Big Dog-Big Sun?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by MEREHEAD Star rating in North Wales. 15 posts Send private message

MEREHEAD´s avatar

How do you think I will get on taking my Japanes Akita to Spain for 3 months  June-Aug,She weighs in at 50 kgs and has a big furry coat.?

Some folk tell me she will never survive the heat.If you have a big dog I am interested to hear how you manage?

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 6:35 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

I saw Samoyeds in Madrid earlier this year.

They are pretty hairy.   I know cos I have one that's going with me later this year to CB.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 9:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I can only imagine your type of dog & with all that fur will be very stressed in the heat in those months. I think it would be different to some degree if you were going earlier in the year so she could get used to the heat gradually & learn to cope better. Maybe  their systems know how to cope as long as they have ample water & shade.

In your post asking for a rental you said you had a dog, you didn't say you had 50 kgs of one.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2007 8:39 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've read this question before and the answer was OK.  Dogs have there own cooling system, panting, and as long as they have shade and plenty of water then they will cope better than you will in the heat.

Some people clip their dogs but unless it's a breed that is always clipped them I wouldn't recommend it.  Keep them out of the sun and it should be ok.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2007 9:51 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

The Samoyed society advise against clipping in the hotter climates.

It causes them to get heatstroke because they lose the protection and insulation of their coats. The dense white coat actually helps to cool.

Laury

Laury

Like 0      
20 Dec 2007 9:52 PM by Lauryc Star rating in Was South Devon .. n.... 520 posts Send private message

Lauryc´s avatar

Double posted.   Dohhh

This message was last edited by Lauryc on 12/20/2007.

Laury

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

urb meeting. re security guards - 0 posts
urb meeting. re security guards - 0 posts
internet Access in rented apartments - 1 posts
Rental Advertising - Free v Paid - 1 posts
towels sheets etc. - 9 posts
towels sheets etc. - 31 posts
Part Loads & Storage - 0 posts
looking to buy in Pego/Monte Pego area. - 1 posts
PET ADVICE? - 9 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL REQUIRED - 3 posts
Festivals in Murcia - 1 posts
Mortman - 11 posts
Camposol sector A - 24 posts
Villamartin, nr Torrevieja/San Miguel new 3 bed 3 bath terraced villa available till end May - 0 posts
Good lawyer in Almeria - 0 posts
Help with Spanish Mortgages... - 23 posts
first timer and not sure what to do !! - 4 posts
Help!...where do I HAVE to visit between Murcia and Seville.... - 4 posts
4+ bed required almunecar - benajarafe - 0 posts
Royal Executive Marbella - 10 posts
Rioja-Properties - 0 posts
hi - 2 posts
buying partner out - 0 posts
Hello - 2 posts
Jim - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x