Registering a van

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
07 Aug 2007 12:00 AM by jmtwsm Star rating in Sabinillas CDS. 191 posts Send private message

jmtwsm´s avatar
Hi,

We will be moving soon to the Sabinillas area and wish to register my van onto Spanish plates. It is a LHD Opel Vivaro 1.9D 2002 with the correct headlights and KPH speedo and originally came from Belgium, although it is presently on English plates.
I have heard that I only have 30 days to register a van, is this true ?
Any help,tips or advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Jon

Like 0      
29 Aug 2007 8:31 PM by speedliner Star rating in Benissa, Alicante. 8 posts Send private message

never heard that one before !! try looking round the many expat forums herein spain i'm sure this question must've come upbefore.

Good luck

Like 0      
11 Sep 2007 12:19 PM by Liz Fox Star rating in Coria del Rio, Sevil.... 9 posts Send private message

You can't change a van to Spanish plates - only "turismos" (cars) can be changed over.  If anyone has managed to change a van over please let me know which ITV to go to!!!

Like 0      
14 Sep 2007 11:16 PM by jmtwsm Star rating in Sabinillas CDS. 191 posts Send private message

jmtwsm´s avatar

Liz Fox wrote:   You can't change a van over to a Spanish vehicle.  We are the same as you and can't afford to replace our with a Spanish van because they cost so much.  The only vehicle that you can change to a Spanish vehicle is a "turismo" ie car.

I don't think that is correct.   I have been informed that it is only RHD vans that can't be registered on to Spanish plates.   LHD vans like my Belgian Opel Vivaro registered on UK plates are fine.

This rule is totally logical, as driving a van with the steering wheel on the wrong side can be very difficult at certain junctions, as I have found out using my LHD van in the UK.   On one particular local junction, I have to climb onto the passenger seat to see backwards out of the window and when the road is clear, jump back, release the handbrake, engage gear and pull out quickly before a car comes.  The seatbelt is re-fastened between 3rd and 4th gear.

I'll be glad when I have moved to Spain so I can relax on the roads !!!!!

Jon

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 5:42 AM by dnorth Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

you can register a van in spain as long as its lhd and as a european certificate of comformity.you need to find your local (historia d  automobile ) and they will do it for you

Like 0      
07 Apr 2008 4:52 PM by Motoring Matters Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

As said before, yes you can register a LHD van here in Spain. The 30 day rule has now increased to 60 days. This means once you have signed on to a padron (convivencia) you have 60 days to register the vehicle without paying emission (import) tax. Go over this and you must pay.

www.motoringmattersspain.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Having a WiFi hotspot installed for the community - 6 posts
Has anyone has a paddle tennis or sports court built? - 0 posts
Vista Del Guadiana - 2 posts
Moving to Quesada next year (early I hope) - 10 posts
Anyone use Xe.com for money transfers? - 14 posts
Be Careful at Malaga Airport - 0 posts
moving to spain - 4 posts
Badajoz - 3 posts
New to site and looking at El Bosque Mairena development...... - 1 posts
Importing furniture from Far East - 0 posts
MOSQUITOS - 84 posts
flights to seville - 3 posts
Listen online to your favourite radio stations on the Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Roda golf apartment. - 0 posts
CHRISTMAS AWAY FROM "HOME"....WHERE THOUGH ?? - 2 posts
Habitation License - 1 posts
Home owner in Balsicas - 7 posts
From off plan to village life - 2 posts
Ceiling light electricity wire colours - 18 posts
Map of Cuidad Quesada? - 2 posts
lOS ALCAZARES - 13 posts
Nanny State...Forum - 0 posts
I have a meeting at Manilva town hall on Wednesday - 1 posts
El Moscatel - Manilva - 7 posts
Air Conditioning and Security Grills - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x