Is Spain only for the wealthy now?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jul 2014 12:58 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Reading lots of posts on different forums, it seems that most people iin Spain are on multiple pensions, and are already living like lords  while still awaiting their state pensions.

it used to be the case that pensioners retired to Spain to eke out their meagre state pensions, while warming their old bones in the sun.

now, we have a new wealthy strata, usually in their fifties, who don't blink an eyelid at the fluctuations in the exchange rate as it really doesn't affect them, they've got enough not to bother. When the state pension eventually arrives it's pocket money. New cars, add a few more terraces and balustrades to the villa- well, they've got to find something to spend the money on , to save the kids paying IHT on the humungous inheritance- oh sorry, they invested it all into a UK ciompany.

They might worry a bit about  the 720, and the tax man seeing details of their bank balance and vast investments, but pay their financial advisors huge commissions to set up Spain friendly bonds etc. while other expats leave their modest savings exposed.

Now, the poorer ex pats sell their houses for peanuts and slink back to the UK, fearful that if they become incapable in old age, there will be nothing for them in Spain, whereas their wealthy counterparts know they can book in to a residential complex when the time comes, all needs catered for.

Will Spain become , to paraphrase the film title " No country for expats on modest pensions" ?

Like 1      
06 Jul 2014 10:33 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

Putting it simply....NO !!

Like 6      
07 Jul 2014 12:09 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Care to enlarge on that?

Like 1      
07 Jul 2014 3:59 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Hi Camposol - interesting observations, and there is no doubt life is more difficult for those who moved over without plenty of money behind them.  BUT to be fair, I don't think Spain (or really any other country) is a good place to be an expat in if all you have is a state pension to live off.   For those of us who have worked in Spain, the pension system can work in our favour, but I have said many times on here that moving to a new country, where you don't speak the language or know the sytem, is always going to be high risk if you do not have enough money.    But to be honest, it just horrifies me that any one thinks they can live anywhere on a UK state pension, and I don't believe they were designed to be the only source of income (ok - in the very early days when people were sucked into 'cradle to grave' nonsense).   I have never understood the appeal of retirement, in the sun or otherwise, on a shoestring.   Just my opinion.    

Like 6      
07 Jul 2014 11:28 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

Camposol,  I do not see any of the expats that you see, 

where I live it is older expats who have worked hard all of 

their life and saved money and been sensible and

planned ahead, they have also done research without

the need to leave their modest savings exposed and not

retired 'on a wing and a prayer' hoping somewhat that

life is easy and cheap in Spain , as seems to be the reasons

of some of those that have had to slink back to the UK as you 

have put, sorry to dislike and disagree with your post.

Like 7      
08 Jul 2014 8:47 AM by randolph Star rating. 167 posts Send private message

We've been coming over twice year by ferry for the last 10 years. 

We are not in the set described by Camposol but, over the years, we have noticed a marked difference in the type/standard of vehicles on the ferry.  In the beginning the majority were 'middle of the range' ( with a smattering of over-stuffed clapped out vans)

For the last couple of years the cars are predominantly new and upmarket, mixed with fine examples  of old classics. My husband, a car enthusiast, spends the hours of queuing drooling over the vehicles around us. 

Like 1      
08 Jul 2014 12:12 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Sox- I understand that someone might not agree with my view, that's why we discuss things on these forums, but "dislike ?" There is nothing to like or dislike- it's an opinion!

Like 2      
08 Jul 2014 3:34 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

There must be quite a few ex pats on this forum who are in the position that Camposol describes. They may take exception to the way they are being talked about. Yes, make your point but why be so nasty about it. They haven't done anything wrong by having money or coming over better prepared than someone expecting to live on a UK state pension.

Like 3      
08 Jul 2014 3:53 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

The only thing worse than worrying about money is worrying about other people's money.

Like 3      
08 Jul 2014 3:54 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

No need to be touchy- it 's just an observation on how things have changed since people started retiring to Spain. When they first started retiring here, many did not have private or occupational pensions, just the state pension and money left over from the sale of the UK home.

now there is a much more prosperous ex pat, on generous pensions, usually government. They may also have inherited money from parents, whereas earlier ex pats mostly didn't. 

No need to get offended, especially if you're in the latter category!

