Surcharge or Admin Costs?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Sep 2014 10:31 AM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Since 15th September this year a new law has been passed that bans any company from adding a ‘surcharge’ to a credit card payment. Airlines are particularly guilty of this practise. According to the law, ‘administrative costs’ are not illegal as long as the payer is informed at the commencement of a transaction. It is reported that companies that do not comply with the new regulation can be denounced for fraudulent practice.

So, it appears that the new law says ‘surcharge’ is illegal, but ‘administrative cost’ is legal -  does anyone know the difference apart from the wording?

Like 0      
25 Sep 2014 3:25 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I imagine the intention is that "surcharge" is when you are charged extra for paying by credit card, but presumably in practice this will only be actionable when the shop/seller/restaurant publicly states the practice.  Otherwise, no doubt it will be an "admin" charge.

One thing that I find annoying is when you get a bill in Euros in a restaurant or hotel and you go through the credit card process to find you've got a receipt in £ sterling, without ever being asked!  Several times I've had this corrected and subsequently on each occasion when I see my statement at the end of the month I'm 1% or 2% better off by doing so.  Probably not a surprise.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2014 4:29 PM by bajamisdeudas Star rating in 2014 GRAND AVE BALDW.... 13 posts Send private message

With that surcharges and other hidden fees, I never used credit cards anymore. I learned my lesson the hard way that almost break my confidence.

Like 0      
25 Sep 2014 4:30 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I think the change implies that they can only charge you what the credit company charges them

Whats in a name - surcharge or adminwink

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Raining in murcia ? - 13 posts
Bye bye Ruiz-Gallardon - 2 posts
12 dodgy Spanish menu translations (all genuine!!) - 3 posts
TRAVEL COT AND HIGH CHAIR UP FOR GRABS - 5 posts
Would i get a spanish mortgage - 6 posts
Sax - 0 posts
Corvera golf - 0 posts
Murcia Airport transfer - 0 posts
Ramsey's Costa del Nightmares - 9 posts
Is it Legal to pay For works done in the community without a proper invoice being presented? - 17 posts
BORED ! - 16 posts
The whereabouts of Wayne Stoneman last seen in Torrevieja and Javea. - 0 posts
Weather - 4 posts
Moving from the UK - 2 posts
House rental contracts - 5 posts
cheaper to both go autonomo or for me to employ my wife - 0 posts
Looink for most reliable wifi ni cordoba - 0 posts
GRANADA CHRISTMAS MARKET - 0 posts
Illegal European Enforcement orders - 9 posts
question re. healthcare and current medical issue. help needed - 8 posts
Hidralia - calling the helpline to set up payments - 6 posts
Endesa - billing cycle - 2 posts
Abogados in Huercal Overa area - 1 posts
GM LEGAL EXPERTS WON CASE - 1 posts
GM LEGAL EXPERTS WON CASE - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x