CLOSING A SPANISH BANK ACCOUNT

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Mar 2015 10:57 AM by formentera costa Star rating. 368 posts Send private message

I will shortly be closing my spanish bank account.

I will be taking with me my passport and debit card as proof of identity

does anyone know if I will need any other document to CLOSE the account

because as we all know the spainsh can make things difficult for you when you want

to transfer your custom elsewhere.

any replies appreciated

coolyes

Like 0      
07 Mar 2015 11:05 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I've closed a couple of accounts down over here. All you need is proof of identity. CAM bank, as was, simply gave me the balance there and then but Bankinter made me wait a day to ensure there were no payments outstanding. Both also gave me a list of direct debits and standing orders I had as well.

Like 0      
07 Mar 2015 11:10 AM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Yes, I feared the worst when I wanted to move banks, but I went into a branch of Bankinter and it was really straight forward.  I also asked for a list of regular outgoings and they ran that off on the spot.    Good luck.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2015 3:47 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have closed accounts with several banks over the 28 years I had property in Spain.    Never had any problem.

The last couple of times I have obtained a list of my Direct Debits from the existing bank and had the new bank set up new ones for me.

Like 0      
08 Mar 2015 6:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Having a real nightmare with Barclays. I opened the account over the internet from the UK, without setting foot in Spain. Now they have been taken over, I have moved my banking to another institution, but I cannot close the account the same way as I opened it. All the local branches to us have been closed and they want me to travel to Spain and then on to Cartagena where my branch was moved to. It isn't going to happen. I have logged in with the secure baniking and informed then several times, I have also sent letters to them, but they are refusing to play ball. I have just told them now that I will not be enetering into further communication with them as I consider the account closed. I am sure this isn't the end of the matter for me.

Mark

Like 0      
08 Mar 2015 10:32 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Has this takeover actually happened! What bank is it?

Like 0      
08 Mar 2015 11:00 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Yes It's happened

La Caxia took over Barclays retail accounts in Spain from January this year

Our account operations and terms have remained unchanged but we are keeping a watchful eye.

The staff in our branch are worried for their jobs, branches have been closed as you would expect as La Caxia inegrates the Barclays branches into their network. The staff in our branch have said they will not know any more until May

Like 0      
09 Mar 2015 12:52 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

So if I need to send money to Barclays I still use the account number

and swift number on my recent statement.

Would that be right?

Like 0      
09 Mar 2015 8:56 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

My account details are unchanged - maybe you should check just to be on the safe side.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2015 6:10 PM by tech Star rating in Maidstone/Turre when.... 83 posts Send private message

I opened my account with Barclays, Mojacar a few years ago, yes they closed the branch and transfered my account to Almeria. Not very convieniant but as my banking was done on line, until now it hasn't been a problem. Can anybody tell me if it would be easy to transfer my account back to Mojacar using La Caxia? Help would be appreciated.

Best regards.

Tech.

Like 0      
09 Mar 2015 6:30 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Don't know about transferring it back, it is usually best to have something local, but we changed to Banco Sabadell by Hotel Mexico in Puerto Rey. Very good (just as they were at Barclays in Mojacar) and charges about the same (even though they are more as we got a discount 'cause the wife is Barclays staff in the UK).

Mark

Like 0      
09 Mar 2015 6:35 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

As all of us Barclays customers are now La Caxia account holders by default I woulldn't think it would be a problem tech.

I guess it's something you would have to do by going into the branch in Mojacar, I doubt you will be able to do it online, If you have good Spanish maybe you could do it by phone.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

It's that 720 time again! - 9 posts
finca and inland Alicante life - 0 posts
Helo Android TV good by Satellite TV - 20 posts
Where can I watch Six Nations Rugby on Saturday 21st mijas , fuengirola, el faro area pls - 14 posts
Mazarron Area - 2 posts
Driving over to Spain and leaving the car on private land - 4 posts
3 Million Year Old Jawbone Found In Ethiopia - 0 posts
Road tax - 2 posts
Bitdefender Total Security 2015 - 0 posts
Things That I Like And Dislike About Spain - 53 posts
Power shift with Iberdrola - 7 posts
calculation of capital gains tax - 2 posts
Sold up and still waiting for 3% Retention Tax - 5 posts
40,000 signatures collected for Palomares nuclear fall-out clean-up - 77 posts
Would you buy a property .......? - 4 posts
air lock in water heater! - 23 posts
Bank Transfers within Spain - How long does it take - 8 posts
Sewage Smell - 0 posts
community fees - 6 posts
Looking for an appartment to buy - 6 posts
NI Contributions after pensionable age. - 1 posts
Torrevieja Forum - now charging to join - 4 posts
Return from Spain to the UK and back to Spain e.g. circular migration - 0 posts
renew (not exchange) old uk paper licence in spain - 5 posts
Another 'Leisure Park'? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x