Terrace Tile Grout

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 May 2014 8:58 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Hi,

I am using Google Chrome to translate both the AKI and Leroy Merlin websites to look for 'Brick Acid' to clean excess mortar from when the the tiles have been grouted by a previous owner, as well as a grout suitable for re-grouting exterior ceramic floor tiles and am getting totally confused with some of the translations for the grout, as for the brick acid I can't find anything.  

I believe the new resin based grouts last quite a few years before having to be re-grouted again and I would also like the option of either Grey or Black grout

Can any fellow EOS DIYers offer any advice on the Spanish names of suitable products, or recommend any products?

Thanks

kelju

Like 0      
07 May 2014 9:45 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

just found that Brick Acid is 'Quita cementos'

Like 0      
08 May 2014 7:48 AM by lorraine56 Star rating in Granada Spain. 51 posts Send private message

grout is called pasta de juntas ( joint paste ) and normally comes in white, grey, beige or black, 

Like 1      
08 May 2014 9:36 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Kelju,    Muriatic Acid is used to clean mortar off bricks, tiles etc-

However agua fuerta (about 20% hydrochloric acid) does the job very well.  But be aware, just like  muriatic acid,  it is very corrosive, so whenever you are using it exercise extreme care.

I am still astounded that it is usually to be found on the bottom shelf, at children in pushchairs level, in the supermarket.

Cemento Blanco (which also comes in grey) is a waterproof material which is used in swimming pools and works well as a grout.

Like 0      
09 May 2014 2:28 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks both,  any idea what Cemento Cola is???

Is it tile adhesive?

Kelju

Like 0      
09 May 2014 2:45 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Thanks both,  any idea what Cemento Cola is???

It is tile cement for fixing tiles. Cola is a general word for glue, although it has other meanings too

This message was last edited by johnzx on 09/05/2014.

Like 0      
09 May 2014 8:44 PM by hughjardon Star rating in Jaywick Sands. 418 posts Send private message

hughjardon´s avatar

Dont use brick acid on tiles you NUMPTY HEAD you will destroy the glaze and the tile will be ruined some people

Like 2      
10 May 2014 7:30 AM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks johnzx

hughjardon - I will bear your advice in mind.  The apartment belongs to my Son who is not practical in the DIY sense, he has only just bought it and I visited the apartment for a couple of days shortly after the purchase (hence all the questions).  I noticed the terrace had had a previous attempt to point the tiles usng a sand and cement mix and that most of this had in places been smeared onto and over the edge of the tile making it look a right mess.

I am only trying to establish what I might need when I revisit in June, when I thought I might help him out and re-grout his terrace for him, if the mortar mix will come of the tiles easily then there will no need to use anything any harsher than soap, water and a scraper - just hedging my bets that's all.

kelju 

Like 0      
10 May 2014 9:06 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Dont use brick acid on tiles you .....  "edited" ....you will destroy the glaze and the tile will be ruined .......

kelju, It is most unlikely that you have glazed tiles:   Firstly because that kind of tile is very slippery when wet, thus not suitable for a terrace floor,  and secondly, it is very unlikely that mortar mix would stick to a glazed surface (even if one wanted to do tha).

Also, aqua fuerte is used widely in Spain to clean the calcium depot off toilet bowl,  i.e. a glazed surface just like glazed tiles. 

Of course if used on tiles, once the mortar has been removed one should wash the tiles with clean water. (taking care not to let the 'contaminated' water run down onto any property below yours).

I have been cleaning an area of my terrace, where I get over-spill from my automatic watering system which leaves a calcium stain on the tiles, for 12 years. Just to sure I just inspected it. There is no difference between those tiles and the others on the terrace.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 10/05/2014.
This message was last edited by johnzx on 10/05/2014.

Like 0      
15 May 2014 7:41 PM by kelju Star rating in South Yorkshire . 302 posts Send private message

kelju´s avatar

Thanks johnzx, practical advice as ever.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

mijas town hall - 2 posts
Recommended bank accounts in Spain - 3 posts
What is the process for registering with the Social Security office in Spain? - 1 posts
The truth or lies? - 6 posts
WHY DON'T MORE SPANISH LEARN ENGLISH - 32 posts
EGM agenda - 2 posts
Do you know about VPN? - 0 posts
uk or spanish licence - 34 posts
IT IS QUITE BEYOND MY UNDERSTANDING - 11 posts
Name of beach game - 6 posts
Is this lack of info strange from an agent ? - 1 posts
Mobile phone!!! What's best deals??? - 6 posts
Inheritance Tax - 30 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 0 posts
Long term apartment required for rent - 0 posts
Will Astra 2G Reinstate UK TV in Spain - 5 posts
Working regulations - 0 posts
Looking for Work Mazarron Region - 2 posts
Tribute festival - 0 posts
CÉDULA DE HABITABILIDAD - 53 posts
La Caixa bank - 0 posts
RosieMac - 15 posts
Hola - from a Scot in Lebrija - 0 posts
Berlingo - rear parcel shelf problem - 5 posts
Building a carport but where do I buy the wood? - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x