Buying a Spanish registered car in the UK

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Dec 2014 6:07 PM by Shadbolt Star rating in Beverley, East Yorks.... 8 posts Send private message

We are currently in the process of purchasing a property in Spain and will need a car over there.  It has been suggested that the best option is to buy a Spanish registered car in the UK and drive it over.  Does anyone have previous experience of this?  or can offer any advice?

Like 0      
28 Dec 2014 6:22 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

I bought from from these people no problems, for me buying in the UK to many grey areas. then you have to drive it to Spain has it got a itv, have you got spainish insurance.is it clear of outstanding speeding fines etc.http://www.kalydautos.com/

Like 0      
28 Dec 2014 6:27 PM by Shadbolt Star rating in Beverley, East Yorks.... 8 posts Send private message

Thanks newworld, good points will bear this in mind

Like 0      
28 Dec 2014 6:34 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Unless you are going to have it transported to Spain for you, as far as I am aware the biggest problem (and cost) will be in making it legal for you to drive yourself. As bought in England, it will have no tax, insurance or MoT, so in order to drive it to Plymouth, and from Santander to home, you would have to re-register it onto British plates just to get these documents. Then you would have to re-register it onto the Spanish system when you arrive.

I drove a British reg car over several years ago and then spent a little time re-registering it - I did it myself and found it quite easy. and there are no penalties (insurance etc) in it being RHD. Alternatively, you could source a British reg LHD car if you don't fancy driving on the wrong side!

Let me know if there is anything else I haven't thought of.

Steve 

Steve.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2014 6:53 PM by Shadbolt Star rating in Beverley, East Yorks.... 8 posts Send private message

Hi Steve,  thanks for replying I notice you are in Almoradi which is quite a coincindence because we are buying near Algorfa. It was friends who live in Spain who mentioned buying a Spanish registered car over in the UK so guess we will have more homework to do on this one.  As seems the case with most things at the moment haha.

Need a good gym in the Algorfa area as well if you know of any.

Kind Regards

Sarah

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 10:42 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

If you really want to drive then buying a Spanish car in UK is an option - not the smartest idea.

You could drive a UK car over here and then part ex it at the many car sales places.

If you are happy to fly then the best option is to buy a car when you are here, most of the the time flying is much cheaper than driving (ferry, fuel, tolls, meals, hotel if needed). You can always hire a car for a few days while you find a car it is not difficult and many showrooms are online so can view now

There are many removal companies who will transport your belongings should you be bringing them with you (fulll or part loads)

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 6:35 PM by Shadbolt Star rating in Beverley, East Yorks.... 8 posts Send private message

Hi Tad1966  thanks for your reply.  No probs with flying it had been suggested to us as a good idea but from all the responses clearly it isn't the case.  Although I quite fancied the idea of driving through a bit of the country and getting to know the places etc.  Will take a look around some websites.  Thankyou

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 7:24 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Shadbolt

Good luck in whatever you choose and enjoysmiley

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 8:00 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Some good advice from Tadd - you certainly need to do your homework!

If you do decide to drive /transfer a uk car, two things to remember; look for a popular continental model as parts for the conversion (headlights etc) will be readily available in scrap yards at a huge saving in cost, and keep an eye on the emission levels, as this is what the SUMA tax is calculated on. This is one thing I was unaware of - my 2ltr petrol car costs me 115 euros a year, whereas my friend's 1.6 diesel Clio costs less than 40!

There used to be an excellent gym in the La Finca Golf Hotel in Algorfa, but not sure if it's still there. There is also a gym/health club in Almoradi, will try to find out more about it and let you know.

Steve

Steve.

Like 0      
29 Dec 2014 8:35 PM by Shadbolt Star rating in Beverley, East Yorks.... 8 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Steve if you get any further info on gyms it would be much appreciated

Like 0      
30 Dec 2014 8:06 PM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi all, I'm in the process of importing car number 4 into Spain.

I find Spanish second hand cars VERY expensive. The dealerships give good warranty's but that's all factored into the price.

i find no problem, driving RHD cars here, but if you can find a good price Spanish registered car in London, why not have t shipped over? I pay about £550 door to door.

The only thing to be careful of  are any existing debts on the car which you become liable for when buying a Spanish car. You won't have to pay import duty or to get the lights switched.

Carl

Like 0      
30 Dec 2014 8:08 PM by carl9 Star rating. 136 posts Send private message

Hi I forgot to say you can register it in Spain for insurance and that will be valid in the UK fir up to 90 days so you have ample time to import

regards, Carl

Like 0      
31 Dec 2014 5:43 PM by Shadbolt Star rating in Beverley, East Yorks.... 8 posts Send private message

Thanks Carl very useful information

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Residency - 13 posts
UK Paper License - 65 posts
Heating help! - 16 posts
Merry Christmas - 1 posts
Another government cock-up! - 0 posts
Astra Satellite - 13 posts
TEXT Santa etc - 2 posts
Buy direct from owner and you will get a nice surprise - 0 posts
Buy direct from owner and you will get a nice sorprise - 0 posts
Buyer withdraws due to Fuera de Ordenación classification - 8 posts
Cost of installing a lift/elevator? - 0 posts
easyJet luggage charges - 0 posts
Looking for a job....Orihuela Costa - 2 posts
CAJA RURAL liable of refunds in Eurohouse, Fortuna development - 3 posts
Uk Car sale - 0 posts
villa salada - 0 posts
Internet - 7 posts
replacement coping stones for swimming pool - 2 posts
Hola Malaga, looking forward to speaking to u all - 0 posts
Have you read Platero y yo? - 0 posts
5% withholding tax on sale - 5 posts
Atlas Choice - car hire brokers - 2 posts
Gotardo Rodriguez Palmera Properties - 13 posts
loans help please - 18 posts
Montemar near La Finca, Algorfa - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x