Amazon Fire TV

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Feb 2015 9:30 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi,

Does anyone have one of these little boxes and using it in Spain?  What's it like and can you get live UK TV either via the BBC / ITV apps or 3rd party apps.  

I have an android box and am currently getting UK TV via the box, a smart DNS service and Filmon/ BBC iPlayer.

However I wondered if the Amazon Fire TV would offer better performance, it's got some really good reviews, but no mention of using in Spain.

Thanks

Kelju

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 10:07 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Although I'm sure there's a way around it (there always is) Amazon UK particularly states that TV content is only available if you are physically present in the UK. You can access apps, games and WP but not TV if you are travelling. The Amazon.com site says that theirs is only available in the USA and I'm pretty sure if you bought one in Spain it would only give you Spanish content (just like my smart TV does).

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 10:17 AM by JPD Star rating in Hull, East Yorkshire.... 391 posts Send private message

JPD´s avatar

Hi there I dont think you will get it to work in Spain, when we moved back over in September we had an Amazon prime account with thier streaming service. I tried everthting even bought uk IP address which would let most of uk catch up services work but no luck with Amazon. In the end I rang Amazon whilst on line and thier support tried to get it to work, the fault code kept saying IP not in UK.

Maybe Amazon have more advanced security or something, in the end I cancelled the Prime. I now use an Andriod XBMC box vertually everything free no monthly fee.

Boxes from about 100 euros

Like 1      
06 Feb 2015 10:19 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Works fine with my IP VPN provifder, Strong VPN

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 1:44 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks for the replies.

Inspectahomespain - can you get live UK TV on it, either via Filmon or another app?

Bobaol - if you have a Samsung smart TV, you can change the App Store to the UK, check out the Eye on Demand website and it gives full instructions, you will also need a smart DNS service, I use Overplay which costs about $4 a month (that's US dollars), this makes your TV / set top box think it is in the UK, so you can access iPlayer etc.  unfortunately the BBC iPlayer and ITV player on the Samsung App Store do not stream live content, only catch up TV.

kelju

This message was last edited by kelju on 06/02/2015.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 3:35 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

No, it's a Sony Bravia. Lovely TV but accessing the internet is extremely slow and all the on demand apps are Spanish except Youtube.

However, I have a sat dish so get all the freesat channels, an android box to get filmon for the channels not on freesat, a Samsung tablet for other things. My Humax set top box lets me watch ITV on demand but not the others. Those, like BBC iPlayer, I use the laptop with Google Zenmate and the HDMI cable.

Along with Spanish TDT, I have channels all over the place. Shame there's never anything on (except the rugby tonight, of course.)

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 3:48 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Looks like you've got it covered yes more options than you can shake a stick at

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 4:00 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Kelju

I have a Samsung smart tv and have done the same as you and have changed the tv to thinking it's in the uk and changed the DNS on the TV so I can use all the apps.  You can, by the way, watch bbc channels live on the tv via the bbc website on the tv's browser, with excellent quality (better than filmon).

Also, I use camposat.tv and viewtelly.com, as well as filmon.com (although they are all sites for filmon), to view live uk tv on the tv's browser - I prefer this to using filmon via xbmc on an android box.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2015 10:13 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi Pitby,

Never thought to watch through the TV web browser...Doh!blush

kelju

Like 0      
06 Aug 2015 2:46 PM by k888rry Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi I have tried lots of set ups,

Android Box (Clumbersome and not remote friendly)

Roku (Works fine for Film On, but still awkward to get to Uk Channels)

Amazon Fire Tv Box , Brilliant, amazing, speedy, awsum... !!!!!!!! Full UK TV Channels (TVplayer app), Amazon Prime, Netflix, BBC i Player, ITV Player, XBMC... everything with a remote that works fantastic

Set up :

Amazon Fire TV Box £79

Subscribe to Overplay Smart DNS £3.20 per Month, follow instructions to either add the DNS to Amazon Fire TV Box or as i have done to my Router (Lets all devices in house access UK TV) 

This service makes the devices think they are in the UK Region,

Once you have Overplay DNS set up, then on the Amazon Fire TV box download TVPlayer app, its been designed to work perfectly with the Fire Tv Box remote, and streams lovely, 

And their you have the perfect UK TV in Spain on one Device. 

Thats 12.80 Per Month for 12 Months (Inc cost of box) or £7.09 over 24 Months (inc cost Box)

Bargain, only setup that works best in Spain , Give me your feedback once you have set up.

Like 0      
06 Aug 2015 7:46 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi k888rry,

that's kind of information I was looking for, so thanks very much for posting.  However I have now connected my TV to the community aerial and I don't know how or why, but as well as Spanish digital TV, we get BBC 1, BBC2, ITV and Channel 4 - which is all we require, so unless this changes I won't need a separate box.

however I am sure others will find the information you have posted very useful.

thanks again

kelju

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

English speaking vet Murcia - 9 posts
TV and Satelite Info around Spain - 0 posts
hi i'm Sue! - 12 posts
Consumer units and general installation questions - 1 posts
Spanish terrestrial TV - 4 posts
Buying a Car - 11 posts
medical certs for driving - 2 posts
Electrician in torrevieja . - 0 posts
When Tax Free Permanent Health Insurance is your only income - 0 posts
deborah - 1 posts
Good gestoria in Fuengirola - 4 posts
Assistance with locating a property to purchase in Andalucia - 1 posts
Reply problem - 1 posts
Reply problem - 9 posts
Inheritance tax in Andalucia - 4 posts
Civil Service pensions - 0 posts
FOR SALE TITLEIST DCI 990 IRONS - 1 posts
The Flintstones - 0 posts
la Nucia or Almoradi - 0 posts
Weather this week - 3 posts
TV Opportunity - 5 posts
work opportunities for native english speaking teacher of spanish and french - 0 posts
Long lets in Lake Vinuela - 0 posts
advice on living in villas del duque - 4 posts
Moving to Spain For A Year Tax and Medical Care Questions - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x