UK Paper License

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Dec 2014 10:49 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Last week at a pre-booked car hire desk in UK I was asked for the paper part of my UK license. I have never been asked for this in many years of hiring cars so I don't carry it.The bolshie clerk at Europa desk in Manchester airport told me that he could call the DVLA to check me out but it would cost £10.00. I told him to shove the car and his phone and went to another desk - no problems.

If all the arrangements have already been made on line, paid for and agreed - what is the logic of re-opening the process on arrival? If more information is needed, surely it should be sought during the booking process - or have I missed something?

The reason for this post is that visitors to UK may wish to take the paper part of their license with them to avoid any unexpected problems after a a days stressful travel.

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 11:05 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Yes, the same thing happened to me at Luton Airport last year. In my case with Enterprise they phoned the DVLA for nothing though and it took a couple of seconds for them to confirm that the license number, the name and address matched. I guess its just another check to combat fraud and deception although I agree it would be helpful if they let you know when booking

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 11:40 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Same here with Europcar in UK who wanted to call DVLA at a cost of 10 GBP each for two drivers. After some kerfuffle they still phoned DVLA but dropped the charge. Use Europcar and Hertz regularly in Europe and never been asked for this but on checking the small print they do say it is needed. Two weeks ago rented from Enterprise at Manchester Airport and not asked for it. They also want to check for any convictions.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 11:56 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

I did notice a passing reference to the 'paper part' in the weeds on Alamo/Europa website's T's & C's on my return to Spain. It is absolutely crazy that no reference is made to this requirement on their web-pages and even more odd that in these days of advanced technology and communications they need to use a telephone to obtian verbal information from a clerk at DVLA. I assume that if the DVLA had been closed, then little Hitler at Alamo desk in Manchester would have had great delight in denying me a car. Surely it's not beyond the combined wit of the rulers at Alamo to secure the information they need to hire a car BEFORE they enter into an agreement. It's not degree stuff is it? I want a car and I have money - they have cars and want my money...... I don't see a problem.

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 12:31 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

When Europcar phoned the DVLA for our hire we had to give DVLA permission to disclose any info to Europcar, perhaps they wont pay DVLA a fee like some rogue companies do to obtain driver details and that is why the can't do it beforehand. It still doesn't explain the inconsistency of why some companies impose this and others don't. Since our debacle we assume the paper part will be needed and carry it although we've never been asked for it since but it would be sod's law if I didn't have it I'd be asked for it!

Poppyseed

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 12:47 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

What will they do from June when the counterpart is no longer issued?

Never been asked for it anywhere, UK, Spain, USA or France. UK with Alamo, Enterprise, Hertz so it must be down to the jobsworth on the desk who has been reading the small print.

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 2:36 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

Your license isn't valid unless you have the counterpart. It's on the coiunterpart that convictions and points are shown. Don't forget that the picture card is only valid for 10 years as well! Happy New Year.

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 2:55 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

So every other country in Europe (and probably most countries in the world) have the technology not to have a paper bit to the licence but UK hasn't?  I doubt it. And the paper counterpart is being stopped in June 2015 anyway, 

And, no, your licence is valid until you are 70. It's just the photo needs updating every 10 years. 

Like 0      
27 Dec 2014 3:38 PM by scubamike Star rating in Murcia province . 218 posts Send private message

scubamike´s avatar

In Spain if you are banned from driving they take your photocard license off you As far as I am aware this is not the case in the UK so theoretically you could hire a car hence the need to produce the green counterpart to confirm you are eligible to drive 

Like 1      
28 Dec 2014 1:42 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you are a Spanish residen ( expat) why are you still using a UK licence shouldn't you have a Spanish licence .

Like 0      
28 Dec 2014 1:42 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

If you are a Spanish residen ( expat) why are you still using a UK licence shouldn't you have a Spanish licence .

Like 1      
28 Dec 2014 1:54 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

If I have property in UK but choose duel residence with Spain - I don't think I need to obtain a Spanish license.

Like 1      
28 Dec 2014 2:24 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

It's not worth fighting over, Woodbug.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2014 3:21 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Scubamike:  In Spain if you are banned from driving they take your photo card license off you As far as I am aware this is not the case in the UK so theoretically you could hire a car hence the need to produce the green counterpart to confirm you are eligible to drive

However, if one did not produce their document/s for the authorities to confiscate, then one would still have them to use dishonestly if one  chose

Like 1      
28 Dec 2014 6:35 PM by MikeandHelen Star rating. 193 posts Send private message

The Counterpart was always considered as part of the driving licence and should have been produced with it when required, e.g. when hiring a car. I carry mine with my passport.

