Problem with long term rental of property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
03 Dec 2014 5:35 PM by disgruntleddave Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

I moved over here in december 2013. I found a long term rental in maspalomas via an estate agent My Home in Maspalomas. I took out the rental agreement for 6 months then a further 6 months.IU have two months still left to run on the contract expires 11th January 2015. Just after I paid the rent in November I received a letter from the courts saying the community charge had not been paid by the Owner and therefore the electric and water would be cut off to my bungalow. I informed the estate agent by email. He has just replied that the owner now has no money and needs to sell the bungalow I am currently in and I need to find alternative accomodation ASAP as the estate agent needs to sell the property. Within 2 days I will be without water or electricity. I am annoyed at this as I have a contract with the owner until January 11th and its very hard trying to find somewhere else at this time of the season. When I moved in there was only a fridge beds washing machine sofabed. I had to buy television bedding.towels.blankets.cutlery crockery oven. It looks like I may have to leave most of those here now as I have very little time left before there is no water or electric. I have had very little help from the estate agent although I would presume they are more interested in getting the money for the sale of the property. So I am going to have a miserable christmas and miserable new year. I so much looked forward to moving over here and living here but now will probably go back home to the UK to the cold weather and leave all behind.Perhaps I will be lucky and win some money on the lottery and come back and buy a property somewhere over here.

Like 0      
04 Dec 2014 3:36 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

Sorry to here your dream has ended at least you didnt own the property and have made a huge financial loss due to the collapsing housing market 

Dave stop feeling sorry for yourself pull your socks up and get on with life mate

Theres always someone worse of than you/me thats my motto

Love Hugh x

Like 4      
04 Dec 2014 6:38 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

Have to agree with Hugh, Dave. It could have been a lot worse, read some of the accounts of the losses suffered by lots of people on this forum. It's been well documented over the years.

It's certainly annoying for you but by no means as bad as you seem to imply. Pick yourself up, stop feeling sorry for yourself and look for somewhere else to live. If you can't do that after such a little set back, perhaps you are not meant to be in Spain.

Like 3      
05 Dec 2014 8:24 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

This post highlights the dangers for genuine tenants taking a long term let contract in Spain. You are at the mercy of the property owner unless you agree and insist you pay the community charges, have the utility contracts changed into your own name and get a legal contract from a qualified lawyer that mentions these conditions. That will ensure bills are paid. However it will still not protect you if the owner has a mortgage and fails to pay. In that event you may be able to come to an arrangement with the bank.

Anything less than this puts the tenant in a vulnerable position. If the owner won't agree walk away and find one who will. Banks are letting property under decent conditions perhaps the OP should try them.

Like 1      
05 Dec 2014 4:59 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Something seriously not right about this story. Unless you have a contract which states you are responsible for paying the community charge (I doubt it), and you have not fulfilled your obligation, I can't see any court instructing the owner / agent or utility companies to disconnect the services. In fact, I'm pretty sure that would be illegal. Regardless of the owner's circumstances, the agent, with the best will in the world, is not going to sell the property quickly in the current climate anyway. If you have a contract until January and are paid up in full, you have a legal right to occupy the property and to have electric and water. Even if you were squatting in the damned place, the owner would probably find himself in hot water if he disconnected the services. You have rights! Stop wasting time moaning about it on a forum & get some proper legal advice. The law here falls strongly in favour of tennants. If you want to stay in the place after your contrazct expires, just stay. Judging by the experiences of people I know who have found themselves trying to evict non-paying tennants, it will a long, long time before anyone can get you out. And if the electric or light does get cut off - call the police. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 4      
06 Dec 2014 9:41 AM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

I have never heard of a rental contract that includes water and electricity included the utilty bills are always the responsibility of the Tennant's your landlord would have to be a fool to include these in the rental agreement especially with the high cost of electricity and water I also think the poster is on a wind up..

Like 1      
06 Dec 2014 9:46 AM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

You misunderstood. I meant have the contracts changed into the tenants name which ensures from the tenants point of view the bills get paid. There is always a cost which can be negotiated. You can only do this with the utility companies by producing a legal rental contract. 

The trouble is in Spain landlords and tenants always try and cut corners and costs. Elsewhere it's done properly.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2014 10:24 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Thought similar myself and wondering if this is a way around advertising ones business because it is said any publicity, even bad is good for business 

Like 0      
06 Dec 2014 10:29 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Thought similar myself that this posting was very odd and wondering if this is a way around advertising ones business because it is said any publicity, even bad is good for business. 

On a positive note IF this REA can sell property this quickly ..he needs a medal.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2014 11:12 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If this is a way to advertise My Home in Maspalomas, the message clearly is: "Stay well clear of us!" 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Dec 2014 11:34 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Works for Ryan Air.....

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Means tested EU immigration - 8 posts
Moving back - 0 posts
Are there many of you paying mortgage fees secured with an illegal property? Paying developers second mortgage on the property you bought? - 2 posts
Polish in Spain - 6 posts
DARTFORD CROSSING - 5 posts
Contacting BMN Caja Murcia at Playa Flamenca - 1 posts
Entertainment work - 1 posts
You have got to laugh - 10 posts
Tool Hire shops in Murcia - 0 posts
New to the board. - 5 posts
guarantees on electrical goods. - 4 posts
UK LEAVING THE EU - 73 posts
Black Friday - 7 posts
The Future in Spain? - 11 posts
What are the best state schools in Malaga? - 0 posts
Help with window sizes/room sizes @ Condado Alhama - 0 posts
searching for a town to start a Bed and Breakfast - 1 posts
Taking your lawyer to court - 1 posts
used cars - 14 posts
Mifi box to take to spain do they work .? - 0 posts
What do you guys do in Spain? - 28 posts
Rainbows over Andalucia - 0 posts
Weather in January and getting internet - 0 posts
over 50k property in partners non redisent name can it avoid new tax laws? - 10 posts
More no news about Corvera and Paramount - 52 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x