Transferring euros back to a UK account/broker

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Sep 2014 5:23 PM by Samui13 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi

I hope someone can offer some advice. I need to transfer a large amount of euros, ( €35K ), from a Spanish Santander account to the UK. 

is it best to use a broker for this?

would I be better off going to my Spanish Santander account and withdrawing cash in GNP. ?

does anyone know what a typical fee for Santander would be to transfer the money via a broker or direct into a UK bank account. 

Samui

Like 0      
17 Sep 2014 7:26 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

I use Transferwise but would probably divide the money into smaller amounts and exchange bit by bit as they aren't covered by the FSA. Todays rate £1000 = £789.83

Like 0      
18 Sep 2014 9:27 AM by John 777 Star rating in West Midlands. 109 posts Send private message

Don't go down the cash route, will be the worst rate. Use one of the better known brokers such as XE.com, Hifix etc. Might not get the absolute best rate on the market, but your money ought to be safe! XE don't charge for transfers between accounts in same names ie Joe Bloggs to Joe Bloggs. You would still have the Santander charges in Spain for paying Euro's to your chosen brokers Spanish Bank account though.

Might even be worth getting a quote off Santander, Banks tend to have poor rates for low value transactions but not always so bad for higher value transactions although they might not regard 35k as high value.

Like 0      
18 Sep 2014 10:02 AM by theline Star rating. 84 posts Send private message

I used Transferwise to transfer money for the purchase of my flat (~80k euros). No problem at all, and much better rate than the other competitors mentioned here (although I have used them both in the past and they have offered a good service too).

Also, if you change it all as cash, you'll probably be asked a load of questions about where the money came from by both the UK and Spanish authorities (although in your case it should be pretty easy to prove).

Like 0      
18 Sep 2014 10:40 AM by Samui13 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Yes if I go down the cash route I will have a full paper trail of where the money come from and how it was obtained. 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Packing Boxes! BoxesMalaga . com - 1 posts
Car insurance and Motor bike insurance - 8 posts
Iberdrola Account Taken Over - 2 posts
Knights insuramce - 5 posts
Anybody bought one of these or looked at them ? - 8 posts
Gizza job! - 4 posts
Polytunnels - 37 posts
Victims of Rebecca Prior/Wells - 0 posts
Remove My Profile From This Site Please - 0 posts
spanish Mortgage Life Insurance Confusion Costs del Sol - 12 posts
SPECIAL OFFER ON PRICE UNTIL 01/01/2020 - 0 posts
Has anybody use these guys for breakdown cover. - 3 posts
Buying or putting a property into a UK ltd company - 5 posts
Denia - What can you tell me? - 1 posts
Best Software Photo Slideshow - 1 posts
FERAL CATS in Mazarron Area...a problem - 0 posts
Landlord wants to sell - 24 posts
Trying to rent a garage/storage space in San Javier region - 2 posts
New Flag after 18th Sept - 27 posts
Supreme Court and Bank liabilities 57/68 - 4 posts
Hidralia - Water bill question - 2 posts
Pension application - 0 posts
Even the weak Euro is strong. - 5 posts
APARTMENT WANTED FOR JAN 2015 - 0 posts
Setting up Electricity and Water Bill Payments Online - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x