Possible forecourt scam - overcharging for fuel

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 May 2014 6:54 PM by Scooby2 Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Scooby2´s avatar

I have just returned from purchasing fuel at a well known supermarket chain. When I arrived at the pump it was showing the previous customer's total of 42c for 0.27 litres of fuel - an odd amount, which is why I remember it. When I removed the nozzle from the pump the digits did not reset, nor (as I remember) was there the usual "You have selected Diesel" or whatever it is that the automatic voice says in Spanish. I looked towards the cash kiosk for a response but as I didn't get one I left the fuel nozzle in the filler of my car and went over. I asked them if the pump was working and they (two young women) told me it was. They told me to squeeze the trigger, but I said that the numbers were not at zero. They said it was OK so I went back to the car. As the display still showed the same amount as it had when I first arrived I replaced the nozzle in the pump and drove to the one next to it. There, everything worked as normal and I filled the car with fuel to the value of 55,00€. At the kiosk I paid with my credit card. I could not see the amount on the till display but when I checked my receipt I had been charged the additional 42c. I protested, but as my Spanish is not perfect they simply dismissed me, and my wife told me not to make a fuss.

OK, only 42p you may say. But this is not the frst time. Last time (at the same fuel station) I had 60c added to my bill, which I didn't notice at the time I paid. On that occasion the attendant had told me to replace the nozzle and try again. I didn't notice the discrepancy until I got home. If the attendant can get away with this every 10 minutes for an average of 50c then that amounts to a 120€ weekly bonus, based on a 40 hour week. Most people, like me, are not going to complain over such a trivial amount.

Keep your wits about you. Make sure the display shows all zeroes before you start to fill up... and hope you are not going to be charged if they don't reset!

Like 0      
10 May 2014 10:02 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

And you went back?  Is there  a shortage of fuel stations around you?   Why not try one of the excellent smaller institutions - they will even fill your car for you.  

Like 0      
10 May 2014 11:13 PM by Scooby2 Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

Scooby2´s avatar

Yes, I went back as their fuel is about 5p/litre cheaper and I couldn't say for sure it wasn't a genuine mistake. I won't be back now, nor in the superstore....

Like 0      
11 May 2014 8:11 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Scooby,  If there was a problem with the pump then there is no way the attendant could 'steal' the extra as it would be accounted for in the system and also as you say it was shown on the company receipt, so only the company would be making the extra. 

I filled my motor cycle with fuel one time.  It was I knew almost empty.  However, the pump showed that  I put in a little more than the actual capacity of the tank.  I questioned the accuracy of the pump and the attendant using a measured one litre container put one litre, shown on the pump, into the container. The pump showed the one litre and so did the container. I could only assume that the tank on my bike was a little larger than the manufacture showed in the manual.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Ryanair Complaint Letter - 3 posts
Who looks after your holiday let's? ??? - 0 posts
Anyone on here from Daya Vieja? - 5 posts
NIE numbers - 29 posts
Pet Insurance - Advice needed - 5 posts
Housing Market - latest report - 0 posts
MY FAVOURITE SPANIARD - 0 posts
Terrace Tile Grout - 9 posts
mijas town hall - 2 posts
Recommended bank accounts in Spain - 3 posts
What is the process for registering with the Social Security office in Spain? - 1 posts
The truth or lies? - 6 posts
WHY DON'T MORE SPANISH LEARN ENGLISH - 32 posts
EGM agenda - 2 posts
Do you know about VPN? - 0 posts
uk or spanish licence - 34 posts
IT IS QUITE BEYOND MY UNDERSTANDING - 11 posts
Name of beach game - 6 posts
Is this lack of info strange from an agent ? - 1 posts
Mobile phone!!! What's best deals??? - 6 posts
Inheritance Tax - 30 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 0 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 0 posts
Will Astra 2G Reinstate UK TV in Spain - 5 posts
Working regulations - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x