The DVLA 'Might' have announced that as of 1st January 2015 it is discontinued and no longer required and Hore Companies will be able to check directly with the DVLA when a car is hired, via a premium rate number costing 51p a minute.

The Daily mail had an article on this which is not encouraging news.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-2847115/People-hiring-cars-face-long-queues-higher-costs-paper-driving-licence-counterpart-scrapped-new-year.html 

But another article say the date is not set. http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/so-when-exactly-will-the-paper-licence-counterpart-be-scrapped-dont-ask-the-dvla/25946.html

Are we suprised that the cost and inconvenience will be passed to the motorist, quite what will happen when hiring a car overseas, I think that they won't bother. But there are already fraudsters contacting people for their driving license details.

Mike.

Like 1      
28 Dec 2014 6:36 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

You cannot have  duel residency in the EU if you stay in Spain or any other country in the EU for 186 days you are classed as a  citizen from that country and you must pay tax in you're case to the Spanish tax man and the UK will class you as a Spanish citizen and to hold a British licence you will find that you need to have a permanent UK address unless you are living under the radar.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2014 6:50 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

1. So it's only UK driving license holders that have to get their driving license "confirmed" by the traffic department, then? No other EU country (that I know of) have a paper counterpart. Has anyone hiring a car in Spain been asked for this? I doubt it.

2. I think we went through the Spanish/UK driving license thing before. There is absolutely no need to change your license to a Spanish one if you have a plastic EU license issued in UK. If you are taking up residency, you should register your license with trafico and obey exactly the same rules as the Spanish regarding medicals etc. You do not have to hand your UK license in.The DVLA advice is simply to contact the traffic department in your new country which you are doing by registering your licence. The problem, though, is that if it expires, you lose it or anything happens to it (and, no, they aren't washing machine proof as I can testify) then you can't renew it with the DVLA as they won't issue one abroad.

3. And fight about it as much as you like. It's dual residency, not duel.

Like 1      
28 Dec 2014 7:28 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

"You cannot have  duel residency in the EU if you stay in Spain or any other country in the EU for 186 days you are classed as a  citizen from that country and you must pay tax in you're case to the Spanish tax man and the UK will class you as a Spanish citizen and to hold a British licence you will find that you need to have a permanent UK address unless you are living under the radar."

just to clarify, it's from the 184th day for tax residency, and you are not classed as a Spanish citizen as any time based on residency. If you wish to apply for Spanish residency based on residency then you need to have been resident for at least 10 years ( but there are other 'personal circumstances when you can apply sooner).

With regard to holding a UK licence, as Mariedav says it has been discussed many times, and you can hold a UK photocard licence ( with an address you no longer live at) until the renewal date which is normally 10 years upto age 70. You should only renew it in the place where you are normally resident, which for a driving licence is 185 days. If you wish to register it with the Spanish authorities then you can do so, but it is voluntary not compulsory.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2014 9:50 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I can assure you the name and address on the British UK licence has got to be traceable by the UK police.

Like 0      
28 Dec 2014 10:44 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Only if you are a UK resident.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Heating help! - 16 posts
Merry Christmas - 1 posts
Another government cock-up! - 0 posts
Astra Satellite - 13 posts
TEXT Santa etc - 2 posts
Buy direct from owner and you will get a nice surprise - 0 posts
Buy direct from owner and you will get a nice sorprise - 0 posts
Buyer withdraws due to Fuera de Ordenación classification - 8 posts
Cost of installing a lift/elevator? - 0 posts
easyJet luggage charges - 0 posts
Looking for a job....Orihuela Costa - 2 posts
CAJA RURAL liable of refunds in Eurohouse, Fortuna development - 3 posts
Uk Car sale - 0 posts
villa salada - 0 posts
Internet - 7 posts
replacement coping stones for swimming pool - 2 posts
Hola Malaga, looking forward to speaking to u all - 0 posts
Have you read Platero y yo? - 0 posts
5% withholding tax on sale - 5 posts
Atlas Choice - car hire brokers - 2 posts
Gotardo Rodriguez Palmera Properties - 13 posts
loans help please - 18 posts
Montemar near La Finca, Algorfa - 1 posts
Capital gains tax - 8 posts
Moving to Spain - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 66

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x