Why would the 'delay interest rate' be more than '3 times higher than legal interest rate'?

Legal interest is around 4%, would the judge say that he would award 12+%?

Seems a bit strange.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2015 7:39 PM by hosilverlining Star rating in Property owner in Gr.... 173 posts Send private message

I believe this is about foreclosure, i.e. repossession of property following default on mortgage payments.  The banks try to add huge interest penalties to the debt, but can be challenged in court and ordered to reduce the penalty interest if the judge believes it to be abusive.  The European Court of Justice seems to agree that banks cannot just add huge penalties for their own benefit and have to follow the law.

I understand that in Spain mortgage debt is for life therefore the debt left after repossession can be crippling if the greed of the banks is not curbed.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2015 8:45 PM by fazarelli Star rating. 282 posts Send private message

Aah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

I saw 'legal interest' and automatically thought it was in connection with Ley 57/68 etc.

Like 0      
29 Mar 2015 9:20 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

If this be true

"The European Court of Justice seems to agree that banks cannot just add huge penalties for their own benefit and have to follow the law. "

then why, may I ask , has the European Court of Justice not also ensured that the Banks in Spain CONSISTENTLY adhere to Ley 57/68 in a timely manner that respects the due process of law (i.e. that there be no contra legem rulings or inconsistent interpretations within the various regions of Spain, which ultimately deny innocent purchasers of their inalienable rights) and thereby ensure that the Banks "follow the law"?

This legal lottery and delays to justice during this last decade relating to consistent adherence of existing law Ley 57/68 should be fully recognised by the European Court of Justice.....

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

local estate agent covering mazarron and cartagena - 5 posts
Deposit issue - please need help quickly - 0 posts
The Spanish Legal System is a joke - 7 posts
Android tv box owners read this. - 1 posts
Bye Bye Europa Telecom - I have a MAG box going free if anyone needs it. - 1 posts
I owe 8 years of IBI - 10 posts
Any help and advice appreciated to help us move to Spain - 50 posts
trampolin hills - 1 posts
Voting in Andalucia today - 3 posts
Hi, New Here, Looking to Move to Alicante in 5 weeks - 4 posts
Honest tradesmen in Campello /Alicante area - 0 posts
Documents required by Estate Agents from overseas buyers - 10 posts
MAG254 IPTV box with WiFi - 2 posts
want to buy an apartment in Malaga capital - please advice - 3 posts
Moving to Spain pending the Brexit! - 8 posts
Inspection hamber on bathroom floor - 2 posts
Car regs for Spain - 5 posts
anyone know a free proxy for iplayer itv player that seems safe and OK - 5 posts
is there any "Real Ale" on te costa del sol? - 2 posts
Links - 1 posts
Job wanted_Sales, Administrative Manager or English-Russian interpreter - 0 posts
Bank Guarantees Abuse - 2 posts
Creating "Power of Attorney" in UK that will work in Spain - 2 posts
Documentation translation - 0 posts
public transport combined weekly bus/train ticket - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x