FREE MEDICAL COVER JUST BY BEING RESIDENT IN SPAIN

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jun 2014 11:18 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

This is info which I received from a friend who is a USA national (with a Chinese wife) it seems they will get free national health cover.  He has Residencia (not just the EU Citizens Registration, i.e. the green paper) as he is from outside the EU.

If he and his wife are entitled to free cover, then it may be of considerable interest to many others.

I would appreciate comments on this, from those who have knowledge and maybe can point us to where we can read the facts.

Guesses and ‘I would assume.. ‘ posts will not be helpful to those to who need to know, so if possible may I request that general comments be opened in another thread, so as not to confuse those needing help ?

Thanks  John.

My friend’s email:- 

My experiences so far.

Yesterday I went to present my documents at the Oficina de Extranjeros in Malaga…with attorney Oscar ***  who specializes in RESIDENCIA matters.

When they saw that I have a membership with Helicoperos Sanitarios all they asked was that I have my wife included in that membership, which is NOT at all expensive. To have her included to the end of the current period (September ´14) will cost me EUROS 25! That will generate the paper I need to satisfy the minions that be. We will then, after registering at the Seguro Social in Malaga, be entitled to inclusion in the Spanish healthcare system. 

In an earlier conversation with Oscar I asked why the officials ask for private health care insurance from a RESIDENT, like me, who actually does not need it to be included in the Spain system once he is a Resident. He asked me if I had had any health issues in Spain since I´ve been a resident and I told him, YES! He asked how that was paid and I told him by my private insurance, which I had at the time because I was under 70 and could buy it. I then told him that I didn´t know then that as a Resident that I could have had those health issues taken care of inside the Spain system. He just smiled! It was/is obvious to me that the Spanish don´t want foreigners to get benefits that they, the Spanish, pay for any more than you Brits and we Yanks like it when all sorts of immigrants leach off our social services without them paying anything into it/them.

Like 0      
26 Jun 2014 12:56 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

I am not sure but if you "sign on" with the social security as a resident looking for work then you should get the same entitlements as an unemployed Spaniard which includes health care.

Like 1      
26 Jun 2014 1:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Inciting - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 7/4/2014 3:58:00 PM.

Like 0      
26 Jun 2014 1:45 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

It's not hidden, it's the same law that allows UK expats health facilities, provided they have no cover elsewhere, and earn under €100,000. It's known as "sins recurso". In addition to covering citizens if the EE/EAA who qualify, it also covers citizens of other countries who are properly registered. I.e have a residents card, providing they were registered before 24th April 2012.

Like 0      
26 Jun 2014 2:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Thanks Kathyslad.

So EU citizens and Non EU citizens, who needed to prove they had medical cover, to either Register as EU Citizens (green paper) or to get Residencia Status as non EU citizens, who registered before 24th April 2012, can now cancel their private cover and sign on and get free cover ?

Or have I missed something ?

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/06/2014.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 26/06/2014.

Like 0      
26 Jun 2014 4:17 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Johnzx- its all on the UK  government website. The thing about being a fiscal  resident before 24th April 2012, and income under 100,000 in order to be eligible for free health care is  well known and  has been  publicised in the free press and other ex pat forums for ages.

This message was last edited by camposol on 26/06/2014.

This message was last edited by camposol on 26/06/2014.

Like 3      
28 Jun 2014 5:49 AM by pginfo1 Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

really wow that news is so good

Like 0      
28 Jun 2014 8:41 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 28/06/2014.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 7/4/2014 3:59:00 PM.

Like 3      
28 Jun 2014 10:02 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Thumbs down....

Truth hurts.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 7/4/2014 3:56:00 PM.

Like 2      
29 Jun 2014 6:57 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by Tadd1966 on 29/06/2014.

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 7/4/2014 4:00:00 PM.

Like 2      
29 Jun 2014 9:44 AM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Sometimes there is great information on this forum, other times it reminds of the school playground 50 years. This is the main reason I only post occasionally now.

Although Johnzx's post could have been phrased better, I think he was trying to stop it drifting, which also happens quite frequently.

Just in case you think otherwise, I have had big rows with Johnzx both publicly and privately, usually about issues and information though, rather than playground stuff.

Like 4      
29 Jun 2014 10:07 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Kathyslad

Fair comment but many threads drift - natural on a forum and people should not even try to make their own rules we can choose to drift or not, comment or not, ignore or not, be it childish, irritating or whatever

I do take exception to people trying to dictate to others what they can post or not (right or wrong!!!) especially when they use hearsay as a starter on a thread, which makes it even worse and  hypocritical at best

hey ho! thats what forums are forsmiley

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

125 scooter - 5 posts
Form 210 submission for rental income if no taxes due - 0 posts
Bank draft when selling house - 26 posts
Conversation about the World cup in Spanish - 0 posts
Spanish Property - Can we help ourselves? - 5 posts
Government takes steps to avoid incomplete information on the land register - 16 posts
Filing Deadline for Form 210 for Declaring Rental Income - 1 posts
Removing gas installation in Spain - 3 posts
Compensation from builder - who benefits? - 3 posts
communities - 8 posts
Core Amateur Series Espana 2014 (Register your Interest) - 0 posts
Compensation pay out - who benefits - 0 posts
Income tax - 7 posts
Moving to Spain? Some advice (a perspective / an option) - 14 posts
Film On and the World Cup - FIFA ban - 8 posts
First year Spain experience,advice appreciated - 0 posts
Where is the nearest branch of Bankia to Malaga Railway Station - 1 posts
Can anyone recommend a good Proxy service? - 5 posts
Change to NIF numbers - 2 posts
Lemon, rescue kitty looking for a home (costa blanca and Murcia area) - 0 posts
Car Deliver Spain/UK/Spain - 9 posts
Rental Frustration! - 8 posts
licence groups - 2 posts
Santander bank - 14 posts
Santander bank - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x