Wintering in Spain.....we're booked!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Jan 2015 7:29 PM by FTFN Star rating in East Anglia. 5 posts Send private message

Hi Guys

Just a quick introduction from me.  My wife & two dogs have been planning to get abroad over our UK's lousy Winter for years and we've finally got organised.  Everything has been cut back to basics and by carefully saving up, we can comfortably afford a good few months off so in Manilva.  The apartment is booked with deposits paid and we can now start ticking the weeks off until we pack our bags in October!

We are both starting Spanish lessons too, as we're really keen to try and maximise the whole experience.

I can't wait!!

Any advice or suggestions for things to do (and 'not' do) in the area during November and April will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Like 0      
07 Jan 2015 7:36 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Pack some thick jumpers!

Like 1      
07 Jan 2015 7:45 PM by FTFN Star rating in East Anglia. 5 posts Send private message

:)  Never going to be the same temperatures as the East coast of England! Struggled to beat 4 degrees in the wind today

Like 0      
07 Jan 2015 8:22 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

I am not joking !We live in Murcia, and it is very cold indeed at the moment, less than 4 degrees.3 sharp frosts recently.

It can be nice during the day, but when cloudy,and at sunset, temperatures drop steeply.

Most properties are not insulated, and along with tiled floors and walls , it is like a fridge in the evenings.

Many places do have heating, but it can be expensive to keep on all the time 

If you want a mild winter the Canary Islands are best, with a warmer, more even year round  temperature.

Like 1      
07 Jan 2015 8:56 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Dont Worry 

Manilva is a few miles south of us it is practically the most southern tip of Europe and the mean temps are the highest through winter, there is a temperature chart on our website www.ournextholiday.co.uk to help you judge for yourself 

A friend who permanently lives in the area says he has never seen snow or frost in 20 Years so hope that helps

Enjoy Spain it is the best

Rod

This message was last edited by rod on 07/01/2015.

Like 2      
08 Jan 2015 10:28 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

As Camposol said be prepared for a steep learning curve all I would like to add is if the place your are going to is a holiday resort most of the bars /hotels /restaurants will be closed with very few people around .

Like 0      
08 Jan 2015 1:14 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

The warmest region of Spain in the winter months is the Costa del Sol. There is a huge mountain range behind the coast on the north side that shelters the coastal strip from cold northerly winds. Murcia gets a lot of cold winds in winter but is still relatively warm compared to the UK. Although it varies considerably and can have long cold period like now.

Don't believe temperature statistics they are meaningless. The best places outside mainland Spain is Agadir in Morocco or the Canaries.

This message was last edited by Mickyfinn on 08/01/2015.

Like 1      
08 Jan 2015 1:23 PM by FTFN Star rating in East Anglia. 5 posts Send private message

Thanks all :)

Nice website Rod, really like the presentation and layout. I check temperatures daily and already have people we know in Cabopino, so we're confident that we'll be better off.

Like 1      
08 Jan 2015 3:44 PM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 470 posts Send private message

Micky Finn

Could not have put it better myself the large mountain is La Concha and with its friends it shields this special place from the wind in winter. 

The Costa Del Sol is open all year round for business FTFN I have stayed MANY times and there is always plenty to do but do take some decent umbrellas the downpours can be torrential during winter months.

FTFN thanks for the compliments over the website its an ongoing project really, I try to improve it most days I built it all myself with the help of a company called WIX.com and for anyone wishing to start a website its very cost efficient no crazy fees that these so called expert WEBMASTERS charge.

Duquesa is the port and Manilva is the village up the hill I have played golf here ,it is quieter then Mrabella and Puerto Banus in Winter but still very enjoyable and of course if you feel Home sick you can be in Gibraltar in half an hour.

Thanks Rod

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Man and/or Van Needed - 2 posts
Astra - 2 posts
A question for law firms relating to major delays and speedy accountability of Banks - 0 posts
SPECIAL APPEAL – FIFI NEEDS YOUR HELP! - 0 posts
taxes - 0 posts
Piano Lessons Orihuela Costa. - 0 posts
Painter&Decorator - 1 posts
Can someone please help?? - 8 posts
4G PAYG Mobile internet Benalmadena - 1 posts
The Truth about property and permisions when Buying/selling - 18 posts
SPANISH ELECTRIC ITEMS NOT CHARGING PROPERLY - 3 posts
Car Car Car, what to do ? - 6 posts
Uncercounter fridge freezer - 2 posts
What's The Price of Fuel in Your Area - 15 posts
Large Endesa Bills Despite No Power Usage - 10 posts
3,2,1 to Martinsa- Fadesa´s liquidation-- Actions against Banks opened - 1 posts
Buying a Spanish registered car in the UK - 12 posts
Residency - 13 posts
UK Paper License - 65 posts
Heating help! - 16 posts
Merry Christmas - 1 posts
Another government cock-up! - 0 posts
Astra Satellite - 13 posts
TEXT Santa etc - 2 posts
Buy direct from owner and you will get a nice surprise - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x