Like 0      
08 Jul 2014 3:54 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

No need to be touchy- it 's just an observation on how things have changed since people started retiring to Spain. When they first started retiring here, many did not have private or occupational pensions, just the state pension and money left over from the sale of the UK home.

now there is a much more prosperous ex pat, on generous pensions, usually government. They may also have inherited money from parents, whereas earlier ex pats mostly didn't. 

No need to get offended, especially if you're in the latter category!

Like 0      
08 Jul 2014 3:58 PM by sox Star rating. 81 posts Send private message

The dislike was due to the undertones in your comments,

You obviously dont like the people you are making observations of !!  Why cast aspersions of people until you know the their facts, as eileen 66 has stated they might simply have been better prepared or been lucky in life, good luck to them.

Like 6      
08 Jul 2014 4:02 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It is not for you to tell me who I like or don't like! 

There is nothing in my post casting aspersions on anyone else.

if you choose to read your own meanings into it that's your problem!

Like 1      
08 Jul 2014 4:21 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Dejavu. There is always a pattern to these posts. Insult people and then take offence when other forum members call you on it.

Like 3      
08 Jul 2014 4:27 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

A) I did not insult anyone

B) I am not offended, just bemused by the reaction of some people, unable to take an objective view instead of a personal one!

Like 0      
08 Jul 2014 4:40 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

Maybe it's the copious exclamation marks that led me to the conclusion that you were offended.

Like 3      
08 Jul 2014 4:45 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Er...... 1 exclamation point.

in other posts, used for emphasis, as other posters can't seem to get the message!!

Like 0      
08 Jul 2014 4:54 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Hmm - you kinda are critical camposol - maybe unintentionally.  'Living like Lords....'

or 

'pocket money'' 'New cars, add a few more terraces and balustrades to the villa- well, they've got to find something to spend the money on , to save the kids paying IHT on the humungous inheritance- oh sorry, they invested it all into a UK ciompany.'

'They might worry a bit about  the 720, and the tax man seeing details of their bank balance and vast investments, but pay their financial advisors huge commissions to set up Spain friendly bonds etc. while other expats leave their modest savings exposed.'

Its a tad critical!!!!   And (sadly), very bitter.

Like 6      
08 Jul 2014 5:01 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Nothing wrong with being critical and observant of my fellow ex pat!

bitter- well, let's just say, I don't fall into the relying on the state pension only category.

PS must go, got to have a cuppa on my terrace, overlooking the pool.life gets tedious dontcha know!

This message was last edited by camposol on 08/07/2014.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2014 5:12 PM by eileen66 Star rating in Glasgow. 67 posts Send private message

I think this a great site and the only time I am ever tempted to leave is when Camposol starts threads like this. The topic is valid and interesting , the way it is worded is not. If the comments were directed towards an individual person they would probably be removed but because they are generalised that seems to be ok. In my opinion, they're not.

Like 4      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

setting up bed and breakfast mallorca - 2 posts
Satellite tv booster - 5 posts
C.C.T.V. Yes or No - 9 posts
A mystery... Animal on roof lifting roof tiles to get at wasp nests? Any others have similar problem? - 4 posts
Corvera airport - 35 posts
Moving goods from UK to Spain - 21 posts
transferring money from spain to england. - 9 posts
ADVICE RE RENTING IN MURCIA/BOLNUEVO AREA FOR 6-12 MONTHS - 23 posts
Can UK medications be posted to a Spanish address? - 3 posts
Spanish say good riddance to departing Brit expats - 7 posts
How do I stand with evicting someone who has no contract and does not pay rent. - 19 posts
Spanish Deposit Account Question - 1 posts
Spain Fails Again - 0 posts
Engraving jewellery while you wait - 1 posts
Have you been "ripped off"? ... read the attached article - 14 posts
Estepona: English speaking doctor in Spanish Haelthcare System? - 1 posts
Endesa online form - Landline?!! - 2 posts
NEW CASE WON! againsg SGR and BBVA in Herrada del Tollo - 1 posts
Buying in Valencia - 3 posts
Native English teacher wanted - 0 posts
New Here & Greetings from Barcelona - 1 posts
Rental - 3 posts
WANTED: Illustration artists who can draw cute cats and / or dogs. $500 per project - 0 posts
Where to buy Udo's oil in Spain - 1 posts
Legal tip 1175. NEW! CASE WON: Orihuela Courts explains Banks Liabilities of law 57/68 28 June 2014 So proud of Judges in my country who are punishing Banks for their illegal operation during the Spanish Real Estate boom. This case, which wsa notified - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x